Author Topic: terrorist attack in paris  (Read 14045 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: terrorist attack in paris
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 12:05:26 pm »
If this was a few years ago I would be all for the US kicking ISIS in their AK-47 waving Koran misrepresenting asses, but I got a cousin that might be sent to fight these guys. Never have I been so conflicted in how I want a group of horrible people dealt with.
Yeah, war is a lot less appealing when you, or people you care about, are likely to be harmed by the war.

Anyway, there was a rather well written Finnish writing about this strike saying that the Islamophobic backlash that comes from these attacks is probably one of the major reasons for making them. ISIS preaches that the whole world is at war with Islam and every muslim must join the fight, when these attacks cause hate against all the muslims, rather than just the terrorists, ISIS and other such terror groups benefit as they get more recruits.

It's not the only reasons for terrorist attacks, creating fear and making a show of strength are also a big deal but creating more hatred is also important for these terrorists.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2015, 12:30:55 pm »
@zygarde: i share the sentiment. i've got friends in the army too and i smell a land war.

@askold: very well said, on the other hand it might cause some to try and distance themselves as much as possible from the terrorists, like what the association of the imams of france are probably doing right now.

@ironbite: be it the paratroops or the legion, there will be blood. unfortunately. my feed is half compassion and half bloodlust.

also, the toulousan "metal family" (which i'm part of) has lost at least five members, they were at the show. grief and rage in equal measure abound. oddly enough, directed solely towards terrorism and not towards islam.

body count is over 130.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2015, 12:45:58 pm »
If Muslims face enough xenophobia in their everyday life it doesn't matter what the Imams' organization says. There are enough radical preachers around both offline and specially online to convince people who are pissed off that they need to fight back and organizations like ISIS provide a way for them to take action.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2015, 03:12:22 pm »
If this was a few years ago I would be all for the US kicking ISIS in their AK-47 waving Koran misrepresenting asses, but I got a cousin that might be sent to fight these guys. Never have I been so conflicted in how I want a group of horrible people dealt with.

My parents are both retired Navy, and I have relatives in the Marines. Nevertheless, if going in after ISIS is what is needed (and I think it probably is), I understand that that is what they signed up to do, and they knew the potential costs when they joined. I would still be worried, but ultimately if your cousin is sent there, you should be proud of him and support him.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 05:51:32 pm »
Grab a tissue first.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynsq5ms9lvI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynsq5ms9lvI</a>
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
So, I live in Paris. About two hundred meters away from the Bataclan, in fact.

I had a group of friends at my place friday.

What started as a fun gaming evening slowly turned into a night of us listening for the noise of firearms, trying to get news of everyone we knew could be in the area, people calling and news notifications piping up like crazy clockworks to add to the bodycount and the horrors.

I'm... fine. I don't know any of the victims. A friend of my friend was at the concert, and he's wounded. Nothing life-threatening, but still. My previous flatmate was close, really close to the bombs at the Stade de France, and others were having a drink right next to the places that were shot up. Most of them, along with my players, slept at my place, some spent the evening holed up in bars, iron curtains drawn to a close and waiting for cops to come and get them out. My cousin is a cop, and he ended up guarding the perimeter while the assault was taking place. He seems to be ok, but he doesn't really want to talk about it.

I'm still processing. Taking care of my gf, who's pretty shell-shocked. She was close to the second shooting in January (right next door, in fact), and close friday, and she is understandably shaken. I'm afraid. Angry. Aghast at those who are already trying to spin this in their far-right rethoric.

I've been spending the weekend taking care of friends, answering calls to confirm that I was ok. My mom was terrified : she got to sleep early on friday and missed everything, and was up sooner than I was. She knows I live in the area, and I can't believe what passed throught her mind. I'm still confused as to how I got to sleep without sending her at least at text to tell her I was allright.

I'm... ok, I guess, but shaken. As soon as I'm not taking care of someone, I start feeling a bit... empty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 04:30:37 pm »
Good to know that you are fine LeTipex.

I actually recognize that symptom you have. When I was in a car crash I was able to act as long as there was something to do. The moment when I sat down in the ambulance and knew that my part was over and I would now just be going along with what the EMT personnel were doing was when the stress finally hit me.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 04:38:12 pm »
It won't matter to the far right asshats but it's looking like the passport that they found near one of the terrorists is probably a fake

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 04:39:33 pm »
holy crap, real glad you're ok, tipex. it must be hell on earth even now.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2015, 05:02:57 pm »
Wish I knew what to say, LeTipex.

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »
Good to know that you are fine LeTipex.

I actually recognize that symptom you have. When I was in a car crash I was able to act as long as there was something to do. The moment when I sat down in the ambulance and knew that my part was over and I would now just be going along with what the EMT personnel were doing was when the stress finally hit me.
Yeah, stress does have a way of getting me to shut down. Me and my girlfriend are talking about getting professional help, if only to be able to determine wether we need to see a shrink long term or not.
holy crap, real glad you're ok, tipex. it must be hell on earth even now.
It's... curiously calm. Yesterday was terribly creepy : I live on Oberkampf, and saturday nights are usually monstruously busy, but there was nearly no-one out during the evening. Understandably.

I have trouble finding sleep, it seems : I'm really supposed to be in bed right now, but instead I'm geeking and trying to keep my mind off of things.
Wish I knew what to say, LeTipex.
There's nothing to say, really. I'm not a victim, I don't know any of them directly... I'm just in a bit of shock. It'll pass, I'm pretty sure of that.

Thanks to all of you for your support. You are good people. ^^

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2015, 05:51:37 pm »
I see the French have already begun their response:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/15/middleeast/france-announces-raqqa-airstrikes-on-isis/index.html

(CNN)French fighter jets bombed a series of ISIS sites in Raqqa, Syria, on Sunday in what officials described as a major bombardment.

The targets included a command center, a recruitment center, an ammunition storage base and a training camp for the terror group, said Mickael Soria, press adviser for France's defense minister.

ISIS claims Raqqa as the capital of its so-called caliphate. The airstrikes come two days after a series of terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which France's President described as "an act of war."

Twelve aircraft, including 10 fighter jets, were involved in Sunday's airstrikes, Soria said.

Twenty bombs were dropped, he said, and all of the targets were destroyed.

I know this is probably inappropriate of me to say, but good on France. This sort of attack deserves the harshest of retribution, short of nuclear attack, and it's good to see them beginning so quickly. France doesn't wait around!
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2015, 06:02:52 pm »
I see the French have already begun their response:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/15/middleeast/france-announces-raqqa-airstrikes-on-isis/index.html

(CNN)French fighter jets bombed a series of ISIS sites in Raqqa, Syria, on Sunday in what officials described as a major bombardment.

The targets included a command center, a recruitment center, an ammunition storage base and a training camp for the terror group, said Mickael Soria, press adviser for France's defense minister.

ISIS claims Raqqa as the capital of its so-called caliphate. The airstrikes come two days after a series of terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday. ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, which France's President described as "an act of war."

Twelve aircraft, including 10 fighter jets, were involved in Sunday's airstrikes, Soria said.

Twenty bombs were dropped, he said, and all of the targets were destroyed.

I know this is probably inappropriate of me to say, but good on France. This sort of attack deserves the harshest of retribution, short of nuclear attack, and it's good to see them beginning so quickly. France doesn't wait around!

it's not inappropriate. war begets war. i disagree with your non-nuclear option, personnally, but the french are out for blood. i've had five reports of attacks on maghribi/arabic french people as retaliation, one of those confirmed to be by a far right group. as an aside, i'm glad things are calm in paris, i heard reports of some idiot kid setting off fireworks next to a vigil and a stampede happened.

i've heard that the parachute artillery stationed an hour's drive away has been mobilized, and one of my friends has gone into active reserve.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2015, 08:39:23 pm »
Wow, that's a special kind of bloodlust you have there given that you're willing to involve nukes in this shit.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2015, 12:34:12 am »
The French are an angry lot, right now.  I am...not exactly surprised.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.