Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 569204 times)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #585 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:07 pm »
Ahem... Lesson Zero, anypony?

I dunno if that really qualifies her as an asshole. She was a neurotic, emotional mess at the time. Silly filly that she can be at times, she honestly believed her entire life would be ruined if she didn't write that letter. And it's not like her first resort was trying to create a problem--she looked long and hard for somepony having a genuine problem to try and fix, and got desperate and panicky.

And even then, an example pool of one doesn't really make a pattern or trend. She's never done anything of the sort before or since.

Offline Da Rat Bastid

• Pope
  • Takes what he can, while he can.
« Reply #586 on: February 28, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
As a fellow pony writer put it to me on the phone:  "These are happy, fluffy, smiling ponies! Why would you put them through such utter hell?!"

Because it's FUN! :D [/sadist]

What she said. :D

*sends out a Priority One dispatch: deploy the Ultraponies immediately!*

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #587 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »
Ahem... Lesson Zero, anypony?

I dunno if that really qualifies her as an asshole. She was a neurotic, emotional mess at the time. Silly filly that she can be at times, she honestly believed her entire life would be ruined if she didn't write that letter. And it's not like her first resort was trying to create a problem--she looked long and hard for somepony having a genuine problem to try and fix, and got desperate and panicky.

And even then, an example pool of one doesn't really make a pattern or trend. She's never done anything of the sort before or since.

What she said.

Yeah, I don’t consider the results a nervous breakdown to be faithful representation of one’s personality.
-A Pen Name

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #588 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:35 am »
Rat and L:  That's it, I'm getting Luna...

Yae and Nom:   she did kinda freak as a filly with the whole "magic overload from Dash's Sonic Rainboom" trying to hatch Spike's egg... and the Parasprites eating Ponyville... Three data points in (at least, roughly) 16 years.  That's just what we've seen in the show, too... what have we missed 'off screen'?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #589 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:11 am »
But how does freaking out equal being an asshole? That's what was being said. Or at least what's being heard, since your reference to Lesson Zero was a response to a post saying Twilight isn't an asshole.

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #590 on: February 29, 2012, 10:14:40 am »
re: Grimdark
Thinking about this, I guess I shouldn't complain. It would be hypocritical of me since my own plot bunny would be a Mass Effect crossover (Celestia and Reapers on the same playing board oh yes)
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #591 on: February 29, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »
re: Grimdark
Thinking about this, I guess I shouldn't complain. It would be hypocritical of me since my own plot bunny would be a Mass Effect crossover (Celestia and Reapers on the same playing board oh yes)
Reapers could NOT handle the friendships.

Re- The parasprite issue wasn't her flying off the handle. It was her systematically trying to figure out an answer to a problem, and learning the trope about listening to the "crazy ones".

Being magically overloaded is not "overreacting". That's was her being overwhelmed by an incredible force of magic.

We're talking "asshole." When was Twilight an asshole? When she broke Spike's present for the birthday party, way back in season one, episode one... and didn't apologize.

"We don't have time for parties!" Twilight snarled as she galloped across the library, knocking over piles of books. Unbeknownst to Twilight, but now knownst to you, gentle reader, is that Spike shed a sad, sad tear that fateful day.

That's being an asshole. Not apologizing. Belittling one's friends. And, frankly, that's the only example I can think of.

By "Sweet and Elite" Twilight has become the embodiment of the perfect friend, and is currently dueling with AJ for my number two pony spot. The bookworms have a way of rising to the top with me.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #592 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »
But how does freaking out equal being an asshole? That's what was being said. Or at least what's being heard, since your reference to Lesson Zero was a response to a post saying Twilight isn't an asshole.

She was getting pretty pushy in Lesson Zero for something to write the Princess about to the point she used what amounted to a mind-control spell on the vast majority of Ponyville.  I'd call that being an asshole.  Swarm of the Century? She was so convinced another spell would work that she didn't consider any other possible options and we saw how THAT backfired, instead of her listening to Pinkie...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #593 on: February 29, 2012, 01:04:13 pm »
Yeah, most of Twilight's "asshole"moments involve Spike. I feel kind of sorry for Spike sometimes, poor little guy. That being said I would say Twilight is the my 3rd favorite pony out of the mane six, and she's the one pony that I relate to the most, because I can be somewhat of an asocial bookworm a good deal of the time. Also every "Which pony are you?" quiz I take, always ends up being Twilight Sparkle.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #594 on: February 29, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »
I'm really looking forward to the Spike-centric episode 'Dragon Quest' coming up.

And yes.  That's the actual title of the episode.  Those of us on EqD staff and among the user base old enough to remember the games from back in the NES days thoroughly geeked out.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #595 on: February 29, 2012, 01:11:39 pm »

She was getting pretty pushy in Lesson Zero for something to write the Princess about to the point she used what amounted to a mind-control spell on the vast majority of Ponyville.  I'd call that being an asshole.  Swarm of the Century? She was so convinced another spell would work that she didn't consider any other possible options and we saw how THAT backfired, instead of her listening to Pinkie...

In Lesson Zero, she was having a nervous breakdown. She wasn't really in control of her actions.

And as for Swarm of the Century, nopony took Pinkie seriously. Because she's Pinkie. Pinkie randomly going around asking for instruments doesn't exactly sound like the proper response to the town being destroyed. It sounds like the kind of thing Pinkie would do on any given day of the year. Yes, she should have taken the time to listen--but they were trying to thwart disaster, and Pinkie looked like she was just trying to throw another party.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #596 on: February 29, 2012, 01:14:46 pm »

In Lesson Zero, she was having a nervous breakdown. She wasn't really in control of her actions.

And as for Swarm of the Century, nopony took Pinkie seriously. Because she's Pinkie. Pinkie randomly going around asking for instruments doesn't exactly sound like the proper response to the town being destroyed. It sounds like the kind of thing Pinkie would do on any given day of the year. Yes, she should have taken the time to listen--but they were trying to thwart disaster, and Pinkie looked like she was just trying to throw another party.

And nopony thought to ask why Pinkie was after these instruments...? admittedly, Pinkie did run off at a couple points in search of an instrument or two, but they still had chances.

I'll give you Lesson Zero, but the fact she even invoked mind control in a spell is pretty damn creepy. ... Even if it did give us the Macinpants ship.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #597 on: February 29, 2012, 01:18:43 pm »
Like I said... it's Pinkie Pie. She's a giant pink balloon full of random. Like I said, I do think they should have taken the time to listen, but considering the circumstances, I don't think it's unreasonable that they didn't. The town was being destroyed, but it just looked like Pinkie was trying to outfit a band for a "Ponyville's Gone" party.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #598 on: February 29, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »
Hm... I suppose, but it still bugs me a bit.

... that reminds me, I should watch a bit of pony tomorrow.

Formerly Priestling

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #599 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:59 pm »
I just have issue wit the idea of Twilight being labelled an asshole. She'd never intentionally do anything to harm or insult anypony, which I think is kind of important to that label. She can be insensitive at times, because she's not used to having friends--which is kind of the point. She's learning as she goes.