Author Topic: Illegal immigration hits net zero  (Read 2660 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Illegal immigration hits net zero
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:49:06 pm »
This is the new face of rural Mexico. Villages emptied out in the 1980s and '90s in one of the largest waves of migration in history. Today there are clear signs that a human tide is returning to towns both small and large across Mexico.

One million Mexicans said they returned from the US between 2005 and 2010, according to a new dem-ographic study of Mexican census data. That's three times the number who said they'd returned in the previous five-year period.

And they aren't just home for a visit: One prominent sociologist in the US has counted "net zero" migration for the first time since the 1960s.

Experts say the implications for both nations are enormous – from the draining of a labor pool in the US to the need for a radical shift in policies in Mexico, which has long depended on the billions of dollars in migrant remittances as a social welfare cornerstone.

"The massive return of migrants will have implications at the micro and macro economic levels and will have consequences for the social fabric ... especially for the structure of the Mexican family," says Rodolfo Casillas, a migration expert at the Latin American School of Social Sciences in Mexico City.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2012/0408/Home-again-in-Mexico-Illegal-immigration-hits-net-zero

Well I guess this is another platform the GOP has lost their footing on and doesn't seem to be a issue anymore at least as it stands now.  Let's hope they continue into irrelevancy!
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Illegal immigration hits net zero
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:54:39 pm »
That's if they cared about facts, but we all know they don't, and will still insist that every Mexican is illegal.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 02:11:50 pm »
That's if they cared about facts, but we all know they don't, and will still insist that every Mexican is illegal.

Even the ones still in Mexico.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

shykid

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »
Reminds me of a poll on the ridiculous Alabama "illegal immigration" law that I saw on the local news. 20% of the respondents said it "didn't go far enough." These people won't be pleased until you bring back lynchings.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:20:05 pm »
We offer pro football and they go back anyway?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:51:33 pm »
But... think of all the agriculture jobs the just cleared up for us!*

*I realize that's incredibly stereotypical. Feel free to substitute "agriculture" for "landscaping," "plumbing", or "Home Depot" where necessary.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 09:17:28 pm »
Is it stereotypical if it's the jobs that Americans keep pushing on them and exploit them for?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »

Indeed. Facts certainly aren’t getting in the way of their stance on voter fraud. (Though I do find it hilarious that they are so keen on proving there is voter fraud, they wind up committing the lion’s share of what little fraud exists themselves.)
-A Pen Name

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:45 pm »
I've heard a few at work talk about going back, simply because they can't find work and they barely bring home any money  as is.
Guess the Republicans finally did something they wanted to. Break the financial back of the US, Mexicans stop immigrating and go home.
Congrats Reps, you only had to destroy everyone's life and future to do it.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:21:29 pm »

Well I guess this is another platform the GOP has lost their footing on and doesn't seem to be a issue anymore at least as it stands now.  Let's hope they continue into irrelevancy!
do you really think that will stop them from claiming that Obama is letting illegal aliens come in and take over the country?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Deus ex Populo

• Bishop
    • My Tumblr, for what it's worth...
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 03:29:26 am »
The way I see it, instead of outright denial, the right twists this into what they'll call a victory on their end. In that case, they'll likely cite draconian state measures (like Alabama's, as mentioned before) as the reason and push for similar legislation on a national level (or at least in more states).
"Scientific truth is beyond loyalty and disloyalty." - Hari Seldon, Foundation

"[A] blunderbuss or cannon is hardly likely to be used for a drive-by shooting."
- From Wikipedia

Distind

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:23 am »
Is it stereotypical if it's the jobs that Americans keep pushing on them and exploit them for?
Donno, at least the ones that make it up to NY seem to wind up in resturants fairly regularly. We've got one 'authentic mexican resturant' that's been raided on three seperate occasions and forced to close each time. They were pretty good too.