Author Topic: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant  (Read 9697 times)

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
Judge rules in favor of lung transplant
« on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
And despite the way it sounds, it's not good. The ruling undermines the organ transplant waiting list system (it's based on things like survivability, and sadly a small child is even less likely to survive a lung transplant than other patients).

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130605/US-Lung-Transplant-Pennsylvania/
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

wrightway

Re: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 01:47:33 am »
I feel for this child and her parents, but there are plenty of reasons why a child should only be given pediatric lungs. This is going to cause a clusterfuck.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Judge rules in favor of s isnt'transplant
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:56:35 am »
I think this thread should be moved to Politics & Government due to it's importance to medical ethics and authority of doctors vs. a judge when deciding a medical decision. This isn't so much about science and medicine as it is about the politics surrounding it.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 06:55:44 am »
I read an article about this awhile ago and her doctors insisted that she'd be able to survive with an adult lung. But I don't know if I agree with the judge.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 07:07:18 am »
This sets a dangerous precedent. There are thousands of people waiting for new organs, including children. Every child is a heartwrenching story simply because it's a child going thru something so severe. I am unsure about this decision.

My heart says yes, my mind says no. And we can't make decisions like this on our hearts. The system is there for a very good reason.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 07:09:05 am by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:58:00 pm »
I dislike the hell out of how this story has been played up in the press. It could lead to some really bad, harmful, derpy political actions that end up killing more people, including kids, than the current disbursement scheme for donated organs. Too many right wing fire starters are bullying up on Secretary Sebellius, for one, claiming she can just use her magic pen to sign off for all the kids on the juvenile list to get access to adult organs, just like this judge did for that little girl. Sebellius is potentially a presidential race candidate for the democratic party, so yeah, GOP gobs are flinging poo at every opportunity, as early as possible.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:07:55 pm »
In general, I'd really hate it if children who are less likely to survive could receive organs before adults who are more likely to survive. You can't side with the child just because of your emotions, you have to look at the freaking numbers. I hate automatic prioritization of kids over adults.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »
The chances that a child will get adult lungs and die on the operating table or from complications afterwards are very high. In that case, those lungs, which could have been successfully transplanted into an adult, go to waste. This could mean two needless deaths, versus one tragedy. It would be far better for a campaign to be started by this news publicity for parents to donate the organs of their deceased kids. Plenty of kids die in accidents and of conditions that still leave some of their organs donate-able, but the extreme grief from losing that child seems to over-ride everything, and those organs mostly go to waste. A really well thought out and compassionate movement to encourage more child organ donations is desperately needed.
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

wrightway

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:24 pm »
The child has received a pair of adult lungs and survived the surgery. I feel like an ass, but it would have been better if she had passed. You can't tell me, with 40 other people in her area already on the list, she didn't get some sort of preferential treatment because of the media attention. Now every person who doesn't get an organ is going to be running to court.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 06:40:24 am »
Yep, the court already made an exception for another girl. This is a dangerous path, and medical experts agree. The way they have the system set up (children 12 and under on the waiting list for children's lungs) has vastly decreased the number of deaths, and I really hope this isn't going to change that. You can't afford to make decisions like this based on emotions.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:10 am »
I hope this spurs action from HHS, lawyers, legislators and higher level judges to ally with the medical community and come up with some legal mechanism that blocks terrible court orders like this immediately. This could otherwise double, triple, etc. the mortality rate of lung transplant patients and the number of people who die while on the waiting list.

wrightway

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »
Oh goody, I'm reading an op-ed from someone named Walter Williams who is arguing this case proves people should be able to buy organs.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 02:29:34 pm »
Oh yeah awesome, cuz then we can just harvest organs from prisoners and shit. Think of the jobs created! Just like the black market in asia...and it'll save us tax dollars, too  :D

<goes outside to pressure wash between ears>

Offline TheReasonator

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 06:05:42 pm »
Sometimes under the current system organs go to waste!

Why can't they instead of either putting the child on the list or not at all why can't there be a secondary list so if there are no adults who could use the lung within the applicable area/location then the child gets the lung?

Why are organ donation lists all or nothing? It would make all the sense in the world to have secondary lists maybe even tertiary lists. More lives could be saved.

wrightway

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:48 pm »
I think the problem, as this case has shown, is that children will always be put first because of emotions. 40 adults in her area needing those lungs, and a pair magically showed up within weeks that only could be matched to her?