Author Topic: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant  (Read 9696 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:24 pm »
Sometimes under the current system organs go to waste!

Why can't they instead of either putting the child on the list or not at all why can't there be a secondary list so if there are no adults who could use the lung within the applicable area/location then the child gets the lung?
Why are organ donation lists all or nothing? It would make all the sense in the world to have secondary lists maybe even tertiary lists. More lives could be saved.

That's roughly how the current/"new" allotment system works. But we can kiss it goodbye with this court order and all the "me too!' shit to follow.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »
You know, I do legitimately see nothing wrong with harvesting dead prisoners for organs, and I don't think opting out of donation should even be possible. "No, no, I'm not using them, but you're gonna die anyways because I won't donate!"
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 05:46:41 pm »
I love how the girl got a second set of lungs because her body rejected the first ones. Good job, assholes, now someone is dead because of you. This is what happens when you let judges make medical decisions.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

wrightway

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 05:49:14 pm »
Wait, wut? They gave her a second set? Exactly how are they justifying this blatant favoritism?

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:19 pm »
Wait, wut? They gave her a second set? Exactly how are they justifying this blatant favoritism?
She's a child. Any judge who rules against her will literally face a lynch mob. I don't like it, but I admit, I'd do the same.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

wrightway

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 06:03:04 pm »
She's a child. Any judge who rules against her will literally face a lynch mob. I don't like it, but I admit, I'd do the same.

The problem is that children are less viable candidates for organ transplants. This girl cost a life, as Sleepy pointed out, who could have used that first set. This outcome was predicted.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 06:26:50 pm »

The problem is that children are less viable candidates for organ transplants. This girl cost a life, as Sleepy pointed out, who could have used that first set. This outcome was predicted.
I know. I never said it was right. If the courts were robot-controlled like I wish they were, this wouldn't happen. But, humans have emotions, and in the end, they will factor in. I think it was wrong. I still would do the same.

wrightway

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 06:30:10 pm »

I know. I never said it was right. If the courts were robot-controlled like I wish they were, this wouldn't happen. But, humans have emotions, and in the end, they will factor in. I think it was wrong. I still would do the same.

Which is why the judge was an idiot. The old system removed the human element. Toss it back in and we may well hear that this child is on set three.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 06:42:13 pm »

Which is why the judge was an idiot. The old system removed the human element. Toss it back in and we may well hear that this child is on set three.
I agree, and wish the old system would stay, but if I were in the judge's position, I would do the same thing he did.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 08:00:20 pm »
Why would you do the same thing?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2013, 08:07:51 pm »
Why would you do the same thing?
Because I'd be unable to go "Sorry, but your kid has to die because of our system".

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:06 pm »
You can't afford to operate on emotions when you're in that position. Those lungs had a greater chance of saving an adult, and therefore you need to make a ruling based on that probability.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2013, 08:31:08 pm »
You can't afford to operate on emotions when you're in that position. Those lungs had a greater chance of saving an adult, and therefore you need to make a ruling based on that probability.
I never claimed to be a good judge. Just, honest about how I'd act.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

The judge does, yes, but the judge also needs to take into account the fact that, as noted above, ruling against the kid would immediately get him vilified beyond all redemption (as "that judge who killed that kid"). People usually don't have the patience for logical arguments when something as visceral as "a kid might die" is in play.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 03:18:09 am »
Basically, this is a lose/lose situation for the judge, a lose/lose situation for the system, and a win/lose situation for the girl.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet