Author Topic: U.S. government secretly collecting data on millions of Verizon users  (Read 13303 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
...yep.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/us-govt-secretly-collecting-data-millions-verizon-users-013542225.html

The National Security Agency (NSA) has been collecting telephone records of millions of Verizon customers – right down to local call data – under a top-secret court order issued in April, Britain’s The Guardian newspaper reported late Wednesday. UPDATE: The Administration responds, defending a "critical tool" against terrorism and underlining that the government is not listening in on anyone's calls.

Under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) order, the Guardian reported, Verizon Business Services must provide the NSA “on an ongoing daily basis” with information from calls between the U.S. and overseas – but also with calls entirely inside the United States. Calls made entirely overseas were not affected. It was unclear whether phones in other Verizon divisions -- its regular cell phone operations, for instance -- were similarly targeted.

Guardian writer Glenn Greenwald, a frequent and fierce critic of the national security state’s expansion since 9-11, writes in his bombshell report that:

The document shows for the first time that under the Obama administration the communication records of millions of US citizens are being collected indiscriminately and in bulk – regardless of whether they are suspected of any wrongdoing.

The order, issued April 25 and valid through July 19, requires Verizon to turn over the numbers of both parties, location data, call duration, and other information – though not the contents of the calls.

The White House initially declined comment, but a senior administration official defended the activities described in the Guardian piece without confirming the specific report.

"On its face, the order reprinted in the article does not allow the Government to listen in on anyone's telephone calls," the official, who requested anonymity, said by email. "The information acquired does not include the content of any communications or the name of any subscriber."

You know, I'm getting really sick of seeing the government butt-raping the 4th Amendment and then try to sell me on this "you're in danger" shit. It's always the same; "Just give up a few more of your rights so we can keep you safe." I don't buy it and never have. If living free is living dangerously then I will live dangerously. A touch dramatic, maybe, but you get my point.

Of course, I've always held fast to what Benjamin Franklin said: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
The order, issued April 25 and valid through July 19, requires Verizon to turn over the numbers of both parties, location data, call duration, and other information – though not the contents of the calls

So they know who's been calling who, but not what they said?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:17:45 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
The order, issued April 25 and valid through July 19, requires Verizon to turn over the numbers of both parties, location data, call duration, and other information – though not the contents of the calls

So they know who's been calling who, but now what they said?
You say that as though it doesn't make any sense at all.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
This shit happens regularly since the Patriot Act was passed. These secretly court ordered mass surveillances of call data usually do not get leaked to the press, is all. This is the second or third time since the Act passed that an order or info about surveillances has leaked out, but people forget the news items from 5, 10+ years ago.

The title, "Patriot Act", screams double-think, but the nation was still so shocked and scared about 9/11/01 that these fuckers in DC took advantage of that. It was the single worst legislation package passed into law, ever, if you care about the Bill of Rights. If you recall, the Act did start a wildfire of opposition from the grassroots left and far right back then.

NSA and other intelligence agencies will do w/e the fuck they want to, even if the Patriot Act is repealed.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Oh the god ol' NSA.  For when you want a government spy agency that has less scruples and morals then the fucking CIA.

Ironbite-but hey....at least we haven't had a 9/11 ever again right guys?  Right?

Distind

Isn't this pretty much the NSA's job description these days?

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
This doesn't surprise me. Since 9/11, the government has all but repealed the Fourth Amendment in the name of "National Security."

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER

So they know who's been calling who, but now what they said?
You say that as though it doesn't make any sense at all.

Well, I thought if the CIA was gonna do this large-scale privacy violating thing, they would've gone balls deep with it and listened in to the calls. though I am glad they didn't.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
What's worse, that they're pulling this B.S. or that it gives the Tea Party more ammo?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline mythbuster43

• Pope
    • Northwest View
What's worse, that they're pulling this B.S. or that it gives the Tea Party more ammo?

Both.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: U.S. government secretly collecting data on millions of Verizon users
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:43 pm »
God dammit, this makes my blood boil. If this is what we do in an attempt to counter terrorism, then they've already fucking won.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:17:48 pm »
It probably doesn't even catch all that many terrorists. If someone is really worried about not attracting the attention of authorities, they use disposable prepaid phones.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 06:21:14 pm »
I'm sure it doesn't help for shit. They're not stupid, they know how to get around those things.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:07 am »
God dammit, this makes my blood boil. If this is what we do in an attempt to counter terrorism, then they've already fucking won.
They won as soon as the Patriot Act was signed.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »
It probably doesn't even catch all that many terrorists. If someone is really worried about not attracting the attention of authorities, they use disposable prepaid phones.

Yep. In fact, the failed Times Square bomber in 2010 was found to be calling to the Middle East before the bombing not because of the government spying on his pre-paid phone 24/7, but because during the investigation they found who had sold him the bomb car and got the number he had used from her. That let them check the records for that number and find that he had been calling a Pakistani phone number that they already knew was linked to him (as he was already a terror suspect in the first place).

In short, they accomplished nothing through the Patriot Act and everything through standard police investigation procedures. Actually, is there any record on how many people have actually been accurately pegged as terror suspects and caught before a planned attack through the Patriot Act?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.