Author Topic: Muskegon Co. Clerk now issuing gay marriage licenses Saturday  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
This is new to me and I am so happy!

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/03/21/gay-marriage-license-washtenaw/6721987/

Muskegon, Mich. (WZZM) Muskegon County Clerk Nancy Waters will issue a wedding license Saturday to a gay couple getting married at the Harbor Universalist Congregational Church. UU Minister Rev. Bill Freeman says Waters will give marriage licenses to anyone who shows up. Freeman says, "I'm ready to perform as many same-sex weddings as is humanly possible."

Meantime, the Washtenaw County Clerk's Office will issue 60 gay marriage licenses on Saturday, one day after a U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman today struck down Michigan's ban on same-sex marriage, Clerk Lawrence Kestenbaum confirmed today.

"As far as we're concerned, we're abiding by the federal court appellates," Kestenbaum said. "We're not typically open, but basically the Board of Commissioners strongly urged me to be open tomorrow."

Michigan is now the 18th state in the nation to allow gay marriage. Friedman did not stay his ruling, prompting Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette to file an emergency stay request to prevent gay couples from marrying right away.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Muskegon Co. Clerk now issuing gay marriage licenses Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »
I bet Fred Phelps is spinning in his freshly dug grave.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:39:54 pm »
But it's another fall of an unjust and paranoid decision.

Ironbite-we're up to 18 and the number will continue to climb.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:30:33 pm »
I remember how I felt when the same sex ban was passed. I felt crushed and now I am hoping that this stay will not last and that we will progress forward. It's only a matter of time before every state allows gay marriage.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:51:03 am »
I remember how I felt when the same sex ban was passed. I felt crushed and now I am hoping that this stay will not last and that we will progress forward. It's only a matter of time before every state allows gay marriage.

Honestly it's better if these rulings are stayed (when the decision is handed down). Otherwise the marriages that are performed in between the ruling and the stay are thrown into legal limbo. Look at Utah.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:10:58 am »

Honestly it's better if these rulings are stayed (when the decision is handed down). Otherwise the marriages that are performed in between the ruling and the stay are thrown into legal limbo. Look at Utah.

Except it opens another avenue for legal attack if a ban is re-instated.

Sucks for the people involved though.