Author Topic: GamerGate  (Read 140738 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: GamerGate
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2014, 02:00:39 am »
Why are those sections of the tweets underlined?
To emphasise a point.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2014, 02:11:25 am »
To emphasise a point.
Because the average Tweet is just an information overload.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2014, 02:15:32 am »
To emphasise a point.
Because the average Tweet is just an information overload.
TL:DR
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:30 am »
I'm pretty sure that's just trolling.
Both of those guys are prominent gaming journalists.

Here's a thought: Maybe they're bitter and frustrated by random people telling them they're corrupt and evil with no proof? Maybe they can say things just as motivated by emotion as anyone else?
Aren't we all, but somehow I doubt you'd consider that a valid excuse if it were a gamergater going off the rails.

In any case, this was no isolated outburst. They've been at this from the beginning.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Also, Faraci has doxxed people.

Why don't you present some pro-GamerGate stupid, then? You keep acting like I'm going to ignore it when all you've been doing is going "LOOK HOW MEAN THEY ARE!!!" and neither presenting real evidence of corruption and ignoring that both sides are ridiculous and GamerGate has nothing to fight for. Fuck, I should have just stayed quiet. I'm out, again. I'm not going to waste my time with this idiocy.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2014, 09:37:37 am »

Here's a thought: Maybe they're bitter and frustrated by random people telling them they're corrupt and evil with no proof? Maybe they can say things just as motivated by emotion as anyone else?
Aren't we all, but somehow I doubt you'd consider that a valid excuse if it were a gamergater going off the rails.

In any case, this was no isolated outburst. They've been at this from the beginning.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Why don't you present some pro-GamerGate stupid, then? You keep acting like I'm going to ignore it when all you've been doing is going "LOOK HOW MEAN THEY ARE!!!" and neither presenting real evidence of corruption and ignoring that both sides are ridiculous and GamerGate has nothing to fight for. Fuck, I should have just stayed quiet. I'm out, again. I'm not going to waste my time with this idiocy.

But back to Intel.  Some radflakes are calling them misogynistic and pro-censorship.  Doublethink much?  And it seems like they didn't get the memo that Intel's president is a woman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_James

In other news, now things are going all the way up to the court system:

http://theralphretort.com/reddit-bombshell-zoe-quinn-uses-courts-silence-critic/
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:54:13 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2014, 02:51:30 pm »
In the process of writing this post, I had to browse through some pro-GG articles and stuff.

It... didn't really get any better, did it? It's still mostly gamers with a persecution complex the size of GabeN, trying to quash any kind of intellectualism and social significance in video game criticism through boycotts and intimidation. The more I hear of them, the more they remind me of the Religious Right and their fight for organized (Christian) prayers in public institutions, the (Christian) Ten Commandments in courts, "traditional" (Christian) marriage, and so on. It's pretty much Culture Warriors versus Social Justice Warriors at this point.

An article on Slate called Gamersgate "the Benghazi of the video games world". I guess I can agree on that, even though the rest of the article is the usual one-sided garbage we have come to expect from the press. No mention of Quinn's fake dox. Nothing about the TFYC fiasco. Completely ignores the fact that Gamersgate has greatly outgrown the original group of dudebros who started the crusade against her, for better or (mostly) for worse. And that portrayal of Leigh Alexander as an innocent martyr is just delicious.

In other news, now things are going all the way up to the court system:

http://theralphretort.com/reddit-bombshell-zoe-quinn-uses-courts-silence-critic/

This story can only be found in MRA- or Gamergate-related sites (is there even a difference between the two at this point?) While it would not be exactly surprising if it was true or at least partly so, I'm reserving my judgement for now.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2014, 04:08:23 pm »
Yeah only thing I can find on that is from Reddit and other sites that are just pounding the crap out of Zoe's reputation.

Ironbite-not that there's much left after this but still...you can tell what her ex is accomplishing.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2014, 04:14:27 pm »

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

I offered a rebuttal to the notion that these were outbursts of pent up emotions rather than part of a consistent pattern of such behavior. You weren't asking for proof of corruption, you were trying to minimize what those guys were saying.

Onto the day's news:

CNN wrote an article about Intel pulling their ads from Gamasutra:
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/03/tech/gaming-gadgets/intel-ad-gamasutra/index.html

Bribery on twitter:
(click to show/hide)

Doxxing gone wrong:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2014, 05:18:58 pm »
Radflake mansplaining female GamerGate supporters.  Ironic, isn't it?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2014, 05:34:55 pm »
I would like to point something out.

Gamergate didn't start from the well-documented evidence of game companies buying good reviews from review websites.

Gamergate started when a female game developer's ex-boyfriend spread rumors that she was trading sex for good reviews of her game.

Whether or not those rumors are true, the fact remains - Gamergate started in sexism, and whether the pro Gamergate people here like it, it is thus connected to sexism.

Unless you want to rewrite recent history.

Honestly, this entire conflict is buttheads fighting with buttheads, and a shit lot of propaganda and one-sided presenting in this thread alone.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »
Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm not sure why people are still obsessed with the movement, considering it's been little more than angry commenters flinging poo at each other for quite awhile now. There are assholes on each side and little is going to be accomplished at this point, other than people hating each other more. Obviously there are issues with sexism in gaming that need to be addressed, but it sure as fuck isn't going to happen with assholes being assholes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:48:39 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »
Likes for both of you.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2014, 06:41:30 pm »
So are we agreed? It's over now?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »
I would like to point something out.

Gamergate didn't start from the well-documented evidence of game companies buying good reviews from review websites.

Gamergate started when a female game developer's ex-boyfriend spread rumors that she was trading sex for good reviews of her game.

Whether or not those rumors are true, the fact remains - Gamergate started in sexism, and whether the pro Gamergate people here like it, it is thus connected to sexism.
Debatable. If I'm reading you correctly, you're saying that even if journalistic impropriety did occur, the outrage over it was fueled by sexism. It's certainly possible that some were particularly angry about it as a result of subconscious sexist biases, but what you need to take into account is that what really ignited the firestorm wasn't the incident itself but the subsequent mass censorship, insults from gaming journalists, and the eleven simultaneous "gamers are dead" articles.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2014, 07:21:35 pm »

Emphasis.

I really don't give a shit about the "Quinspiracy" but the sheer idiocy of both sides is hilariously inept. We do need a conversation about women and gaming, but it's not here in this petulant bitch fight.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:26:18 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.