Author Topic: Video game feminism woman.  (Read 6140 times)

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Video game feminism woman.
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:31:53 pm »
Let's continue the discussion here,

No brining up death/rape threats, that'll only lead to pissing contests.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Video game feminism woman.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:34:42 pm »
I'm all for female representation in gaming, but what certain individuals claim to be "misogyny" is just dumb.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:17:24 am »
I'm all for female representation in gaming, but what certain individuals claim to be "misogyny" is just dumb.
Yup.

If a little vague, what claims about stuff being misogyny are we talking about?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 04:01:14 am »
I dont know, there is a significant noticeable bias towards male representation. Meaty straight white male's are just assumed as the default in gaming. Lacking an option for me to play as a female character in some games particularly RPG's where the character is lacking in any distinct story driven personality discourages me significantly from playing those games.

Games like fable 1 for example discourage me from playing by preventing me form having a choice. While I greatly enjoyed fable 3 because it did. Things are getting better, in general. Some of the smaller AAA developers are starting to get the picture. Especially as females make up a massive segment of the gamer market these days. Other AAA developers, normally the ones with a reputation for treating their customers like mushy excrement haven't changed at all.

As for the gaming community, there is a definite air of misogyny. Women are completely over-sexualised and even treated as sexual objects. In many online games, female gamers act create male persona's just to be treated like equals. There are many stories of how during an online match a male gamer will hurl the standard abuses towards another gamer, but upon learning they are female will ask for pictures of their boobs. Similarly there is the whole gamer girl vs real gamer girl kerfuffle which was entirely pointless but caused the gamer community to wail like they do for anything else. In the gaming community women are not seen as equals. They are not given the same level of respect as any other male in a similar situation.

Now I don't expect to improve the gaming community in any way. Given how they get their panties in an absolute twist whenever the most irrelevant of things happens has shown they are pretty much a lost cause. However, publishers promoting the bias towards men is just bad business. Inclusiveness promotes sales. They wont loose those guys who complain about the option for a character to be female or gay or whatever, because I guarantee those guys will have per-ordered the game already just so they can complain about it.

Just my somewhat more than 2 cents.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:40 am »

An example would be good, perhaps.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:48:30 am »
I dont know, there is a significant noticeable bias towards male representation. Meaty straight white male's are just assumed as the default in gaming. Lacking an option for me to play as a female character in some games particularly RPG's where the character is lacking in any distinct story driven personality discourages me significantly from playing those games.

Games like fable 1 for example discourage me from playing by preventing me form having a choice. While I greatly enjoyed fable 3 because it did. Things are getting better, in general. Some of the smaller AAA developers are starting to get the picture. Especially as females make up a massive segment of the gamer market these days. Other AAA developers, normally the ones with a reputation for treating their customers like mushy excrement haven't changed at all.

A good example of things going in the right direction was this. Any rapey comments and you're gone, simple.

I like.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 05:29:10 pm »
I'm all for female representation in gaming, but

The clause before the "but" doesn't count.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »
I'm not a ______ but...

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:27:48 pm »
Yup.

If a little vague, what claims about stuff being misogyny are we talking about?
Dunno, but technically the statement is true.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 06:30:00 pm »
Technically, the statement "a person likes bacon" is true, sans context it's a bit of a headscratcher.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 07:11:44 pm »
Let's compile a few of my complaints on her evaluations in this post, so you can either rip them to shit or agree with me.

• In her evaluation of Dolllhouse, she dislikes the protagonists because of violence against women. Compare with Women as Background Decoration, where she hates the use of violence against a woman to paint somebody as evil. The latter is common, with her neither caring whether good or bad is being sexist.
  • Bones, as apparently crazy male serial killers as part of popular entertainment is a bad thing. CSI and Dexter both get this odd complaint.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 07:38:19 pm »
So tell me again, this is part of an endless discussion about games?  Like Parcheesi and Chinese Checkers, only electronic in this instance?  I think that in the grand scheme of the universe they have the same value.  Originally they were intended to be fun ... a diversion.  Now they're serious, huh?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 08:27:52 pm »
So tell me again, this is part of an endless discussion about games?  Like Parcheesi and Chinese Checkers, only electronic in this instance?  I think that in the grand scheme of the universe they have the same value.  Originally they were intended to be fun ... a diversion.  Now they're serious, huh?

Ah-I see you've been away for a while!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 08:32:01 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:05 pm »
Let's compile a few of my complaints on her evaluations in this post, so you can either rip them to shit or agree with me.

• In her evaluation of Dolllhouse, she dislikes the protagonists because of violence against women. Compare with Women as Background Decoration, where she hates the use of violence against a woman to paint somebody as evil. The latter is common, with her neither caring whether good or bad is being sexist.
  • Bones, as apparently crazy male serial killers as part of popular entertainment is a bad thing. CSI and Dexter both get this odd complaint.

Got links or titles? Sarkeesian makes a lot of videos-be a help of you could point to the ones we're talking about.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:47 pm »
I don't think any mistakes Anita Sarkeesian makes, while regrettable, really diminish the presence of misogyny in video games and the video game community. Believe it or not, Sarkeesian isn't the Feminist Gamer Girl Messiah we all slavishly worship. There are lots of people pointing out sexism in video games, not just Sarkeesian.

I agree, this kind of thing needs to be discussed.