Author Topic: President Joe Biden's massive clean up effort  (Read 11412 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
President Joe Biden's massive clean up effort
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:22:48 pm »
Making a massive thread in order to chronical all that the 46th President of the United States will be doing to clean up the mess from 45.  So enjoy!

Ironbite-I know I will.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: President Joe Biden's massive clean up effort
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 04:32:14 pm »
I'm just waiting to see how long it takes before someone says "apology tour".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 06:29:28 pm »
Shaun, some Breadtuber guy, is immediately going ahead and trashing being in favor of Biden.

As far as the far right, well, we have QAnon melting down in one corner, and the screaming fits of Madison Cawthorn in another.

"MUH MOUNTAIN VALUES!" -says man unaware that to most of the country "mountain values" equate to incest, cannibalism, and drinking raw nuclear waste.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 08:30:30 pm »
Here's a fact I found interesting that's reflective of the country Joe Biden now leads: only six states have Senators from (or caucusing with) different parties, which is the lowest such number since at least the 1980s. (Those states are Maine, Montana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.)

It might have been lower at some point prior to the 1980s, but that would have been in the days of either broad coalitions (such as the FDR's New Deal coalition) or extreme polarization (such as around the Civil War).

EDIT: Further, in the forty-four states without split delegations, that state gave its electoral votes (or, in the case of Nebraska, its two statewide electoral votes) to the Presidential candidate of the same party as its Senators.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:33:52 pm by dpareja »
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 01:53:14 am »
Shaun, some Breadtuber guy, is immediately going ahead and trashing being in favor of Biden.

Oh, so he's just continuing the shtick he's had going since Biden was declared the presumptive nominee. Shaun's also been collecting thousands of dollars a month on Patreon while only putting out a single video every few months, if not longer. The time between his two most recent videos was over eight months. They're all pretty well made, but I've been questioning how much of the work he does producing them after Jen, who he used the share the channel with, claimed to do most, if not all, of the work on researching his video on the Unite the Right rally. She kinda soured my view on him, especially since by that point I'd unfollowed him on Twitter because all he ever seems to do on Twitter nowadays is bitch about Biden and the Democrats. He's British, for the record.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 02:02:27 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 02:18:08 am »
No one should be surprised that Biden had already set up a long list of things to do on day 1. The trashfire caused by the previous president was obvious and a veteran politician like Biden actually does his homework and prepares for his job.

It is funny to see how right wingers are panicking about it though.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 02:42:36 pm »

Oh, so he's just continuing the shtick he's had going since Biden was declared the presumptive nominee. Shaun's also been collecting thousands of dollars a month on Patreon while only putting out a single video every few months, if not longer. The time between his two most recent videos was over eight months. They're all pretty well made, but I've been questioning how much of the work he does producing them after Jen, who he used the share the channel with, claimed to do most, if not all, of the work on researching his video on the Unite the Right rally. She kinda soured my view on him, especially since by that point I'd unfollowed him on Twitter because all he ever seems to do on Twitter nowadays is bitch about Biden and the Democrats. He's British, for the record.

Yeah, that tracks really well with what I've seen. "What? We don't have problems with women! Just these specific women!" He really gives off a lot of tankie vibes.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 04:29:54 pm »
Nah, I wouldn't say Shaun's a tankie, but I would say he's a bit of a hypocrite considering that he takes credit for work that he didn't do by omitting the people who actually did the work. He'll criticize capitalism all day, but will still reap the benefits of capitalism when it suits him.
Who needs a signature?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 04:19:22 pm »
https://www.politico.com/newsletters/playbook/2021/01/21/democrats-caught-flat-footed-by-total-control-of-washington-491476

Oh my goodness that headline.

Yep, they were caught so flat-footed that I bet they'll have multiple bills passed by the time the Republicans under Trump (who also had complete control of Washington) managed to come up with ONE...

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:04:09 pm »
Only if they kill the legislative filibuster. Manchin ruled it out, but if there's one thing that might get him to vote for it, it's what McConnell's doing right now with the organizing resolution.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2021, 01:05:16 am »
The biggest danger in said "clean up effort" is that it may not deal with those most directly responsible for the worst of the mess. Already it's looking like the Trump impeachment is DOA and initial efforts to combat, in Biden's words, white supremacy look like being downgraded to a more politically palatable focus on "domestic violent extremism", mollifying the Vantos among us who want to conflate left wing grouplets like Antifa with the people who actually broke into the US Capitol and killed people.

I know that plenty of that is down to Republicans being obstructionist but the reality is that the whole planet saw US representative democracy cracking under the strain, from the cheap seats it looked like it could have gone either way. For years we've seen emboldened fascists taking lives because - despite the far right demonstrating it's lethality and opposition to democracy, governments aren't prepared to confront the threat. Whatever is done to fix the economy and tackle coronavirus will make things better but the powers that be in America have allowed their right fringe to get bold enough to try and overturn elections and their footsoldiers ready to smash their way into the seat of US government baring Confederate battle flags and Nazi regalia killing people who get in their way.

If y'all don't defang your hard right they'll smell weakness and come back to bite you. The only thing they respect is strength, they certainly couldn't give a shit about niceties like law, order or democracy.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:09:37 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2021, 10:32:11 pm »
So the Democrats announced that they're planning to send $1400 checks to supplement the $600 we last got. And Twitter has decided that this means that the Democrats have moved the goalposts... by doing exactly what they said they would.

Why the fuck do I even read Twitter anymore?
Who needs a signature?

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:39:24 pm »
I didn't know you had a masochistic side, Cloud.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2021, 12:12:16 am »
I mean, there are certain accounts I never read responses to for the sake of my own sanity. Really, Twitter is useful to me to just express what's actively on my mind at the moment.

I do want to clarify though that I don't even disagree with the people projecting their goalpost move onto the Democrats. They can and should do more, but they're still doing what they promised here.
Who needs a signature?