Author Topic: Fun times in Syria  (Read 30855 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Re: Fun times in Syria
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:30 pm »
Nonsense. No Russian leader, least of all Putin, is going to commit suicide over an irrelevant naval base.

I take it you feel that Obama is somewhat less sane and is willing to commit suicide over a bunch of foreign nationals being killed in a civil war half a world away. If Russia and America start swinging at each other there is no guarantee who would be left standing.

There is no obligation on Russia to use force in defence of Syrians. There is indeed an obligation on Obama to use force if the Russians use force in defence of the Syrians. If the Russians launch an attack on the US fleet, the US will retaliate, 100%. The Russians know this. They also know how much force Obama can drop on their heads. Therefore, the Russians will not launch an attack.

Now, I think this is still stupid. Any strike on Syria will kill loads of Syrians. It will not save them, it will kill them. US credibility is not on the line: the US has, in the last decade, shown it will use force whenever it goddamn pleases, there is no need for a future demonstration. Furthermore, there is no international norm against chemical weapons use. The US government used banned chemical weapons in Fallujah without bombing Washington or arresting anyone (also, Saddam, too).
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2013, 08:44:38 pm »
Fun update time! The USS Nimitz Carrier Group has been rerouted from Seattle to the Red Sea. That fleet includes the USS Nimitz (duh), four destroyers, and a cruiser. This is addition to the amphibious transport ship USS San Antonio, which was rerouted to the US naval base at Crete with "no specific orders". Oh yes, we are so not going to flatten another country... >.>

So I guess we've exchanged white man's burden for first world man's burden.

Have any of you asked yourselves why the U.S. tipped its hand so blatantly and so early? I mean now Assad is just going to scatter and hide all his high value military targets in deep dark little holes in out of the way places instead of on the front lines where they are easy to hit...

...oh, wait.  ::)

Nonsense. No Russian leader, least of all Putin, is going to commit suicide over an irrelevant naval base.

I take it you feel that Obama is somewhat less sane and is willing to commit suicide over a bunch of foreign nationals being killed in a civil war half a world away. If Russia and America start swinging at each other there is no guarantee who would be left standing.
I'm inclined to agree with this. I've got a couple friends saying that Russia is a shadow of it's Cold War height. True or not, I doubt their military is a pushover, or that any ensuing conflict would be brief.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2013, 08:55:09 pm »
Russia is not going to pick a fight with the US, Fred is right in that Putin isn't that fucking dumb. As was said earlier in the thread, all Russia is doing is a token show of support for their ally. It's why they've only sent two cruisers against an aircraft carrier and its support vessels. Once the US starts flinging bombs in Syria's general direction, they Russian ships will be leaving post-haste.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »
Russia is not going to pick a fight with the US, Fred is right in that Putin isn't that fucking dumb. As was said earlier in the thread, all Russia is doing is a token show of support for their ally. It's why they've only sent two cruisers against an aircraft carrier and its support vessels. Once the US starts flinging bombs in Syria's general direction, they Russian ships will be leaving post-haste.

That's it. It's a bluff, and not a good one. In some ways, Putin doesn't deserve the rep he's got (in other ways, he very much does).

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2013, 09:00:41 pm »
To his own countrymen, Putin's the devil incarnate.  To the rest of the world, he's a big bitch.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2013, 09:42:26 pm »

There is no obligation on Russia to use force in defence of Syrians. There is indeed an obligation on Obama to use force if the Russians use force in defence of the Syrians. If the Russians launch an attack on the US fleet, the US will retaliate, 100%. The Russians know this. They also know how much force Obama can drop on their heads. Therefore, the Russians will not launch an attack.

There is no obligation on America to use force in defence of the group of Syrians they want to win either. If Russia says that it will defend the territorial sovereignty of Syria from foreign attack and puts assets in place to do so, suddenly the U.S. is the aggressor and it would be quite reasonable for Russia to shoot at any incoming planes or missiles because "all" it is doing is trying to make sure an internal conflict remains an internal conflict.

It really depends on how you want to spin it.

Now, I think this is still stupid. Any strike on Syria will kill loads of Syrians. It will not save them, it will kill them. US credibility is not on the line: the US has, in the last decade, shown it will use force whenever it goddamn pleases, there is no need for a future demonstration. Furthermore, there is no international norm against chemical weapons use. The US government used banned chemical weapons in Fallujah without bombing Washington or arresting anyone (also, Saddam, too).

Yup I agree, it is stupid. Even if this doesn't somehow go sideways on them right now, this is not something that will help America in the future because blow-back is inevitable.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2013, 09:52:04 pm »
That would be a different story. If Russia put some Russian AAA in Syria, or maybe a few Russian-manned jets and told everyone "hey we totally have Russians in Syria, here here and here!" then the US couldn't do anything. They have no done so, nor will they.

-FDR

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2013, 10:21:41 pm »
To his own countrymen, Putin's the devil incarnate.  To the rest of the world, he's a big bitch.

Unfortunately, half the problem is that to much of Russia, Putin is Jesus. Remember, they are still smarting from losing power after the Cold War ended, and Putin is promising to take that power back.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2013, 10:33:03 pm »

Unfortunately, half the problem is that to much of Russia, Putin is Jesus. Remember, they are still smarting from losing power after the Cold War ended, and Putin is promising to take that power back.
Their nation lost power recently, and they have a charismatic leader who knows exactly what went wrong, what to do and how to regain it. He allies himself with nations on the wrong side of human rights, persecutes minorities, and is the personal Jesus to a fair portion of his nation. They're swept up in nationalistic pride. Oh, and they're hosting the Olympics soon. And everyone wants to appease him. Why is it that so many liberals are so fucking blind to history? Sometimes, I'm embarrassed to be associated with it, because we want peace so badly we'll hide behind any Internet joke and piles of denial to avoid violence, which only causes more down the road. Sometimes, you need to punch the other guy in the balls BEFORE he's started attacking you, not after he's already begun firing.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2013, 06:21:30 am »
UK papers are now annoyed because the US is giving us the cold shoulder and siding up to France because we aren't being massively gung-ho about intervening in Syria. So much "but the special relationship" going around. And some good-old fashioned American and French bashers have come out of the woodwork.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2013, 06:33:28 am »
UK papers are now annoyed because the US is giving us the cold shoulder and siding up to France because we aren't being massively gung-ho about intervening in Syria. So much "but the special relationship" going around. And some good-old fashioned American and French bashers have come out of the woodwork.
I blame my girlfriend for the Hetalia-related mental images here.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/national_world&id=9234222
President Barack Obama won critical support from House Speaker John Boehner for a punitive strike against Syria on Tuesday and dispatched senior Cabinet officials to persuade Congress that Bashar Assad's government must be punished for a suspected chemical weapons attack the administration blames for more than 1,000 dead.

The leader of House Republicans, Boehner emerged from a meeting at the White House and said the United States has "enemies around the world that need to understand that we're not going to tolerate this type of behavior. We also have allies around the world and allies in the region who also need to know that America will be there and stand up when it's necessary."
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »
A definite about face from Bohner but not surprising.

Ironbite-he knows exactly what'll happen if they don't give Obama authorization.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #118 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »
A definite about face from Bohner but not surprising.

Ironbite-he knows exactly what'll happen if they don't give Obama authorization.

Good.

What'll happen exactly if they don't give Obama authorization?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #119 on: September 03, 2013, 05:48:25 pm »
The Tea Party base will eat the GOP alive.

They're still going to of course.  I mean, they're working with the Great Traitor that is Obama but this way the Democrats running against them can't pull the "They voted against giving Obama the opportunity to bomb more brown people" card.

Ironbite-all about the bombing brown people.