Author Topic: Pope Endorses Evolution and the Big Bang Theory  (Read 24570 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Pope Endorses Evolution and the Big Bang Theory
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:56:11 am »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/10/28/pope-francis-evolution-big-bang/18053509/

VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis has waded into the controversial debate over the origins of human life, saying the big bang theory did not contradict the role of a divine creator, but even required it.

The pope was addressing the plenary assembly of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, which gathered Monday at the Vatican to discuss "Evolving Concepts of Nature."

"When we read about Creation in Genesis, we run the risk of imagining God was a magician, with a magic wand able to do everything. But that is not so," Francis said.

"He created human beings and let them develop according to the internal laws that he gave to each one so they would reach their fulfillment."

Francis said the beginning of the world was not "a work of chaos" but created from a principle of love. He said sometimes competing beliefs in creation and evolution could co-exist.

Fun fact: this is very old news.  The Catholic Church has accepted evolution since 1950, and the Big Bang Theory was proposed by a Catholic Priest.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
Re: Pope Endorses Evolution and the Big Bang Theory
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:13:09 pm »
Now if only they would edit their damn scriptures to reflect that fact.

(Hint: They won't, because the RCC doesn't accept science that contradicts their dogma. See: original sin, a concept that makes no sense without the literal Genesis account)

EDIT: I won't even give the RCC credit for "accepting" evolution. Accepting evolution necessarily means rejecting the belief that humans were created, which the pope explicity endorses instead.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:15:15 pm by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »
Technically, he is talking about intellegent design.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:50 pm »
Intelligent design is not science.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 01:30:35 pm »

(Hint: They won't, because the RCC doesn't accept science that contradicts their dogma. See: original sin, a concept that makes no sense without the literal Genesis account)

EDIT: I won't even give the RCC credit for "accepting" evolution. Accepting evolution necessarily means rejecting the belief that humans were created, which the pope explicity endorses instead.

Uh, you can't edit the Scriptures.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

Good thing no one in this thread said that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:01:31 pm »

A number of fundies have been blasted for their assertion that "You can't believe in God and Evolution!" Please don't make the same statement yourself. There are plenty of Christians (like myself) that accept evolution; to say that they don't really believe in evolution because they also believe God was involved would be creating the same false dilemma that the fundies did.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »

A number of fundies have been blasted for their assertion that "You can't believe in God and Evolution!" Please don't make the same statement yourself. There are plenty of Christians (like myself) that accept evolution; to say that they don't really believe in evolution because they also believe God was involved would be creating the same false dilemma that the fundies did.

But that doesn't apply to him because he's a New Atheist, therefore he has to be held to a completely different standard from non-atheists even when he says the exact same things, because you're totally projecting your religion on him!!111!1
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 02:30:52 pm »

Sure you can. It's really easy with all the digital copies floating around. Liberal Christians would be far better off if they stopped calling themselves Christians and:
a) edited their scriptures, removing the vile instructions and replacing the false hypotheses about nature with modern scientific explanations and/or
b) put a disclaimer on the front of their book that says "This is a work of fiction."

Since most liberal Christians are unwilling to do either, I have no choice but to assume they revere their scriptures and would impose Biblical law on others the moment the wind is blowing their way.

Good thing no one in this thread said that.

The Catholic Church has accepted evolution since 1950, and the Big Bang Theory was proposed by a Catholic Priest.

It was all but explicitly stated by UP. The RCC does not accept evolution; they merely try to compartmentalize it away from their dogma.

UP, the Big Bang theory being suggested and validated did not hinge on its initial proponent being a Catholic priest. Claiming that as a win for the RCC is a fallacy of association.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 02:33:21 pm »
...How the fuck does saying "They accepted evolution since 1950" mean "Intelligent design is science"?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 02:38:22 pm »
Ya know, Chewtoy, its funny how you're quick to jump on a fallacy by association (which, in honesty, it WAS), yet you somehow COMPLETELY MISS the fact that you, yourself pulled a slippery slope from your fetid anus.

Irony is a bitch.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 02:47:37 pm »
Ya know, Chewtoy, its funny how you're quick to jump on a fallacy by association (which, in honesty, it WAS), yet you somehow COMPLETELY MISS the fact that you, yourself pulled a slippery slope from your fetid anus.

Irony is a bitch.

It's not a fallacy when the association in question is important. Liberal Christians perpetuate their religion by imposing their scriptures on children before they can clearly tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Similarly, it is not a fallacy of association to say that Catholics who pay their dues to the church are supporting the acts of an international criminal organization.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:51:53 pm »

Irony is a bitch.

It's not a fallacy when the association in question is important. Liberal Christians perpetuate their religion by imposing their scriptures on children before they can clearly tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Similarly, it is not a fallacy of association to say that Catholics who pay their dues to the church are supporting the acts of an international criminal organization.

In that case, UP's association was important, too.  Precisely as important as your association, too.

Logic works both ways, bucko.  It doesn't believe in double standards.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:11 pm »

Sure you can. It's really easy with all the digital copies floating around. Liberal Christians would be far better off if they stopped calling themselves Christians and:
a) edited their scriptures, removing the vile instructions and replacing the false hypotheses about nature with modern scientific explanations and/or
b) put a disclaimer on the front of their book that says "This is a work of fiction."

Since most liberal Christians are unwilling to do either, I have no choice but to assume they revere their scriptures and would impose Biblical law on others the moment the wind is blowing their way.

So if liberal Christians don't abandon their faith and become atheists, they're the same as fundies? Again, false dilemma.

And thank you for claiming I'm a secret Dominionist too; that's certainly not offensive or anything.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
But, certainly a man in a trilby can't be wrong or have laughable double standards!  That's inconceivable.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.