Author Topic: Fundies Defending Hell = Instant Rage  (Read 12473 times)

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
Fundies Defending Hell = Instant Rage
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:28:48 pm »
Of all the shit fundies say, their defenses of hell are what causes me the most blind rage.

It's funny, because I no longer believe in hell so logically, I shouldn't be so bothered.  But I used to believe in it and it terrified me.  There was a time when reading a post like this would have had me overrun by fear and guilt.  I would then think the fear and guilt I experienced would be some divine warning of what would happen if I didn't change my ways.... fun times.   ::)

Basically, now I such defenses as bullshit (the one I linked to is full of ad hominem).  They're not meant to appeal to any logic, just overriding emotions.  Yet, they still convince a lot of people, they convinced me at one time.  And since the whole idea that you're a bad person and deserve hell just screams emotional abuse, I can't help but go apeshit at such asshattery. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Fundies Defending Hell = Instant Rage
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »
What's funny about it is that Hell is probably the most pagan thing in Christianity, being a combination of Niflheim and Tartarus with the goddess Hel's name thrown on top of it (with an extra L added in)

In fact, there's absolutely nothing biblical about the concept at all, save for Jesus' parables about "gnashing and wailing of teeth"... which is tenuous at best.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 03:41:04 pm »
A lot of stuff people think about hell has absolutely no Biblical basis.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 03:46:19 pm »
Most of it comes from Dante, doesn't it?

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 03:47:21 pm »
Most of it comes from Dante, doesn't it?
Him and Milton.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:04:59 pm »
I used to think hell would be suffering simultaneously from St. Vitus dance and gout.  Then someone said, "Naw, it would be nausea and lockjaw."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »
I remember someone somewhere claiming there was actually a command hierarchy in hell with Lucifer at the top, his lieutenants, which were named but I don't remember what they were, and then there were several categories of demons that inhabited hell.

I'd hate to know what it felt like pulling that out of their ass. The Goatse dude even cringes at the thought.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 08:17:58 pm »
I was one of those kids that was continually told that I was going to hell.  Why? Because I felt SORRY for Lucifer and his side.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:17 pm »
Its a great tale for keeping people stupid: "Don't question authority, or you'll burn forever!"
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:01:41 pm »
What's funny about it is that Hell is probably the most pagan thing in Christianity, being a combination of Niflheim and Tartarus with the goddess Hel's name thrown on top of it (with an extra L added in)

In fact, there's absolutely nothing biblical about the concept at all, save for Jesus' parables about "gnashing and wailing of teeth"... which is tenuous at best.

Heck, prefer to call it Inferno rather than use a perfectly decent Pagan goddesses' name. I believe in an infernal hereafter for remorseless nasty people like Hitler or Ted Bundy but it's only for rotten people and the stay is temporary & purgatorial. In the end, all souls will be at peace.

It's these ChristoJerks who defend eternal damnation for finite sins (many that are ethically neutral & committed by good people like being gay or non-wed sex) that get my goat. Their view of Deity is a pompous windbag & psychopath. Screw that Demiurge!

Interestingly enough, there's actually a school of thought in Christendom called "Universal Reconciliation" & it was possibly the original school of thought in early Christianity. This teaches the gospel of either "No Inferno" or "Inferno is temporary".

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 10:51:32 pm »
Not sure where I heard this, but I heard the Judaic version of hell, regardless of the crime, was one year. That's it.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 11:17:28 pm »
Judaism doesn't really have a hell as far as I know.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »
It's closer to a purgatory, from what I understand.  Which means that Catholicism actually has a point about that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 11:42:39 pm »
Judaism doesn't really have a hell as far as I know.

As far as I can tell, the closest analogues are Sheol and Gehenna.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:50:07 am »
Yeah, if there's an afterlife, I'm all for having one for punishing bad people that managed to escape punishment in this life...however, I'd have all of them be temporary.  A Goldman-Sachs CEO will be clubbed over the head with a pineapple for a few years, and regular, decent dicks like us would have a few years of peace, relaxation, and fun.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.