Author Topic: Mothers Against Drunk Driving: EPIC FAIL  (Read 8882 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Mothers Against Drunk Driving: EPIC FAIL
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 03:05:34 am »
Unfortunately, the ones I've seen are the way queen described them. extraordinarily incompetent design, too, all you need is a sober friend to breath into it.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2013, 03:07:30 am »
Don't feed the troll.

I'm expressing a difference of opinion on this thread. How is that trolling?
Don't feed the troll.

You've admitted to purposeful trying to agitate the forum already, and you've also provided no cogent argument when people argued back. So yeah, trolling.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2013, 03:48:24 am »
Don't feed the troll.

Let me give you a word of advice.

When you say things like "the forums are easier to troll", people will, with good reason, look at every post you make with the suspicion that you might be trolling.

And I hate... er, no.  I'll enjoy telling you this, but if that's the kinda reaction you're going for, then you're not really succeeding as a troll.  All you're doing is being an annoyance.  Much like the way a 12 year old shouting into a microphone on X-Box Live is an annoyance.

Not to mention, since everyone has known that you're a troll for a long time now, you don't really get under our skin anymore.  At least not by the things you say.  More like the fact that you try at all.  And even then, it's not nearly as good as if you had actually presented yourself with any degree of actually believing the things you say.

So in short, you've failed as a troll, and you will continue failing.  For one thing, people here rarely get angry because "someone presents a contrary opinion."  People get angry because "Someone is being an asshole and instead of taking responsibility for it, they're trying to accuse everyone else of having a herd mentality."

I could be defensive and say something like "Everyone here comes to their conclusions on their own", but that's unnecessary.  We are who we are.  If you don't like that, I'm pretty sure there's plenty of other skepdick forums out there that will allow you to find the echo chamber you so clearly want.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 04:04:46 am »
Unfortunately, the ones I've seen are the way queen described them. extraordinarily incompetent design, too, all you need is a sober friend to breath into it.
...Well the ones I saw were finnish design, but I guess I just assumed that they can't be THAT backwards and silly no matter who makes them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

QueenofHearts

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:39 pm »
MADD has gone too far in a few ways, like proposing that we install breath alcohol ignition interlock devices in all cars. That's utter nonsense, as we shouldn't have to prove ourselves innocent in order to operate a vehicle each and every time.

Now that I would actually like to see

I'd normally be for such an interlock since drunk driving is kind of bad, but the devices require a person to blow at random intervals of about 10-20 minutes. That would annoy the shit out of me.

No they don't. At least not the ones that I have seen and worked on (I didn't install them but I've worked in a company that put them on taxis and school busses.) You breath on it once when you start the car. You have to breath again if you've turned off the car for more than 15 minutes. If it required you to blow on it every 20 minutes it would interfere with driving and cause a hazard on its own.

They're actually pretty good, they can even have a direct contact with the manufacturer and a black box that will show when it registered alcohol and taxi companies get notification when their employee shows up drunk to work. :)

May wanna check this video out. Especially at 2:32...

ETA: Or this one from Virginia at 7:30.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 01:15:37 pm by QueenofHearts »

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 03:32:33 pm »
How about a device that would ask random questions?  If you answer incorrectly the vehicle won't start.  "Name, in alphabetical order, all of the signers of the Declaration of Independence."
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:32 pm »
How about a device that would ask random questions?  If you answer incorrectly the vehicle won't start.  "Name, in alphabetical order, all of the signers of the Declaration of Independence."
That's not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it would ever get off the ground.
Lots of people wouldn't be able to answer sober, and it wouldn't stop a drunken trivia hound. Besides, I'm pretty sure people would just Google it or ask somebody with a smartphone to Google it for them.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 09:10:34 pm »
It was a joke.

With Old Viking, it usually is.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 01:37:55 am »
MADD has gone too far in a few ways, like proposing that we install breath alcohol ignition interlock devices in all cars. That's utter nonsense, as we shouldn't have to prove ourselves innocent in order to operate a vehicle each and every time.

Now that I would actually like to see

I'd normally be for such an interlock since drunk driving is kind of bad, but the devices require a person to blow at random intervals of about 10-20 minutes. That would annoy the shit out of me.

No they don't. At least not the ones that I have seen and worked on (I didn't install them but I've worked in a company that put them on taxis and school busses.) You breath on it once when you start the car. You have to breath again if you've turned off the car for more than 15 minutes. If it required you to blow on it every 20 minutes it would interfere with driving and cause a hazard on its own.

They're actually pretty good, they can even have a direct contact with the manufacturer and a black box that will show when it registered alcohol and taxi companies get notification when their employee shows up drunk to work. :)

May wanna check this video out. Especially at 2:32...

ETA: Or this one from Virginia at 7:30.
Seems dangerous, the driver had to fumble a bit to reach the breath analyzer.

I do admit that it solves the problem of having someone else start the car or starting to drink AFTER you've started the car.

There actually was a case like that, a minibus driver had started his workday sober and then during the day he made sure he is out of the car for less than 15mins at a time (so he didn't have to use the device again) and by the time he was taking kids back from school (in rural areas taxis and minibusses are used for school transports since a huge bus is unnecessary when there aren't that many kids) he was completely wasted.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:57 am »
It was a joke.

With Old Viking, it usually is.
I know, I just felt the need to use the phrase "drunken trivia hound" at least once in my life.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2013, 11:56:35 am »
I do admit that it solves the problem of having someone else start the car or starting to drink AFTER you've started the car.

Well, nothing really solves the problem other than reducing drunk drivers in society in the first place. The device is a good idea on the surface, but you now need to make the driver fumble around for a device while driving (potentially at speed while on a highway, and all while we're telling people to not be distracted drivers and some groups are even saying that fucking around with the radio while driving is too much), a device that may not be especially accurate and result in a false positive causing you to have to stop your car or risk being pulled over by an angry cop.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2013, 12:32:56 pm »
My idea was to subsidize bars that encourage DDers

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2013, 01:08:47 pm »
Some bars and restaurants already reward designated drivers. Since dram shop liability laws are still on the books in many states, a lot of bars and restaurants carry liquor or dram shop law liability insurance, since they can be successfully sued by the drunk driver after the DUI court case is over. The blame gets shifted to the establishment plus the manager on duty, and the bartender or server who continued to serve alcohol to an obviously drunk and thereby reason-impaired customer.

At a place I worked, we called the DDs the "designated bored persons", since they had to sit and watch their companions get drunk and stupid and embarrassing or boring. Free entrée, always, and all the free non-alcohol beverages they wanted.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline worlder

• Bishop
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
So from what I get is that MADD is kind of like PETA.

Admirable ideals. Terrible implementations of those ideals.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »
Here's an idea: whenever someone sits down in the driver's seat, a needle sticks out into their butt and takes a blood sample.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!