Author Topic: Look what I found in my Inbox!  (Read 20945 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Look what I found in my Inbox!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:36 pm »
I got one once when I was ten from a Russian widow. I knew it was a scam, but it was very odd.

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:16:41 am »
I've actually gotten a few of them in the past, but the one I've posted is actually very well written compared to the other ones. Sadly, my mother almost fell for it once and I had to stop her from giving her credit card number to the guy....

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:34 am »
I got one from Canada once, IIRC. :P
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 04:23:26 am »
I once got one of the Irish Lottery scam ones... I played them along sending them retarded questions and setting up a meeting in their 'offices' in Dublin (an address that was an abandoned building). The actual scam was based on the ludicrous 'courier fee' that they charged for sending the certified cheque for my 'winnings' (€11,000,000 and some change) to my then address in England. Of course, the cheque could be collected in person (from this ficticious office), in which case there was no delivery fee, but a 'processing fee' of some €500.

Obviously I did not go to Dublin, but the day after the supposed meeting, I asked them what had happened to their office... They gave me a new address in Dublin and claimed that they had recently relocated and had been using email 'forms' that had not been updated.

It amazed me at how persistent these fuckers were. They even suggested I take out a loan to pay for the 'courier fee'!

One activity that gives me great amusement these days is to forward letters from Nigeria to email accounts from which I have recieved other letters from Nigeria. I gives me a nice warm feeling thinking that maybe these people would like to get together and have their own online community - into which a few fucks can occasionally be fired by concerned citizens.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:27:55 am by Jack Bauer »
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 11:59:40 am »
Be careful though, most Nigerian scams are just after your money, but some are setting you up for a kidnapping. Play with them all you like, but if they suggest a meeting, call the police.

Or, set up the meeting so you can completely fuck the would be kidnappers world over with some Grade A Ranger Skills.  8)
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 12:54:01 pm »
3) It's a Class E felony to pretend to be an officer of the military (at least the US military)

I guess if you're going to commit a felony, it might as well be a class E one.

Why go for the lowest rank? lol

...it was a pun. Class E = classy.

Steaaaalth pun.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:51 pm »
Heh. I got another one in my inbox this morning, and this time the deal was for a measly million bucks... The idiots have the details of the deal in attachments, and I'm too scared of viruses to open it so I just deleted it lol

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 02:26:46 pm »
3) It's a Class E felony to pretend to be an officer of the military (at least the US military)

I guess if you're going to commit a felony, it might as well be a class E one.

Why go for the lowest rank? lol

...it was a pun. Class E = classy.

Steaaaalth pun.

It's because of how class E I am.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:34 am »
I once got one of the Irish Lottery scam ones... I played them along sending them retarded questions and setting up a meeting in their 'offices' in Dublin (an address that was an abandoned building). The actual scam was based on the ludicrous 'courier fee' that they charged for sending the certified cheque for my 'winnings' (€11,000,000 and some change) to my then address in England. Of course, the cheque could be collected in person (from this ficticious office), in which case there was no delivery fee, but a 'processing fee' of some €500.

Obviously I did not go to Dublin, but the day after the supposed meeting, I asked them what had happened to their office... They gave me a new address in Dublin and claimed that they had recently relocated and had been using email 'forms' that had not been updated.

It amazed me at how persistent these fuckers were. They even suggested I take out a loan to pay for the 'courier fee'!

One activity that gives me great amusement these days is to forward letters from Nigeria to email accounts from which I have recieved other letters from Nigeria. I gives me a nice warm feeling thinking that maybe these people would like to get together and have their own online community - into which a few fucks can occasionally be fired by concerned citizens.

My grandfather always gets those things, and actually takes them seriously. The only reason he hasn't been suckered by one yet is because he doesn't know how to text (yay for stereotypes) and so always asks me to collect the supposed winnings for him whenever I'm around.

I swear, I've debunked three of the bloody things so far with nothing more than a google search of the name of the would-be lottery and he still takes them seriously.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:31 am »
Oooh... that site looks like FUN! :D Now I'm thinking of contacting the guy and fucking with his head and making him think he's got a chance of scamming me...
You certainly should. As long as you don't give him any of your details, they can't touch you. Play your cards right, and you can make them do crazy shit like write out Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by hand.

It still amazes me the that these scammers would do all that. You would think they realize that there is something up.

My grandfather always gets those things, and actually takes them seriously. The only reason he hasn't been suckered by one yet is because he doesn't know how to text (yay for stereotypes) and so always asks me to collect the supposed winnings for him whenever I'm around.

I swear, I've debunked three of the bloody things so far with nothing more than a google search of the name of the would-be lottery and he still takes them seriously.

Wow. You keep taking care of him now.
-A Pen Name

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 12:02:19 pm »
Scam-baiting is definitely fun. You would be surprised as some of the shit you can get them to do while distracting them from preying on others.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »
I sometimes wish I could do it. Unfortunately, I do not have a very good instinct for messing with people, even just as a lighthearted joke.
-A Pen Name

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 02:47:24 am »
If something seems too good to be true, then the odds are is isn't true.

It amazes me how some people can believe that they have won a lottery for which they have not even bought tickets. Do they think that they have had some sort of stealth visit from the Lottery Ticket Fairy? Did their fairy godmother wave her magic wand (from which small glittery stars emanate)? Did their dog raid their wallet and go down to the store to purchase a lottery ticket?
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 03:01:55 pm »
I love getting scams and phishing emails just to see how stupid they are. Like this one (My comments in purple):

Subject: BigPond ADSL Broadband Service Suspension [uh, I use AT&T]

Dear BigPond User, [you would think they'd bother to put my name]
Telstra BigPond is sending you this e-mail to inform you that our service to you could be suspended. [normally, you would send an email and a letter, possibly with a phone call] This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. You have changed your billing address. [no]
2. You have Submitted [sic] incorrect information during bill payment process.[sic]
3. Your credit/debit card has expired. [It expires 2013. If I was using you, you'd know that]
4. You didnt [sic] update your bigpond [sic - consistency is key to making you sound real, ya know] profile.

According to above [sic], and to ensure that your service is not interrupted [seems like an odd interjection. Consider revising], we request [this relative clause should start with "that] you to confirm and update your billing information now
BY CLICKING HERE. [All CAPS that's really going to convince me to click!]

If you have already confirmed your billing information[,] then please disregard this message as we are processing the changes you have made.

Regards,
Telstra
Billing Department
Thanks for your co-operation.

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, Telstra (r) [why not ®?] will
periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Auri-El

• Raxacoricofallapatorian
  • Pope
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:19 pm »
For those who set up "meetings" with these people, can't you notify the police and get at least one person/group stopped? I'm probably talking shit I know nothing about, but just wondering if there's really anything to be done besides just clicking delete.