Author Topic: A question of conspiracy theories.  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Id82

• The Beast
A question of conspiracy theories.
« on: November 22, 2019, 06:12:25 pm »
I've been wondering this for a while, but why is the right wing more susceptible to Conspiracy theories? It's gotten so bad in recent years with the Q anon and now Trump himself spitting conspiracy theories out that his base all seem to believe. I'm not saying that there's no left wing conspiracies. I have no doubt that the truther movement, and vaccine denialism and even the birther movement started out on the left but then the right just runs with them and it blows up even more on their side of the aisle to the point where it's taking over government. Why is this? And why are they on the rise?

Also what leads more people on the left to be more skeptical?

Or is it the other way around where the right wing doesn't make you more conspiratorial, but conspiracist are just more likely to be right wing?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
Re: A question of conspiracy theories.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:31:04 pm »
I've been wondering this for a while, but why is the right wing more susceptible to Conspiracy theories? It's gotten so bad in recent years with the Q anon and now Trump himself spitting conspiracy theories out that his base all seem to believe. I'm not saying that there's no left wing conspiracies. I have no doubt that the truther movement, and vaccine denialism and even the birther movement started out on the left but then the right just runs with them and it blows up even more on their side of the aisle to the point where it's taking over government. Why is this? And why are they on the rise?

Also what leads more people on the left to be more skeptical?

Or is it the other way around where the right wing doesn't make you more conspiratorial, but conspiracist are just more likely to be right wing?

Quote from Texas Republican Platform in 2012:

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs that are simply a relabeling of Outcome-Based Education (OBE) (mastery learning) which focus on behavior modification and have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 10:52:46 am »
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure the right is really more prone to conspiracy theories. But I remember hearing this theory that the "tribe" with less influence over mainstream society and culture is more likely to buy into conspiracy theories to explain why they're on the back foot in the culture war. If that's the case, then it might be a cyclical thing.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 11:56:14 pm »
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure the right is really more prone to conspiracy theories. But I remember hearing this theory that the "tribe" with less influence over mainstream society and culture is more likely to buy into conspiracy theories to explain why they're on the back foot in the culture war. If that's the case, then it might be a cyclical thing.

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why this continues to happen even, perhaps especially even, when the hard right are in power they resort to them still.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 04:24:20 pm »
Conspiracy theories are fascinating though. I think most conspiracy theories come from either fear or a need to make some sense in a chaotic world. As for why the right seems to fall into this kind of thinking. Well there was a study done comparing liberal brains and conservative brains and well I'll let this video explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjjME3oYbps&t=2s

"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 12:21:31 am »

Possibly, but that doesn't explain why this continues to happen even, perhaps especially even, when the hard right are in power they resort to them still.

There's a difference between sociocultural influence and political power. But again, that's just a theory I heard. Not sure how much stock I put in it.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.