Author Topic: Good/bad anime thread  (Read 70056 times)

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
Re: Good/bad anime thread
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2013, 09:42:20 pm »
I don't view "subbers" taking scripts from Crunchyroll as subbers. They're akin to "scrubbers" in the tokusatsu fandom who clean up ropey old releases, but without even the justification that was exists already is terrible.

I work on mainly 70s-80s stuff, usually mecha, but more importantly stuff that's not licensed. I usually can't be arsed to get into ethical debates on popular modern shows that get official streamed releases, because those just devolve into massive shouting matches.

Well, that officially makes you the kind of fansubber that doesn't bother me. If something is unlicensed or out of print, there's no legal option anyway, so you don't have the option in the first place.
Who needs a signature?

Saturn500

« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2013, 12:50:11 pm »
Yotsuba&!'s awesome. That is all.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #212 on: March 16, 2013, 01:28:48 pm »
I watched "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" last night. As always, Miyazaki's work is awesome.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2013, 02:51:02 am »
So, can anyone explain the hype of Sword Art Online? I'm watching it and so far it's pretty much .hack with the serial number filed off.
Who needs a signature?

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
So, can anyone explain the hype of Sword Art Online? I'm watching it and so far it's pretty much .hack with the serial number filed off.

Because the anime fandom has a 5 year memory tops and doesn't remember .hack.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2013, 01:41:51 pm »

Lots of fandoms are the same.

I have to admit though that anime and manga seem to have several extremely specific settings or scenarios that are the starting point of an series.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #216 on: March 20, 2013, 06:35:36 pm »

Lots of fandoms are the same.

I have to admit though that anime and manga seem to have several extremely specific settings or scenarios that are the starting point of an series.

I find it's worse with the anime fandom due to evolving art styles and tech.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #217 on: March 20, 2013, 07:35:19 pm »
There's an obscure (I think) anime that I own the first several episodes of called Corrector Yui, which I bought from my local dollar store.  It's one of the worse dub-voice jobs I've heard, to the point I had to change the language to Japanese because I thought it was so bad, one character in particular who spoke with either some sort of accent or speech impediment that drove me nuts.  Wasn't that crazy about the anime overall, either, and haven't watched the DVD in years.  In fact, I now wonder if I ever watched all the episodes that were on it.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2013, 12:41:36 am »
I think I've found at least three manga series based on the premise, A teenager (usually girl) inherits a huge debt from parent(s) (Usually alive but merely running away from the debt leaving the kid behind on purpose) and this debt has been bought by Yakuza. As payment, the teenager must serve the young master of the Yakuza gang (who happens to be the same age.)

This is a romance.

Suprisingly it has resulted in good stories.

There are some tropes/archetypes that are similar in other stories but that was just so specific that I found it funny that it seems like it is a genre.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2013, 04:32:53 am »
Ok, I just spent an hour and a half writing a rant about Sword Art Online. As I don't want it to go to too much waste:

(click to show/hide)

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention in my rant: The fact that its an online world doesn't really mean anything in the Aincrad arc.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:43:35 am by Wolf Lord Waldorf X »
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #220 on: April 09, 2013, 11:11:00 am »
Girls und panzer!

If someone asks you how is Japan weird this show is a pretty good example. We have this alternative world where schoolgirls can take an afterschool hobby of fighting with tanks. Real tanks from WW2. But don't worry, they aren't using real ammo. Although the shells do explode and sometimes the impact might flip the tank over but this is ok because carbon lining and computer whatnot...

Don't worry about details, it is awesome.

At this point you want to shake the hand of whoever thought of this then you hear WHY the girls are training with tanks. "Because it makes them better wives and mothers."

Seriously.

Apparently it is considered a feminine art. In fact guys aren't allowed into the sport because they might get too violent or bloodthirsty or something but 12 year old girls fighting with tanks is ok.  ???

And now that you realize that the series is full of little girls in short skirted school uniforms you hear that the creator specifically forbid panty shots and other such fanservice.  :-\

I seriosly don't know if I should punch the guy or shake his hand but this actually does make a pretty fun series with slapstick humour and serious drama between and during crazy awesome tank battles. (I am grateful that this isn't some borderline pedophile show full of panty shots though.)

Another show worth mentioning: Vandread.

Ok, there are these two colonies that have been fighting each other for generations. Both colonies are made up from humans but the other one only has women and other is entirely men and they no longer even remember that they are the same species...

How is that possible?

Well the female colony practises some hybrid of cloning and artificial insemination with the child (always a girl) getting genes from both parents. (Stereotypical femme/butch lesbian couples)
The male world on the other hand grows the kids in factories, they also get dna from mixing up the dna of two donor parents. And this may be one of the rare occasions when the phrase "no homo" can be used because apparently the men have no concept of sex and the "parents" are just some buddies who think getting a kid would be cool. I don't know if they even raise the kid together or if it's some commune school/nursery or something. (The show doesn't go into details.)

As for why they don't know about men and women? There is some mention of one group stealing one of the original colony ships and running away with it, this might have started the conflict and maybe they just didn't tell anything to their kids or something.

This whole premise is just so weird that I love it.

The actual series is a bunch of space combat and "combining" robots and fighters as the heroes (three guys and a ship full of women) are forced to fight alongside by a mutual enemy and start learning more about each other and their past. Also comedy and romance.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2013, 08:13:26 pm »
Ah Vandread, keep watching it, it does explain why the 2 planets are separate (and it manages to pull off the clueless harem lead convincinly). Shame the sequel plans got canned.

14 episodes into Utena and I'm beginning to see why a mate of mine called it "shoujo Evangelion".

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #222 on: April 09, 2013, 11:19:23 pm »
So Urobutcher is making a new series.  http://www.crunchyroll.com/gargantia-on-the-verdurous-planet
I predict butterflies

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #223 on: August 08, 2014, 10:54:07 am »
First of all:

Second, I am bringing back this thread since the mecha-anime talk has a better place here rather than the Japanese space army thread.

Third:

Having now watched most of Macross I have to say that I like it despite the horrible HORRIBLE quality of animation. ...That one knife fight...  *Brrr* Also, seeing that this IS a Japanese series I get the feeling that whole "Babies come from kissing" scene (which probably has way too many hentai and fanfic versions that are, shall we say "more medically accurate..." Actually, considering the types of sex scenes in hentai and the quality of an average slash-fic it is more likely that most of those scenes are anatomically impossible.) was due to censorship. Still, it was funny when an interrogation turns to "NOW, KISS!"

Anyway, what were we even talking about when this thread was last seen?
So Urobutcher is making a new series.  http://www.crunchyroll.com/gargantia-on-the-verdurous-planet
I predict butterflies
That series was awesome! I loved every second. The reveal in the first episode, the awkward main character, the giant mecha-AI. The plot was great.

(I haven't watched the other series set in the same world but it is apparently even sadder...)

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2014, 01:43:03 pm »
Did you get into the last 10 eps of Macross, they're quite interesting because they were added on fairly late. Unusual to see the post-victory cleanup.