Author Topic: Asian Privilege?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
Asian Privilege?
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:00:49 am »
So Bill O'Reilly brought this up over the issue of white privilege and the Ferguson situation. I'm sure some Asians like myself would appreciate your praising of us, but that doesn't hide the, less discussed, issues that Asians still deal with.

So yeah, white privilege and Asian privilege, is that something or a load of ****?

(I apologize if this opens a can of worms I'll regret)
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: Asian Privilege?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:07:16 am »
White privilege: yeah, as abused as this is by Tumblr, it's still a thing to a certain extent.

Asian privilege: Don't you have some kids to be chasing off your lawn Bill?

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:54:50 am »
White privilege: Exists, but anyone who actually brings up white privilege is pretty much blowing it completely out of proportion. As with everything in life, it is far more complex and nuanced but being white in the western world comes with a number of advantages.

Asian privilege: I have never heard of this before, but in the western world, despite the smart Asian stereotype, my understanding is Asians still receive a fair amount of prejudice against them.

Privilege is really contextual. White privilege only really applies in western society. Being a white westerner in Asia is pretty much the equivalent of putting a target marker on your head for "sucker". While an Asian is far more likely to be able to integrate into that society. Being white in Africa will generally provide you with a strange degree of safety and civility, but true trusted integration is pretty close to impossible.

Privilege, its complicated.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:38 am »
Nothing is a simple as people make it out to be.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:07:47 am »
I will say this, on the subject of Asian privilege: While I do not have facts, and have not studied the situation, it would not surprise me if it turned out that Asians tended to run equal to white Americans in American jobs, employment rates, and the like.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.