Author Topic: The Let's Plays Thread.  (Read 16450 times)

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
Re: The Let's Plays Thread.
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
Do the other video players really run that badly? I was just watching a LP on one of them (Viddler, to be specific) and it works perfectly fine. It's no worse than YouTube.
As I said already, yes they do. I'll grant that Blip.tv is fine but Viddler is ass, as they videos play faster than they buffer.
Some of them even provide direct download links, in which case there is pretty much no excuse for complaining about where the video is uploaded.
That's even worse. Downloading isn't exactly instantaneous, nor is bandwidth unlimited.

>Downloading
>Worse than streaming

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 03:52:49 am »
^ It always amuses me when someone reacts to a perfectly reasonable statement with shock and horror as if it's an alien concept.

Streaming -> You watch the video as it loads, and then you're done and can move on.

Downloading -> You have to wait for the video to fully download, then you watch it, then you have to delete it or otherwise let it clog up your hard drive.

One is far easier than the other and more or less has the same quality if someone didn't do something ass-backwards.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:25 pm »
I just started watching Chuggaaconroy's Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Emerald let's plays. While I'm annoyed that he off screens a lot of trainer battles, he otherwise manages something I've never seen before. A Pokemon let's play that's not boring as fuck.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:57 am »
I just started watching Chuggaaconroy's Pokemon Crystal and Pokemon Emerald let's plays. While I'm annoyed that he off screens a lot of trainer battles, he otherwise manages something I've never seen before. A Pokemon let's play that's not boring as fuck.

I wonder if it being entertaining has anything to do with the fact that he off-screens the tedium of some of the trainer battles?

Incidentally, that reminds me.

If you like Scottish accents and temper flares that match the infamous Donald Duck, watch ScottishDuck's let's plays.  However, be warned - he's pretty terrible at some games.  Which is actually his draw - lots of people love to see him fail and get angry over it.

Whereas DeceasedCrab is more of a sarcastic venomous speech, ScottishDuck just unleashes fury upon the game he's playing and himself for playing it.

Just don't feel bad for skipping parts of his videos.  I do >_>;
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:17:42 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:21 am »
I wonder if it being entertaining has anything to do with the fact that he off-screens the tedium of some of the trainer battles?
I personally don't find the trainer battles to be quite boring enough to justify cutting from the videos. Of course, wild pokemon battles are boring as fuck, but at least trainer battles are varied enough to be at least mildly interesting.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2012, 04:00:43 am »
I personally don't find the trainer battles to be quite boring enough to justify cutting from the videos. Of course, wild pokemon battles are boring as fuck, but at least trainer battles are varied enough to be at least mildly interesting.

In general, it's just a matter of time investment, I'd think. When you look at the playlists, the LPs are already fairly long. Add in a couple hundred trainer battles that have nothing to do with story progression, and that bloats the count considerably. It would lead to quite a few videos being little more than staying in a single route fighting the trainers, with no actual progression made in the grand scheme of the game. It also becomes rather frustrating to commentate random trainer battles--many areas have you fighting the same Pokemon repeatedly, and you quickly run out of random BS to talk about.

It's kind of a mixed bag, I suppose. On one hand, it feels like a waste for him not to show the battles--and by skipping them to do later, he often faces challenges noticeably under-leveled. But at the same time, showing them all really wouldn't contribute a whole lot to the LP experience, and could even distract from it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2012, 04:15:40 am »
In general, it's just a matter of time investment, I'd think. When you look at the playlists, the LPs are already fairly long. Add in a couple hundred trainer battles that have nothing to do with story progression, and that bloats the count considerably. It would lead to quite a few videos being little more than staying in a single route fighting the trainers, with no actual progression made in the grand scheme of the game. It also becomes rather frustrating to commentate random trainer battles--many areas have you fighting the same Pokemon repeatedly, and you quickly run out of random BS to talk about.

It's kind of a mixed bag, I suppose. On one hand, it feels like a waste for him not to show the battles--and by skipping them to do later, he often faces challenges noticeably under-leveled. But at the same time, showing them all really wouldn't contribute a whole lot to the LP experience, and could even distract from it.
I've always wondered though, why not just add an annotation to the start of any trainer battles that links to whatever time they're over, while at the same time commentating very little over them? That way, those who want to watch them can do so, while those who don't are easily able to skip them without really missing any commentary. Don't get me wrong, I do get that most people don't want to see much of anything grindy in a let's play, but it would be nice if those of us who're more anal about seeing everything that's going on at least had the option.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2012, 04:32:04 am »
I've always wondered though, why not just add an annotation to the start of any trainer battles that links to whatever time they're over, while at the same time commentating very little over them? That way, those who want to watch them can do so, while those who don't are easily able to skip them without really missing any commentary. Don't get me wrong, I do get that most people don't want to see much of anything grindy in a let's play, but it would be nice if those of us who're more anal about seeing everything that's going on at least had the option.

Well, there could be a number of issues with that, honestly. One is that with streaming video, linking to time skips could often disrupt the play of the video. There's also an issue that if you commentate at all during the battles that many will skip, it can cause a break in communication as you'll naturally continue on topics that you likely weren't even talking about before the skip happened.

At the end of the day, though, I suppose I just don't see the point of covering them. It's not like the trainers are hiding away and difficult to find when you go through and play the game yourself. Well, except for that bastard with the Riolu in B/W... he was pretty out of the way to complete the SinnohDex. For the sake of an LP, I just don't think it's important to know how many Magikarp Fisherman Tucker has.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2012, 04:44:17 am »
Well, there could be a number of issues with that, honestly. One is that with streaming video, linking to time skips could often disrupt the play of the video. There's also an issue that if you commentate at all during the battles that many will skip, it can cause a break in communication as you'll naturally continue on topics that you likely weren't even talking about before the skip happened.
Hence why I said keep the commentary to a minimum, meaning only talk if there's something about the current battle that needs to be said (and be sure to mention it again outside of a random trainer battle if need be), thus saving one's repertoire of fluff commentary for the parts everyone will be watching.
At the end of the day, though, I suppose I just don't see the point of covering them. It's not like the trainers are hiding away and difficult to find when you go through and play the game yourself. Well, except for that bastard with the Riolu in B/W... he was pretty out of the way to complete the SinnohDex. For the sake of an LP, I just don't think it's important to know how many Magikarp Fisherman Tucker has.
Of course, it's hardly vital to the let's play, it's just nice for those of us who really want to see it to have the option.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »
The problem with Let's Plays is that you can't please everybody.

I'm sure there are people that hate it when HCBailly doesn't show every random battle or just flat-out runs away from them when they get too fierce, but the fact of the matter is, there are people who would complain if he DIDN'T do them.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2012, 05:52:11 pm »
I was wondering if any of you know the name of a Minecraft let's play of a challenge map is called. The map is mostly an island of sand in a sea of lava with the goal being to "complete the victory monument". At one point the person playing got surrounded by 9 or so creepers while hiding on top of a couple blocks. The video is on YouTube and was rather long(about 90 minutes I think) and posted a one video when I watched. It was supposed to be the first part of a series. I've tried searching for it but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?

Edit: Found it after searching "victory monument." (Doh!) The map is one of the "Super Hostile" series and the video was made by PaperBatVG. I was wrong about length, it's 2:46:36. Definitely worth watching if your a fan of Minecraft, and maybe even if your not. Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nl8OcTiMEw
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 05:59:54 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Art Vandelay

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2012, 07:58:49 pm »
I was wondering if any of you know the name of a Minecraft let's play of a challenge map is called. The map is mostly an island of sand in a sea of lava with the goal being to "complete the victory monument". At one point the person playing got surrounded by 9 or so creepers while hiding on top of a couple blocks. The video is on YouTube and was rather long(about 90 minutes I think) and posted a one video when I watched. It was supposed to be the first part of a series. I've tried searching for it but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help?

Edit: Found it after searching "victory monument." (Doh!) The map is one of the "Super Hostile" series and the video was made by PaperBatVG. I was wrong about length, it's 2:46:36. Definitely worth watching if your a fan of Minecraft, and maybe even if your not. Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nl8OcTiMEw
I love those Minecraft survival Let's Plays. If you ask me, the best part by far of Shadow of Israfael was season 2, which was set on the Survival Island map.

If you like that sort of thing, I'd also highly recommend CaptainSparklez's Skyblock Survival let's play, and AntVenom's ongoing Ant Farm Survival Let's Play (this one especially, if only for the sheer amount of effort that's gone into just the background.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2012, 08:12:28 pm »
^Skyblock is kinda overrated, IMO.  Sure, it was fun when NakaTeleeli was doing it, but he could talk about paint drying and I'd be completely enamored.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2012, 08:32:23 pm »
I'll admit CaptainSparklez's Skyblock play though is the first and only Skyblock series I watched, so to me it was quite original. Probably not worth it though if you have seen a bunch of Skyblock Let's Plays already.

In other news, I've realised that in eight years, I've never come close to finishing Myst: Uru. As such, I've decided: Fuck it, I'll just watch a damn Let's Play.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 06:16:26 am by Art Vandelay »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2012, 05:05:40 pm »
Time for some shameless self-pimping!  Ze intro to my (hopefully soon) upcoming LP of Thief II.  Enjoy, bitches.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJooGGFuKWo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJooGGFuKWo</a>
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.