Author Topic: R.I.P. Omar Sharif  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
R.I.P. Omar Sharif
« on: July 10, 2015, 01:10:23 pm »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
Re: R.I.P. Omar Sharif
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 03:39:04 pm »
Danm, LoA was one of my favourite films, he did a good job in it.

I wish his family well.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:44:09 am »

I wish his family well.

That was a great movie. Or, it was once you got over there was only one Arab in the whole 6 hours.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 10:03:39 am »

I wish his family well.

That was a great movie. Or, it was once you got over there was only one Arab in the whole 6 hours.

Hollywood has always had that problem. Danny Glover has had that Haiti film ( http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/danny-glovers-toussaint-louverture-film-that-never-was-but-could-still-be ) that he has fought over for 30 years but Hollywood won't make it since "there are no white heroes in it." If they ever make a movie about (based on historical things or not) they make sure to cast "enough" white characters even if it means rewriting the script.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »
They kind of fixed it in Hidalgo. But you're right. Hollywood has always had a thing for darkening up the white guy.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:38:32 pm »
They kind of fixed it in Hidalgo. But you're right. Hollywood has always had a thing for darkening up the white guy.
Oh, that too. Remember when John Wayne played Ghengis Khan?

But my point was that when possible they simply cast white guys for roles. These days you rarely see anyone in blackface (apart from jokes like in Tropic thunder) but I admit that it used to happen unironically. These days they simply decide that the script is better with a white guy "for reasons" or replace historically important character to the story with a white guy if said important character wasn't a white guy.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 06:47:36 am »
Omar Sharif was Arabic wasn't he?

What a man.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 01:20:52 pm »

What a man.

Egyptian. I'm not really sure if that's Arabic or not. He was also one of the top ranked bridge players.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 01:26:32 pm »

What a man.

Egyptian. I'm not really sure if that's Arabic or not. He was also one of the top ranked bridge players.

It depends on how you define "Arabic".

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:32:42 pm »

What a man.

Yes most Egyptians are Arabs.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR