Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507569 times)

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1275 on: November 11, 2012, 05:43:08 pm »
The original FF14 is dead.  They're beginning to bring on the 2.0 version.  The trailer they did showing the end of the original world is amazingly done:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqL3-n2-3J4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqL3-n2-3J4</a>

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1276 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:26 am »
Well, I just finished Dreamfall, and I have to say, the devs really ballsed it up. The Longest Journey had a very interesting and coherent story, Dreamfall was just a complete mess in that department, as well as just a wee bit pretentious. Ah well, I guess it's fun to theorise what exactly went wrong during development.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #1277 on: November 12, 2012, 12:36:12 pm »
EDIT:  Okay, I beat AC3 last night.  Not going to spoil anything, but that was a much darker game than any of the previous games.

This!
(click to show/hide)

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #1278 on: November 12, 2012, 01:38:21 pm »
Was really considering Skyrim a debacle after some serious thunking after the fact. Oblivion wasn't perfect, but Fallout and Fallout New Vegas meant they could have done a lot more.

I've come back with the Skyrim Redone mod and my my my, it's like playing a much different and vastly improved game. Anyone want to play a game of Punchies?
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #1279 on: November 13, 2012, 06:09:14 am »
Punched in a prepaid card for TOR over the weekend.

For some reason I find the fact that I can dual wield red and blue lightsabers to be badass:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1280 on: November 13, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »
Why would you prepay for a game that is going FTP on the 15th, tho?

At any rate, I think I dual-wielded purple and white before. That was fun. When it goes FTP I may be signing up soon.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #1281 on: November 13, 2012, 02:27:18 pm »
Why would you prepay for a game that is going FTP on the 15th, tho?

1) Some races are not available to F2P, unless you either buy the race specifically or had a character of that race as a subscriber.

2) BioWare is giving out free Cartel Coins to prior subscribers who have an active account between the day it goes F2P and Dec 20th. (I think that is the date...) If at any point in there you have a subscription, you get the coins.

3) Warzones and Flashpoints are limited if you are F2P.

4) Cannot run Ops if you are F2P.

That's what I remember off the top of my head. I just reactivated my account.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1282 on: November 13, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »
Yeah, see. I'm one of those people who if it's FTP I'm happy with what I get. Heh. I have enough subscriptions to things I will constantly use rather than play once in a while.

It's why when I hear about something going FTP like STO I tend to just wait instead of "wasting" the money. Even if there's a FTP level cap I never hit it with how little I play.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #1283 on: November 13, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »
Blue covered alot of it.  I generally hate F2P restrictions, if I enjoy it, I'll pay for it.  Although I generally don't subscribe, I usually use either pre-paid cards or using their website to pay for certain amount in months ahead of time.  Some games don't have either of these options which really piss me off. (ie. The Secret World).

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #1284 on: November 13, 2012, 06:39:08 pm »
I'm getting some serious replay value outta Hotline Miami.  I'm not even bothering to try and get all the secrets, its just that much damn fun.

Also, I think Technic is making me lazy, I just built a rig to automate the creation of insulated copper cables, because I find adding rubber to each stack of cable (which I have to have, for certain high-end machinery) really god damned tedious.  So...I built a machine to not only do it for me automatically, but to generate the stuff on its own, with help from two Mk III collectors and two condensers.  Again, because I utterly despise tedium.

Except when it comes to digging.  I love digging on my own and I find quarries and the supporting machinery they require to function independently not only cumbersome, but boring.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1285 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:11 pm »
Started Black Ops II. Already feel like it's gonna be a damn mindfuck like the first one. It'll be a fun ride once I can play without interruption so I can understand the damn plot.

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1286 on: November 13, 2012, 09:11:32 pm »
What's so hard to understand about the plot? It's Call of Duty, the game where the story is always about as complex as "you have gun, darkies/ruskies over there, you go shoot them, then die dramatically to a nuke".

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1287 on: November 13, 2012, 09:59:08 pm »

Possible spoilers:

So far I've dealt with trying to run with a man (who has been starved and tortured) out of harm's way (in a dense jungle if I might add), seen a child soldier bashed in the head for not handling his gun properly, and generally under the assumption that the protagonist, Mason, is still suffering ill effects from the shit that happened in the first game.

There's also apparently a time skip from the 1980s to 2025 which is gonna throw me for a damn loop. I have to keep up with the time hops from "present day" to the 80s then up to 2025.

I generally prefer Treyarch's way of doing things to Infinity Ward's way of doing things. The gameplay seems a bit more solid.

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1288 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:01 pm »
So basically it's going for the Homefront style "throw a bunch of atrocities at you and hope something sticks".

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1289 on: November 13, 2012, 10:16:31 pm »
...Not really? But whatever. I don't feel like explaining the plot and the game as a whole to someone who doesn't legitimately give a damn.

I did hop to 2025 again and the future shit is neat but not impossible like in some games I've played.

&