Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508445 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #1605 on: January 23, 2013, 10:11:12 am »
Goddamn Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories. They're both good games, but the PSP and its controls are just so bad that it's almost unplayable. Why those games were never ported to Xbox and/or PC, I'll never understand.
It's been ported to the PS2...
Which I do not have. I've only got a PC and Xbox 360. Therein lies the problem. Have you seen how much a PS2 goes for? That shit's expensive.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1606 on: January 23, 2013, 10:56:12 am »
...A PS2 now that the PS3 came out goes for about $150 last I looked on amazon when I was sifting through things. If you get it used thru Amazon you can get it for $80-$100. And if you're lucky you can find a good condition PS2 for around $50 from a reputable dealer.

Also, PS3s have backwards compatibility depending on how old the console itself is. For instance the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle model supports backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

But... I do see where you're coming from. Simply saying the option is there. And I'm sure someone has emulated the games for PC.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #1607 on: January 23, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
So I decided out of the blue today that I want to do a marathon run of the entire ME trilogy from beginning to end, all DLC's included.  Probably gonna start on it sometime this weekend.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1608 on: January 23, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »
...A PS2 now that the PS3 came out goes for about $150 last I looked on amazon when I was sifting through things. If you get it used thru Amazon you can get it for $80-$100. And if you're lucky you can find a good condition PS2 for around $50 from a reputable dealer.

Also, PS3s have backwards compatibility depending on how old the console itself is. For instance the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle model supports backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

But... I do see where you're coming from. Simply saying the option is there. And I'm sure someone has emulated the games for PC.
I'm on a rather tight budget right now, so dropping $80 on a new console just for two games is completely unjustifiable. Though yeah, if I had a powerful enough PC, emulation would also be a good option. Anything really where I can play those games with a controllable camera.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #1609 on: January 23, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »
For instance the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle model supports backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

Not for long. Sony is going to update PS3s with software based backwards compatibility so that they are no longer backwards compatible... which is one of the most amazingly stupid ideas I've heard from Sony.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1610 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:17 pm »
For instance the 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle model supports backwards compatibility with PS2 games.

Not for long. Sony is going to update PS3s with software based backwards compatibility so that they are no longer backwards compatible... which is one of the most amazingly stupid ideas I've heard from Sony.

Why let people play their old PS2 games when you can force them to buy them again over PSN?

Saturn500

« Reply #1611 on: January 23, 2013, 08:02:10 pm »
Sources please, Waldorf. I looked it up, and didn't find any even remotely recent news on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:13:50 pm by Saturn500 »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #1612 on: January 24, 2013, 02:59:20 am »
Sources please, Waldorf. I looked it up, and didn't find any even remotely recent news on the subject.

The only source I have is my friend who works at Gamestop. He claims that Gamestop stopped listing 80gb PS3s with 4 USB ports as backwards compatible due to a PS3 update that would take remove it. I do not rule out the possibility of him being wrong.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1613 on: January 24, 2013, 03:59:21 am »

The only source I have is my friend who works at Gamestop. He claims that Gamestop stopped listing 80gb PS3s with 4 USB ports as backwards compatible due to a PS3 update that would take remove it. I do not rule out the possibility of him being wrong.

Except there'd be no point to push out an update for a specific model of console. That's too much fucking work. Instead, make newer models come without the compatibility. Which is what they already did.

My PS3 Slim has no backwards compatibility. It is missing the hardware to do it.

@Art- fair enough, as I said.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #1614 on: January 24, 2013, 05:03:37 am »
Took a break from writing to download and play some DLC for Tropico 4.  Bad enough as they next 3 hours disappeared.

I did think it was funny when the priest contacted me and demanded that I ban contraceptives.  I looked at my poulation, which was about 70% women and though, "Ah, no."

I ended up losing the election after having single-digit favorable ratings for the Religious and Communist Factions.  That's right, the groups that loved religion and hated religion both hated me!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #1615 on: January 24, 2013, 05:51:47 am »
I got Saints Row the Third: the full package.

Dildo bats here I come. (heheh... come)

&

Art Vandelay

« Reply #1616 on: January 26, 2013, 06:57:44 am »
You know, I'm thinking I'll get back into Sim City 4 Deluxe. Man, I've a lot of good memories with that game.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #1617 on: January 26, 2013, 08:45:04 am »
Took a break from writing to download and play some DLC for Tropico 4.  Bad enough as they next 3 hours disappeared.

I did think it was funny when the priest contacted me and demanded that I ban contraceptives.  I looked at my poulation, which was about 70% women and though, "Ah, no."

I ended up losing the election after having single-digit favorable ratings for the Religious and Communist Factions.  That's right, the groups that loved religion and hated religion both hated me!

You may have gotten wires crossed there. It's the religious and intellectuals that tend to be at odds--making one happy tends to involve pissing the other off, at least as far as policies and such go. The communist counterpart would be the capitalist faction.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #1618 on: January 26, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
I just realised that THQ going bankrupt might mean we lost Metro: last light which is a shame because I was waiting for that one (Metro 2033 is an good game and the original book is awesome) and it was just few months away from being published...

Seems like another company just bought the rights, I hope they still publish the game (and don't fuck it up.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #1619 on: January 27, 2013, 02:07:43 am »
I just realised that THQ going bankrupt might mean we lost Metro: last light which is a shame because I was waiting for that one (Metro 2033 is an good game and the original book is awesome) and it was just few months away from being published...

Seems like another company just bought the rights, I hope they still publish the game (and don't fuck it up.)

There doesn't appear to be anything stopping Metro's release. I just want some confirmation on the status of Darksiders and the Games Workshop license.
Who needs a signature?