Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1508705 times)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2190 on: April 03, 2013, 10:54:27 pm »
Bought the new borderlands 2 DLC. Goddamn I love it when they raise the level cap
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #2191 on: April 05, 2013, 01:55:59 am »
Bought the new borderlands 2 DLC. Goddamn I love it when they raise the level cap

Unfortunately to actually get to the new one you basically have to go to the new mode they added on.

Also I am on playthrough one billion of Mass Effect 3 on 360 while working my way thru ME2 on PS3.

...What?

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2192 on: April 05, 2013, 03:28:51 am »
So I've been playing Quest for Glory 5 as the one class I haven't yet -- Fighter.

I've played it as a Paladin, Wizard, and Thief, all to great success, but I've been hesitant about playing the Fighter.

First of all, one thing you should know about Quest for Glory 5.  The combat system is terrible.  The pre-rendered backgrounds kill all depth perception you have.  You have two battle methods, the cheap kind and the involved kind.  Cheap kind is to left click repeatedly on the enemy, which makes the hero do his fast attack.  And then you just chug pills to eat the damage.

The involved kind involves switching to keyboard controls.  You use the arrow keys to move and turn.  F is a fast attack.  G is a strong attack.  D raises your shield to block attacks.  You can hold down CTRL to change how you move around a bit.

Yes, it's a pretty terrible battle system, because it's hard to tell where the enemy is, and you have to turn to face them, which can get troublesome because of taking damage.  However, this is probably the most fun I've had with physical combat in years.  Blocking attacks, trying to slip my blade in between their defenses, and so forth.  It's awesome.

That being said, all of this Fighter play is making me want to raise up a Paladin from Quest for Glory 3 onwards (since QFG3 is the earliest you can play one).  The two become very different in the fifth game, whereas in the third and fourth game, the Paladin is basically a Super Fighter with a better weapon, self-healing powers, and a passive defense ability, as well as a better plotline.

Ha...

One of the things that makes QFG5 so different between a Fighter and a Paladin is that, while the Paladin has the best weapon in the game (it's as strong as the Fighter's strongest sword, but it also gains an additional boost to damage from your Honor stat) the Paladin has an express desire to avoid unnecessary conflict (outside of random battles).  Two of their abilities are a superpowerful fear which sends all enemies fleeing (which results in a non-violent victory) and a superpowerful calm ability that essentially allows you to just walk past enemies no problem.  (Attacking an enemy that's calmed will cost you honor points, though.)

The Fighter, however, thrives in conflict.  Cerberus willing to let you pass through with a bribe of food?  Nope!  Stab him in his three faces.  The Queen of the Tritons is willing to listen to reason if you give her flowers?  Slaughter her guards instead and intimidate her into peace.  The Thief gets around the problem, the Wizard attacks the problem from multiple angles, the Paladin tries to resolve the problem with peace first, sword later, and the Fighter just outright murders the problem.

I love this game series.  It needed to be more than a cult classic :(
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #2193 on: April 05, 2013, 04:50:43 am »
Sid Meiers Pirates.  I love the chain shot.  A few blasts and the enemy surrenders.  I also a made a running joke of giving my ships silly names, like the Unicorn, Fuzzy Rabbit, and Bunny Lake.  I also defeated Blackbeard and took his ship, the Queen Ann's Revenge.  I renamed it the Hush Puppy.  I can pretty much drop and ship's sails in 1-2 shots.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2194 on: April 05, 2013, 10:05:23 am »
I was going to try to enjoy The Old Republic
As soon as I started they said that I can't get rest experience unless I subscribe

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #2195 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:40 pm »
I'm finally getting to play Monster Hunter Ultimate online today, after I get the tunnel set up on the Wii U. (I have to play on the 3DS)

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #2196 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:21 pm »
I was going to try to enjoy The Old Republic
As soon as I started they said that I can't get rest experience unless I subscribe

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Rest XP helps, but if you do all the quests on a planet, you'll still outlevel the planet.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Distind

« Reply #2197 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:34 am »
If there was anyone who wanted to play those old D&D games, gog's got all of them on sale
http://www.gog.com/promo/hasbro_stacking_weekend_promo_050413

20 bucks for the lot including some of the best RPGs ever. And I'm not the kind of person to say that lightly, they're good enough they make D&D rules enjoyable. Then theres... the rest. But frankly you get the last couple for less than 50 or 10 cents a piece, soo.... everything but dragonshard.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2198 on: April 07, 2013, 06:45:50 am »
Peter Moore had a response to EA being named "Worst Company in America"
(click to show/hide)

A few points.

1. Even if Always-On gaming isn't DRM, it's still completely stupid, especially since many gamers don't live in areas where the most stable of internet is an option.
2. If people really voted EA for "worst company" because some of their games give the option of a gay romance... well, let me put it this way.  They are entitled to their opinion, but their opinion is fucking stupid.
3. This letter reads like self-wank.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2199 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:10 am »
Peter Moore did make some good points in his post as well.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2200 on: April 07, 2013, 08:27:11 am »
While EA was uber anti consumer I still say BOA is far far more evil

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2201 on: April 07, 2013, 10:34:05 am »
That point about 45 Million Origin users is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure you HAVE to make an Origin account to play games like Mass Effect Trilogy.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #2202 on: April 07, 2013, 10:42:21 am »
That point about 45 Million Origin users is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure you HAVE to make an Origin account to play games like Mass Effect Trilogy.

THIS. I was forced to make an account to receive updates for my games. I didn't willingly sign up for that shit.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2203 on: April 07, 2013, 10:47:59 am »

That's the entire reason. Origin has absolutely zero advantages over Steam, and is frankly a terrible system. Not to mention that it (at least the early versions; they apparently removed it) actually added spyware to your computer. Literally the only reason anyone uses Origin is for games that force you to download it, or can only be digitally downloaded from Origin because EA pulled the games off Steam. Nerd Cubed covered the Origin platform in one of his vlogs/rants, and pointed out the inherent stupidity in trying to make more money by pulling your game from a distributor in the hopes of denying them a little cash.

By the way, I looked at some of the current Steam deals when I last logged in. They're bundling games and DLC/expansions together for the price of the base game simply for pre-ordering. Like if you pre-order Dead Island: Riptide, you get the game with DLC and the original Dead Island all for $60. I got Killing Floor for something like $4 a while back, and I logged in yesterday and suddenly found that I had a day left on a Red Orchestra 2 free trial that I didn't realize I got. I don't see Origin having as many deals and offers.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2204 on: April 07, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »
Daisy Fitroy can go rot in hell.

Ironbite-glad she got what's coming to her.