Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1506338 times)

Offline IanC

• Pope
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3150 on: August 18, 2013, 01:09:09 pm »
Well going by how some people act is the only game they made and the best series, like, ever.

Personally? I found the first game overrated, and couldn't get through it.

Now Dragon Age: Origins? Loved it. Never got Dragon Age 2 though, since they decided to change the combat system so much. Grr. And since EA are in my bad books, i probably wont be getting Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Oh well.

Grabbed Duck Tales Remastered from the eShop the moment it popped up for download. Love it, its really fun and pure nostalgia. Last level is hard as concrete though!

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3151 on: August 18, 2013, 01:39:58 pm »
Man, I wish my laptop would run GTA IV. The LAPD mod looks so fun.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #3152 on: August 18, 2013, 02:08:59 pm »
I think he's trying to communicate but he's missing all the right words for it.

But yes, absolutely. Mass Effect is the only game Bioware has made. Of course.
Why are you ignoring what I had underlined? Too verbose? A case by case basis needs to be established because there is a chain of command in place. A quick version:

Look at the structure and ask, “Who gives the marching orders to create content and who gives the approval?” To answer this question you have to move up the chain of command. This becomes more explicit when development teams are not consistent per game published, especially among different Intellectual Properties.

The Miranda Lawson ass shots, the mother-whore complex that was Jack in Mass Effect 2 was created by different persons than EDI's camel-toe in Mass Effect 3. Which group with the ability to approve content remains static across multiple games and who can give them marching orders?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:17:29 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3153 on: August 18, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
You were bitching about Miranda and Jack and apparently believe that those two characters only exist to attract the lowest common denominator. Is that what your point was? And that the higher ups in the corporation should have prevented that in particular in the game to get your approval?

Funny thing is that both of those characters are still strong female characters in the game. They have their flaws, Miranda has some complexes due to how she had been "built" and treated by her father and Jack had been broken by Cerberus and her life as a fugitive, but both characters grow as the games progress and I actually think they were well written.

You might have a point with the ass shots but those seem to be the par with much of media and they weren't that bad in the games. But I do hate the fact that apart from fem-shep and Williams none of the female team members wear an armour after ME1... Besides, despite not wearing a shirt in ME2 Jack still manages to be an actual character instead of some 2D sex object, which is more than you can say for many completely dressed female characters in games and movies.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3154 on: August 18, 2013, 02:39:01 pm »
I think he's trying to communicate but he's missing all the right words for it.

But yes, absolutely. Mass Effect is the only game Bioware has made. Of course.
Why are you ignoring what I had underlined? Too verbose? A case by case basis needs to be established because there is a chain of command in place. A quick version:

Look at the structure and ask, “Who gives the marching orders to create content and who gives the approval?” To answer this question you have to move up the chain of command. This becomes more explicit when development teams are not consistent per game published, especially among different Intellectual Properties.

The Miranda Lawson ass shots, the mother-whore complex that was Jack in Mass Effect 2 was created by different persons than EDI's camel-toe in Mass Effect 3. Which group with the ability to approve content remains static across multiple games and who can give them marching orders?

*sighs* You can't reply to what about the games by mentioning the demographic. Not to mention the fact that the people I refer to are either 1) not teenagers or 2) not male.  Then you decided to expand to gaming as a whole with wrong information. And then there's the shit below. If you have no desire to understand the fact that you are operating on stereotypes then I have no desire to continue this.

You were bitching about Miranda and Jack and apparently believe that those two characters only exist to attract the lowest common denominator. Is that what your point was? And that the higher ups in the corporation should have prevented that in particular in the game to get your approval?

Funny thing is that both of those characters are still strong female characters in the game. They have their flaws, Miranda has some complexes due to how she had been "built" and treated by her father and Jack had been broken by Cerberus and her life as a fugitive, but both characters grow as the games progress and I actually think they were well written.

You might have a point with the ass shots but those seem to be the par with much of media and they weren't that bad in the games. But I do hate the fact that apart from fem-shep and Williams none of the female team members wear an armour after ME1... Besides, despite not wearing a shirt in ME2 Jack still manages to be an actual character instead of some 2D sex object, which is more than you can say for many completely dressed female characters in games and movies.

One could also operate under the idea that the ass shots weren't meant to 100% titillate but were making a point about how Miranda Lawson uses her sexuality to disarm someone. You wouldn't expect a woman like Miranda to be a spy of sorts and fully capable of defending herself because all you see is the catsuit and the ass.

As for Jack, this is a woman who has grown up in a position where her body was not hers to do with what she liked. I think you may remember the fact she was kidnapped and tortured from the time she was a young child up until a few years before meeting Commander Shepard. Her dressing the way she does is a way of taking control of her body. Ditto with the tattoos. But the tattoos also do the job of covering up the scars. Scars she got by way of, oh yeah, the torture at the hands of Cerberus.

Also if these two characters were meant to appeal to the least common denominator then Bioware is a lot more stupid than I thought them to be. These are two characters who do not let you get close until you patiently work at getting to know them and getting past their walls. You don't get to have sex with Jack if you do the Paragon route. Instead you cuddle together. Renegade just confirms her beliefs about everyone in only wanting to use her and her body. So she shuts you out. Wow, what a wonderful sex icon. Wow, what a fucking whore. Oh, wait.

Miranda Lawson will insult you until you go past that defense. She will keep you out up until the point where you get to the love scene. And then she's still in control. She decides when and where, not you/Shepard. She decides if things continue. In Mass Effect 3, it's obvious she's not willing to just be a sex object. She will accept your response to not wanting to continue the relationship. She will cry and your heart will break but she will accept it. Why? Because she has respect for herself.

And then let us arrive to the other female companions since we're going this way. 1) Ash will not lie down and let you walk over her. 2) Tali is with you as far as she can be. She will believe in you when others will not. 3) Liara is the only one I really have a problem with. She lets you walk all over her. Her development is stunted if you don't romance her. She is pushed in your face at every turn.

TL;DR- don't try to assume about a character by what you see. That only confirms the idea that you didn't bother getting to know them.

Incidentally, the same arguments I've heard about Jack have been used about Zevran, from Dragon Age. The difference is, Zevran actually is a whore but also has a deeper personality and history than you might expect if you don't bother getting to know him.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:42:10 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3155 on: August 18, 2013, 02:53:39 pm »
I'm gonna wait on SR4 the biggest issue seems to be that yes you have cars and guns and planes but why use them you have superpowers

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3156 on: August 18, 2013, 02:54:57 pm »
...because it's fun to destroy things in vehicles and super powers doesn't always mean you can get from point A to point B quickly?

And to prevent double-posting, I found this:
http://concretization.tumblr.com/post/58598206358/things-i-learned-at-bioware-austin

A choice excerpt:
People blame “executive meddling” on a lot more than they should. So often we make decisions that the audience isn’t going to like, and then the audience says “Oh it must have been evil EA that forced poor innocent bioware to do that thing we didn’t want them to do.” EA didn’t force us to do shit we didn’t want to do. I have no special love for EA, but so much of the shit EA developers do comes from the teams and then gets shifted onto the oblivious and apathetic corporate overlords. It’s really quite unfair.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 03:31:16 pm by Booker DeWitt »

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #3157 on: August 19, 2013, 01:41:54 pm »
8. People blame “executive meddling” on a lot more than they should. So often we make decisions that the audience isn’t going to like, and then the audience says “Oh it must have been evil EA that forced poor innocent bioware to do that thing we didn’t want them to do.” EA didn’t force us to do shit we didn’t want to do. I have no special love for EA, but so much of the shit EA developers do comes from the teams and then gets shifted onto the oblivious and apathetic corporate overlords. It’s really quite unfair.
Is this serious? The publisher (EA) has three major powers over any owned game company: funding control, project control and approval. Don’t dance to their tune then no money for you! The multiple rounds of layoffs at Bioware Austin did not occur in vacuum. They also control when the project is done. This is not limited to EA either, look at what happened to both Knights of the Old Republic games! Heck an example of approval was provided by on the same blog!

3. You can’t really say games are top-down driven or bottom up driven They’re really a random mix of the two. The two aspects of any game most meddled with by executives are the female characters and the user interface. If you don’t want random millionaires emailing you all kinds of contradictory notes, don’t be the UI artist or modeler of the female character’s bodies.
Those marching orders are not coming from the Owner / Senior Management team, they are coming from the Publisher.

*sighs* You can't reply to what about the games by mentioning the demographic. Not to mention the fact that the people I refer to are either 1) not teenagers or 2) not male.
Who are these bad people you are referring to and what did they do? The threats against Hamburger Helper? I assume you are referring to that.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:53:53 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3158 on: August 19, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »
Is this serious? The publisher (EA) has three major powers over any owned game company: funding control, project control and approval. Don’t dance to their tune then no money for you! The multiple rounds of layoffs at Bioware Austin did not occur in vacuum. They also control when the project is done. This is not limited to EA either, look at what happened to both Knights of the Old Republic games! Heck an example of approval was provided by on the same blog!

I'm sorry, did you just respond to an actual statement from a person who works in the very position you're talking about by saying "Nuh-uh!"?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3159 on: August 19, 2013, 01:54:59 pm »
Developers are perfectly capable of fucking up all on their own.  We're not perfect, and expecting us to be is, quite frankly, moronic.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #3160 on: August 19, 2013, 01:59:41 pm »

I'm sorry, did you just respond to an actual statement from a person who works in the very position you're talking about by saying "Nuh-uh!"?
Nope, I responded by pointing out that how and why EA caused the layoffs that resulted in the loss of his job at Bioware Austin.

Developers are perfectly capable of fucking up all on their own.  We're not perfect, and expecting us to be is, quite frankly, moronic.
When a third party is exerting undue influence upon developers a judgment cannot and should not  be made.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:03:38 pm by The Illusive Man »

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3161 on: August 19, 2013, 02:02:53 pm »
8. People blame “executive meddling” on a lot more than they should. So often we make decisions that the audience isn’t going to like, and then the audience says “Oh it must have been evil EA that forced poor innocent bioware to do that thing we didn’t want them to do.” EA didn’t force us to do shit we didn’t want to do. I have no special love for EA, but so much of the shit EA developers do comes from the teams and then gets shifted onto the oblivious and apathetic corporate overlords. It’s really quite unfair.

3. You can’t really say games are top-down driven or bottom up driven They’re really a random mix of the two. The two aspects of any game most meddled with by executives are the female characters and the user interface. If you don’t want random millionaires emailing you all kinds of contradictory notes, don’t be the UI artist or modeler of the female character’s bodies.
Those marching orders are not coming from the Owner / Senior Management team, they are coming from the Publisher.

*sighs* You can't reply to what about the games by mentioning the demographic. Not to mention the fact that the people I refer to are either 1) not teenagers or 2) not male.
Who are these bad people you are referring to and what did they do? The threats against Hamburger Helper? I assume you are referring to that.

Oh for the love of-- yeah, I'm done. You're not listening. Everything goes in one ear and out the other and doesn't even make a single short pitstop at your brain.

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3162 on: August 19, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »
...Seriously, TIM, maybe you could try listening to other people sometime.  We know you like to see yourself speak, but seriously, you're making a name for yourself and it's not a very good name.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3163 on: August 19, 2013, 02:55:03 pm »
The more I see about Artemis bridge simulator the more I want it.

Unfortunately my current laptop is dying and would not run the game and I would still need four more computers and some extra screens and a projector to play the game.

Not to mention that I'd also need five more people to play it with.

That game is just the type of spaceship game I've always wanted. There are plenty of fighter simulators and fleet command games but having a game where you command a large ship from the captains perspective is rare. (Submarine simulators have a similar feeling but this particular game just seems to have so much more potential since you play with an entire bridge crew of your buddies.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3164 on: August 20, 2013, 03:21:27 pm »
I am still the undisputed god of the Minecraft server on which I play.  I was the first to not only nano armour, but the advanced nano armour, which acts as a 1,000,000 EU reserve pack for my electric tools AND has a built-in jetpack.  I killed the ender dragon by myself.  And, today, I killed not one, but FOUR withers in the span of less than 10 minutes.  As celebration, I made a portal gun, which requires a nether star to make.

Oh, I also made the server's first dip into nuclear power, using Big Reactors because THEY don't explode.  Yet.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.