Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510020 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3570 on: October 23, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »
Won a contest on GOG and so got Space Empires IV for free. It's supposed to be the best space 4X game in existence, even better than Master of Orion 2. So far, I'm terribly confused and quite certain that I'm playing it completely wrong. Hopefully I get my head around it at some point in the future.
I imagine a lot of gamers from my generation would say "That's WHY it's good - it's confusing and the game forces you to figure it out through trial and error!"

Not saying it's not good, but a lot of people have screwed up priorities on what IS good (the kinda people who think walking uphill both ways in the snow to school and back is "fun")

I wouldn't call it screwed up priorities so much as different tastes. If they have fun walking uphill in the snow, who cares? (if they don't have fun when they say they do, well, that's really their problem to deal with)
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3571 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:18 pm »
That would be one thing, but a lot of them insist that their definition of video gaming fun is THE definition of video gaming fun.

And that having fun simply playing a game means you're like a grandma playing farmville on facebook :/
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3572 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:24 pm »
That would be one thing, but a lot of them insist that their definition of video gaming fun is THE definition of video gaming fun.

And that having fun simply playing a game means you're like a grandma playing farmville on facebook :/
Let me guess. Skyrim forums related drama yet again?

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3573 on: October 23, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »
I'm in the middle of a pointless argument about who would win in a fight between Commander Shepard and Master Chief. I'm pretty sure Shepard would win (because come on, it's Commander freaking Shepard) but he says Master Chief would kick his/her ass.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3574 on: October 23, 2013, 11:11:11 pm »
I would say it would be a tie since bolth of them are badass.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3575 on: October 23, 2013, 11:20:19 pm »
I guess it would depend on Shepherd's build and level.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3576 on: October 24, 2013, 12:33:45 am »

Let me guess. Skyrim forums related drama yet again?

Actually, Legend of Zelda.

I'm in the middle of a pointless argument about who would win in a fight between Commander Shepard and Master Chief. I'm pretty sure Shepard would win (because come on, it's Commander freaking Shepard) but he says Master Chief would kick his/her ass.

Biotic Shepard would just use Lift to send Master Chief into the stratosphere.  Then Master Chief gets to experience what it feels like to be hit in the face with a planet.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3577 on: October 24, 2013, 01:07:15 am »
They're both modified but Shepard's modifications are better. Chief might have height on Shepard (depending on your head canons for your Shepard) but that means Shepard has an advantage where center of gravity is concerned. Not to mention the fact that Shepard's arsenal is a lot better than Chief's. Chief doesn't have a handheld nuclear device, now does he? (Also Shepard has rank over Chief and Shepard could just order Chief to stand down. You decide if I'm kidding or not.)

With that said, it's like arguing if Super Saiyan Goku can beat Superman. Any given Sunday plays into it more than you might think.

Speaking of drama, people are still being idiots over ME3's ending. A couple people I follow got hate mail for using the MEHEM (Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod) and posting about it. So um. Yeah. It's been over a year people get over it.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3578 on: October 24, 2013, 02:39:08 am »
Biotic Shepard would just use Lift to send Master Chief into the stratosphere.  Then Master Chief gets to experience what it feels like to be hit in the face with a planet.

He already did that and survived with essentially zero damage. Remember the opening of Halo 3?

I'd vote for the Master Chief. Out of his suit he's equal or superior to Shepard in strength, speed, and reaction time (remember, all the SPARTAN IIs were augmented to superhuman levels to allow them to survive using the MJOLNIR armor, and it's stated in The Fall of Reach that their reflexes are literally too fast to clock; the same novel had the Chief beating several of the USMC's equivalent to paratroopers with his bare hands until at least one was dead and all of the others were in traction.....as a teenager), but he exclusively fights in power armor that increases his strength until he can literally punch through light armored plating and increases his speed and reflexes just as much. Plus the actual protective capability of the armor, which includes energy shields equal to or superior to Shepard's shielding.

Shepard may be a badass, but the Master Chief has taken on a fighter jet unarmed in the first novel and won. He literally slapped an incoming anti-tank missile out of the air. Shepard simply can't compete. Not unless he/she gets MJOLNIR armor.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:42:05 am by chitoryu12 »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3579 on: October 24, 2013, 02:41:39 am »
Well, that depends on whether Shepard is alone or not. If he has some teammates (say, Tali to hack Chief's armor and Wrex to match Chief in strength) I'd vote for the commander.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3580 on: October 24, 2013, 02:43:25 am »
Well, that depends on whether Shepard is alone or not. If he has some teammates (say, Tali to hack Chief's armor and Wrex to match Chief in strength) I'd vote for the commander.

Then it's not a fair fight. Shepard vs. Master Chief doesn't mean "Shepard and whatever teammates he wants to bring vs. Master Chief." Giving one fighter that much advantage is implying that they would lose otherwise.

If Shepard gets to bring in his team, the Master Chief gets to bring in more SPARTANs.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3581 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:27 am »

He already did that and survived with essentially zero damage. Remember the opening of Halo 3?

Nope.  Never played any of the Halo games, except a little bit of the first on someone's X-Box.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3582 on: October 24, 2013, 06:08:30 am »

I misread that as Master Chef, and pictured Gordan Ramsay screaming at Commander Shepard.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3583 on: October 24, 2013, 08:04:47 am »
You donkey
So I got dream day wedding bella italia

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3584 on: October 24, 2013, 08:40:11 am »

I misread that as Master Chef, and pictured Gordan Ramsay screaming at Commander Shepard.

If it's my Shepard she'd just scream right back. And possibly shoot him. Oops.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!