Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511200 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3795 on: December 01, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
Okay, this might sound a bit "Duh?" but...

Are there any MMORPGs that are good for socializing?

It just seems lately that people in MMOs are concerned more about power-gaming and min-maxing their gear and characters, to the point where people are forced to adopt this mindset just to catch up with other people.

I just want an MMORPG where I can actually socialize naturally instead of having to hop in a party, rush through the quest, wham bam thank you ma'am.

Though I do want it to be an actual game, not just a life simulator.

I guess I'm asking for an oxymoron, huh?

Guild Wars 2 is the closest to your ideal, methinks.  The gameplay style itself leads to large-scale cooperation, even when players aren't in parties...those are mostly for story quests and dungeons, as well as unit coordination for particularly large events, as you're aware of your party members' locations, even if they're on the opposite side of the world from you.

Alrighty, sounds great.  Now I just need to find the fifty bucks to buy the game.

At least there's no monthly fees...

Does Guild Wars 2 have much to offer for people who are not fans of PVP, though?

If you ask me, it offers more for PvE players than it does PvP.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3796 on: December 01, 2013, 08:31:41 pm »
...You do realize Tali and Jack are the same age, right?

They're both 25 by the time of ME3.

Miranda Lawson is 4 years older than Shepard, who is 32 at the time of ME3. Making Miranda 36 (same as Kaidan I think). Ash is 28. Kasumi is 26.

An unusual amount of your squad is made up of (by military standards) youths.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3797 on: December 01, 2013, 09:10:31 pm »
Not really... The military right now in most countries is made up of 'youths' (if you define them as under 30). It's been like that throughout history. We just happen to see a lot of shows and movies with older guys doing the fighting rather than the old sending the young off to fight the battles and wars.

War never changes.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3798 on: December 01, 2013, 09:17:08 pm »
Not really... The military right now in most countries is made up of 'youths' (if you define them as under 30). It's been like that throughout history. We just happen to see a lot of shows and movies with older guys doing the fighting rather than the old sending the young off to fight the battles and wars.

War never changes.

The military, yes. Not commandos sent on practically suicide missions to save humanity.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3799 on: December 01, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »
If you say so. The average age of someone being tapped for special forces is 22. I don't find it hard to believe, considering the history of the special forces and the fact that the average ages are usually under 32 no matter what type of SF you're looking at. Even if you take into account the different maturation levels for each species.

And the thing is that they aren't commandos on the Normandy. The only one you might call a commando would be Shepard. Everyone else proved themselves capable such as Ash (who was just a regular ol' Marine).

Look at them like they're the Avengers. *shrugs*

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3800 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:02 am »
I'd like to add that, while much of the crew is quite young, it's by no means a middle-school field trip. Mordin is nearing the end of his natural lifespan, Miranda is implied (or stated - I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up) to be significantly older than she looks (blah blah genetic perfection blah blah), and Samara is at least several centuries old. While we're on the subject, is it just me or does anyone else wonder why quarian, volus, hanar, and elcor lifespans aren't discussed? Every other species gets a line in the Codex about how long they live compared to other species, but not those three. I can understand ignoring the "background" races, because they don't affect much, but the quarians are a much bigger deal. I'd guess they have slightly shorter lifespans than humans and turians, but a canon number would be nice.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3801 on: December 02, 2013, 03:15:10 am »
From what I know it's similar to human's lifespans, if not a little shorter. Their life expectancy on the other hand...

Miranda is officially older than Shepard, so. There's that.

Yes, some of them are young but they've been in the business of surviving and killing for a long while in the cases of Jack and Ash.

And we can also see how Liara, while having the longest lifespan next to Grunt and Samara and Wrex, is still in the same young mindset as a young adult. But still very much capable besides that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:17:28 am by Booker DeWitt »

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3802 on: December 02, 2013, 04:01:39 am »
Liara is all kinds of adorbs.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3803 on: December 02, 2013, 07:48:13 am »
A Link Between Worlds is awesome.

(sorry, just wanted to break up the Mass Effect love in)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #3804 on: December 02, 2013, 03:01:01 pm »
She is, isn't she? My favorite moment has to be either the conversation in the first game where she's got a huuuuuuge crush on Shep and keeps putting her foot in her mouth, or the part early in 3 where she talks about how she crashed the SB ship into the Illusive Man's forces. I'm prabably going to get some hate for this, but I don't care: Liara is cuter than Kasumi and at least as cute as Tali, IMHO.
(I know, right? Sassy!Link is best Link.)
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3805 on: December 02, 2013, 06:10:22 pm »
I just wish Liara had more character development outside of Shepard's influence.

&

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #3806 on: December 02, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »
I just wish Liara had more character development outside of Shepard's influence.
I don't mind that as much as the out-of-left-field buddy-buddy thing she had with Wrex in 3. My headcanon is that she meant to be sarcastic at least some of the time, but can't convey it die to lingering lack of social skills. (Yes, I know Liara knows how to be sarcastic, but I'm happy in my delusion.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3807 on: December 02, 2013, 08:42:00 pm »
It wouldn't have looked out of left field if she had had more character development outside of Shepard. lmfao

&

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3808 on: December 02, 2013, 08:45:50 pm »
Two things I don't like about Mass Effect 1:

1. Beginning fatigue.  The opposite of ending fatigue.  There's so much that happens at the beginning of the game, you can't skip cutscenes, and you can't just run through it because you miss stuff that's helpful at the beginning, as well as character development for Shepard.

2. FUCKING THRESHER MAWS GAWDS.  I don't mind that they can kill your tank in one melee hit.  I don't mind that they hide out in various planets.  I HATE THAT THEY GIVE ME A FUCKING HEART ATTACK EVERY TIME I FIND ONE GAAAWRGH.

If I die of a heart attack, sue BioWare on my behalf, k?  Because there's a 95% chance that it'll be because of a fucking Thresher Maw.

I look forward to killing their sorry asses with Grunt in ME2 because FUCK THEM IN ME1!!!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3809 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:02 pm »
Just finished Myst. Actually pretty easy, all things considered, though the story is brilliant. Also, once you know how to do I think three crucial puzzles, you can finish the entire game in less than five minutes.