Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1509212 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4035 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:29 pm »
I think that's because you're open-minded, whereas most "haters" I've met tend to be VERY close-minded.

I'm genuinely quite pleased by that compliment :D

But yeah, the interwebs is full of very closed minded people.  The worst kind for me are the people who can't differentiate between their personal tastes and actual quality.  If they don't like something then it's just totally shit, they seem incapable of entertaining the idea that it just doesn't appeal to them personally but there's nothing particularly wrong with it..  And covnersly if they like soemthing it must be comepletley awesome and 100% perfect, again they seem incapable of entertaining the mere possibility that it's not that great really, there's just something about it that appeals to something about them.

If I spend too much time on the web, especially in video game forums or any page with a comments section, it starts to feel like I'm the only person left who can tell the difference and who can acknowledge that some of the things I like are actually kind of crap and that some of the things I don't like are actually quite good. It drives me crazy sometimes.  Luckily I know enough sensible people in real life to keep me sane.

I need to stop reading comments sections and video game forums lol.  You'd think over the last 10+ years I'd have learned, but nope.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:32:29 pm by Katsuro »

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4036 on: January 08, 2014, 07:15:10 pm »
BTW, anyone seen the Alien: Isolation gameplay videos?  Looks interesting, and it reminds me of Amnesia.  But the disaster that was Rome II, the developer's last game, has me concerned.

Yeah, I posted it a page or so back. I loved it, but I'm trying to control my hype level, as the last time everyone got their hopes up for a Alien game, everyone ended up incredibly dissapointed. (I haven't actually played Aliens: Colonial Marines, but I've seen let's plays and it didn't exactly look up to snuff)

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4037 on: January 08, 2014, 09:21:41 pm »
Has anybody had any experience with day z standalone yet. I might get it sometime, but 30 bucks for what seems to be the alpha of alphas is a bit much
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4038 on: January 08, 2014, 09:30:03 pm »
BEHOLD! I.M. Meen! Its Doom meets edutainment with a side of WTF.

Once upon a time there was a flaming bisexual evil wizard named Ignatius Mortimer Meen who had a fetish for fanfiction, dungeons, children and midgets. He built a magical labyrinth and filled it with trolls, Nazis, crimes against nature, all of his fanficion and kidnapped children. Are you a bad enough 13 year old to save the children and escape with your anus intact?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6SaoHN1zI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf6SaoHN1zI</a>

This game spawned too many Youtube poops due to deranged animation and one good remix. There was a sequel which was a Rule 63 version of the original.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBMbPIdL8c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvBMbPIdL8c</a>

Also I.M.Meen dry humps a chair.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqOO0cMldY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqOO0cMldY</a>
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4039 on: January 08, 2014, 09:41:09 pm »
Holy crap, that's the same animation and art style that the Zelda CD-i games used.

Except... admittedly better.  Seems like the artists were actually able to take their time with that one.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4040 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:31 pm »
BUTTWORM
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4041 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:05 pm »
Once upon a time there was a flaming bisexual evil wizard named Ignatius Mortimer Meen who had a fetish for fanfiction, dungeons, children and midgets. He built a magical labyrinth and filled it with trolls, Nazis, crimes against nature, all of his fanficion and kidnapped children. Are you a bad enough 13 year old to save the children and escape with your anus intact?

>Ripping shit out of the Encyclopaedia Dramatic

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #4042 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:39 pm »
>Ripping shit out of the Encyclopaedia Dramatic

There is no article for I.M.Meem yet.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4043 on: January 08, 2014, 10:37:50 pm »
Good. Now a bunch of kids who are new to the internet won't spew shit chunks of something that's become discredited to a forum I left about nearly two years ago (whose denizens discovered that game) to continue its legacy. In other words, it's a dead horse now.

Even worse, making a post that sounded like it was ripped from that site, with potholes that lead to pages there.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
« Reply #4044 on: January 08, 2014, 10:43:54 pm »
Good. Now a bunch of kids who are new to the internet won't spew shit chunks of something that's become discredited to a forum I left about nearly two years ago (whose denizens discovered that game) to continue its legacy. In other words, it's a dead horse now.

Even worse, making a post that sounded like it was ripped from that site, with potholes that lead to pages there.
Are you getting mad over this? It’s for giggles.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4045 on: January 08, 2014, 10:47:50 pm »
Yeah, Encyclopedia Dramatica kinda stopped being funny a long time ago when it became populated by a bunch of wannabe trolls who sit around, laugh at their own jokes, and enjoy making shit up about people as a pastime.  After all, who would ever bother checking?  Gossip is totally harmless yo.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4046 on: January 09, 2014, 04:47:28 am »
Has anybody had any experience with day z standalone yet. I might get it sometime, but 30 bucks for what seems to be the alpha of alphas is a bit much

I think it's worth it.  It's got a few bugs and it's a bit "wonkey" in certain parts but despite that it's still enjoyable (and some of those bugs I've heard were in the original mod).  But by paying for the alpha you are contributing to paying for the development, you just have to be aware of what you're getting into and be sure you're okay with that.  I think of it as kind of like contributing to the funding of a kickstarter campaign, only I've got something to play as soon as I donate my money.

Also with early access you'll be more familiar with the game than the newbies when the finished game drops, which will give you an advantage over a lot of the other players (for a while anyway).

But if you're not prepared to put up with the expected issues of playing an alpha then obviously its not worth it.  Unless you just want to "donate" to help make sure the game actually gets finished.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4047 on: January 09, 2014, 04:55:37 am »
Yeah im thinking about getting it. But right now i just wanna wait for some glitch updates and optimization before purchasing.

Plus the dev team is like...10 guys, and its going to take over a year for it to hit beta
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4048 on: January 09, 2014, 05:11:24 am »
Yeah im thinking about getting it. But right now i just wanna wait for some glitch updates and optimization before purchasing.

Plus the dev team is like...10 guys, and its going to take over a year for it to hit beta

Yeah they've said the beta won't be until at least a year away.  But the release of the alpha was late, so I wouldn't be suprised if the beta and final game miss their deadlines too.

Most of the bugs I've encountered are more amusing than aggrevating.  Things like rabbits sound like zombies, melee weapons sound like guns, zombies with half their body in the floor of a house etc.  The only annoying one that's happened to me is I lost my camo baseball cap when I tried on a different hat to see if I liked it better or not (I didn't like it better).  Normally the item you were wearing drops to the floor and you can pick it up again, but my camo cap just vanished into thin air never to be seen again.  I was genuinely quite pissed off. I was quite pleased at finding a camo item of clothing so early on, in a residential area too.  I miss my cap :(

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4049 on: January 10, 2014, 05:22:30 am »
I started and finished the Wolf Among Us in about five hours. I'm still screaming cause I should've seen the ending coming from a mile away.

Regardless, y'all should play if you like point and click and QTEs up the wazoo.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!