Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1510712 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4065 on: January 14, 2014, 03:50:34 pm »
i've only played the demos, so I don't know what the full games are like, but what I thought of the demos was:

1st demo - awesome.
2nd demo - awesome.
3rd demo - this kinda sucks.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4066 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:40 pm »
Ah yes, that infamous thing.

That's just a cheap shot :P Startling isn't the same thing as scaring, to be honest....

Though being scared makes you easier to be startled.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4067 on: January 14, 2014, 06:29:40 pm »
I don't know.  I loved the second game.  I jumped a number of times, and still do when I play it, especially at the
(click to show/hide)
!

That's just a bit of a scary part in an otherwise scary game.  And then in 3 when they gave you a partner all attempts at horror just fly right out the damn window.

Ironbite-seriously it's not scary when you've got another guy who can stomp on the things just as well as you can.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4068 on: January 14, 2014, 06:40:36 pm »
I loved all the dead space games. The horror sort of went to shit but i still thought they were fucking fun.

Except the boss in that big snowy cargo area in 3. That was the biggest bitch
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4069 on: January 14, 2014, 06:51:06 pm »
Oh yeah they're still fun games.  But horror scary?

Ironbite-not a bit.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4070 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:44 pm »
One of my favourite bits in dead space was when you entered the nursery. It tried to be unnerving but it just got funny when you decapitated babies and threw their exploding bodies at enemies
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4071 on: January 14, 2014, 07:24:31 pm »
OH MY GOD YES!

Ironbite-only in Silent Hill are babies scary.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4072 on: January 14, 2014, 07:38:49 pm »
It's very difficult to make me actually scared in a horror game. Amnesia accomplished it. Dead Space? Not really.

And no, I don't consider jump scares "scary". You could have any image with any loud sound and it'll make you jump. It's a cheap shot, like when you fake punching someone in middle school and go "Made ya flinch!"
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4073 on: January 14, 2014, 07:40:41 pm »
The only time i will tolerate watching those gay little LP's is Amnesia. It entertains me to watch people scream

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4074 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
To me, good horror is being in a setting where you're scared to do much of anything, simply because of the environment that's been established. Each step you take, you frantically glance around to see if anything is about to attack you, or even just watching you. You catch a glimpse of something in the distance that further startles you. Just a rat? Or was that another creature...?

Anyway, that's what I like in a horror game.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:20:02 pm by Sleepy »
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4075 on: January 14, 2014, 08:25:50 pm »
That's why I liked Amnesia. It has far fewer cheap pop scares than a lot of bad horror games, and mainly relies on its atmosphere to keep things going.

I legitimately did not find Amnesia scary when watching LPs of it. But there's something distinctly different when you play it for yourself, without a quirky Canadian guy babbling in your ear the whole time. Even just seeing the first enemy in the game standing 20 yards away looking away from me was enough to send me into a panic, because the atmosphere built up to that one moment gradually for what must have been close to an hour.....but it's not a traditional release. Instead of building up to a sudden reveal, it builds up and maintains a high tension for ages and ensures that nothing actually threatening happens. When the first enemy shows up, there's no dramatic chord as you open the door and he doesn't leap from a closet directly in your face. You just open a door and start to head out and he's standing there off in the distance like he was always there. It's legitimately surprising, because there's no way to predict it happening and it's not a cheap jump scare.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4076 on: January 14, 2014, 08:36:59 pm »
To me, good horror is being in a setting where you're scared to do much of anything, simply because of the environment that's been established. Each step you take, you frantically glance around to see if anything is about to attack you, or even just watching you. You catch a glimpse of something in the distance that further startles you. Just a rat? Or was that another creature...?

Anyway, that's what I like in a horror game.

Amnesia did it perfectly. I could only play it in 15 minute bursts because i was simply too scared to move in it

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #4077 on: January 14, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »
It's the Silent Hill 2 factor really.  Japan really does horror good because it's not about the jumping monsters or gore it's about the feeling you get.  That feeling that there's something out there that wants you dead but could care less where you are.  Just that it's going to get you and it'll be brutal but its off doing it's own thing.  Just thinking about it gets me going.

Ironbite-and I hate horror games.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #4078 on: January 15, 2014, 06:33:23 am »
I now have radio station mods for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And I plan on implementing one of those big-ass add a bunch of shit to the game mods after I finish this playthru of New Vegas. (It's the World of Pain mod)

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4079 on: January 15, 2014, 10:47:52 am »
I now have radio station mods for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. And I plan on implementing one of those big-ass add a bunch of shit to the game mods after I finish this playthru of New Vegas. (It's the World of Pain mod)

I've used that one for a spell. It really does add a ton of content, more than you'll probably ever finish (hell, I'm not sure how many people have even found everything in the base game; I'm still discovering new quests and locations). Only real flaw is that as far as I can see, none of the added NPCs have voice acting. Also, keep in mind that it's not necessarily meant for new characters even though there's a new location along the road out of Goodsprings that seems tailor-made for your quests; you may want to earn one or two more levels than usual before starting on it.