Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1505608 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4125 on: January 22, 2014, 09:09:18 pm »
Fair enough.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4126 on: January 22, 2014, 09:18:00 pm »
Um, what? Sure, they have a few good games. They've also gotten really, really stale. And to say that ALL of their first-party games are that good is just hilarious. Fanboy much? Pretty much any Mario game is painful to play now because of how repetitive it's gotten. You can only rehash something so many times before people start rightfully complaining about it being the same old nonsense. God forbid they do much of anything unique.
Nintendo used to be fantastic, but boy have times changed. Their first party titles seem dedicated to simply coasting on nostalgia, and, well, the less said about their main consoles, the better. Come to think of it, when did they last create a brand new first party IP? Must've been Wii-fit back in 2008 or whenever it was. That just says it all, really.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4127 on: January 22, 2014, 09:34:00 pm »
Might want to speak for yourself.

I still enjoy Mario games, even if they are repetitive.  Because they are repeatedly fun.

If they don't want to buy the new nintendo console for the few games they want, then they can simply do without those few games.  If they really want the games that badly, they can invest in the console.

Regardless of whether you enjoy the games, Nintendo is expecting these franchises to help carry their newest console to great success, and it's not working. If they would do something to improve their situation, whether it's changing their hardware to encourage third party development or using some creativity to spark better characters and more games, then more people would see the console as a worthy investment. Fewer people would have the dilemma of purchasing it just for Zelda or Mario.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4128 on: January 22, 2014, 09:58:24 pm »
I will agree that the Wii U is doing poorly and needs help in that department.  (But I'm not giving up on it yet.)

On the other hand, the 3DS seems to be doing fantastically so... at least something is working right.

Meanwhile, at least to me, PS4 has become "So generic it's meh" and the less said about the Xbone the better.

Actually, aside from the 3DS, this current gen of consoles just seems to be pretty meh all around.

I mean, really, the only game I want on the PS4 will be Kingdom Hearts 3 and... well... I'll probably be getting a PS4 around the time the PS6 comes out.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4129 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:05 pm »
Their continued success in the handheld market makes me think that Nintendo is more likely to switch to making only handhelds long before they go third party. And though I do want to get a Wii U when finances allow it, I wouldn't mind that too much since they've made phenomenal handhelds since they started.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4130 on: January 22, 2014, 10:08:25 pm »
I don't buy a console until there are plenty of games I want to play on it. Prices are usually too steep upon release, and there are plenty of bugs to be worked out, anyway. I only paid $160 for my 360, and I'm quite happy with that.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4131 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:54 pm »
I want a Wii U, too.  Just when it's cheaper.

Never buy a console full-price, after all.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4132 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:08 pm »
Well i dont think i can play civ 5. Its pretty good, but it raises my gpu to 90c which is absolutely terrifying
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4133 on: January 22, 2014, 10:36:44 pm »
Well i dont think i can play civ 5. Its pretty good, but it raises my gpu to 90c which is absolutely terrifying

GEEZ.  And here I thought the old laptop's tendency to overheat at a dragon so much as sneezing was terrible.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4134 on: January 22, 2014, 10:59:21 pm »
My laptop overheats and crashes randomly

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4135 on: January 22, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »

GEEZ.  And here I thought the old laptop's tendency to overheat at a dragon so much as sneezing was terrible.

Its actually a big problem, google "civ 5 overheat"
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4136 on: January 22, 2014, 11:32:15 pm »

Its actually a big problem, google "civ 5 overheat"

I trust you on this, actually.

I imagine trying to run that game on my old laptop would end with me having a molten pile of silicone.

EDIT:

So, I beat the normal quest of Ocarina of Time 3D today.  That was fun.

However, when I beat the Shadow Temple, I realized something.

BONGO BONGO IS A FREAKING TORSO WITH OUTRIGHT SEVERED ARMS AND DISEMBODIED HANDS.

I could never tell what the "main part" of him was before seeing him in the 3DS game, and holy shit, that makes him ACTUALLY CREEPY.  I mean, that's a creepier character design than Anima from Final Fantasy X.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 01:08:55 am by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4137 on: January 25, 2014, 06:37:00 am »
The multiplayer on arma 3 is awesome. If only it didnt run like shit. I even like the community on there, ive only met two frequent teamkillers and no actual cockbags. Im pleasantly surprised.

Also i cant play civ 5. The skyrocketing temperature is just scary, didnt make a single celcius difference when i lowered all of the settings from high to medium

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4138 on: January 25, 2014, 01:23:32 pm »
I love my Wii U. And I think if Nintendo did ever leave the gang market (unlikely since the 3DS is doing fine) then I think gaming will be a lot poorer for it.

In other news, call me slow, but i just completed episode 1 of The Walking Dead season 1. Wow.

Also LEGO Marvel Superheroes. Which is fun.

Oh and I got a trophy called Really? for unlocking Howard the Duck. HOWARD THE DUCK. Hah!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4139 on: January 25, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »
At this point, the only thing that could get me to buy a Wii U is a new Metroid game, preferably not made by Team Ninja.