Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1511727 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4575 on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:29 pm »
PFFT HAAAAA

What the fuck is that!? Hahahahaha!
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4576 on: June 25, 2014, 01:53:16 am »
I have been gone from GOG.org for so long and - They uploaded Theme Park to the site, and I have overlooked such news so long ago? Praise them, because for the life of me I could never get that game set up (properly) on DOSbox when Abandonia still had that game to download. Now I can finally enjoy my Neanderthal Roller Coaster Tycoon, because I miss that game so much.

Yes, I lost patience when I tried long ago.

Oh, with the Summer Sale on that site, I brought the remaining three games in the Bullfrog library (including Magic Carpet 2 and Syndicate Wars) for just $0.89 each.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4577 on: June 25, 2014, 06:17:17 am »
I have been gone from GOG.org for so long and - They uploaded Theme Park to the site, and I have overlooked such news so long ago? Praise them, because for the life of me I could never get that game set up (properly) on DOSbox when Abandonia still had that game to download. Now I can finally enjoy my Neanderthal Roller Coaster Tycoon, because I miss that game so much.

Oh, with the Summer Sale on that site, I brought the remaining three games in the Bullfrog library (including Magic Carpet 2 and Syndicate Wars) for just $0.89 each.

I remember Theme Park.  Charging $50 for fat-filled burgers and $20 for salt-filled fries, only to be told I should consider raising my prices. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #4578 on: June 25, 2014, 07:03:35 am »

I remember Theme Park.  Charging $50 for fat-filled burgers and $20 for salt-filled fries, only to be told I should consider raising my prices.

One of the funniest things I've ever witnessed in a game was when my sister was playing Theme Park on the Sega Saturn and the staff demanded a pay rise.  Somehow during the little negotiation mini-game thing she actually managed to get them to agree to a pay cut.

Probably doesn't sound that funny (especially the way I've told it) but it was one of those things in games where the idea of it  happening in real life are rather amusing.  I just loved the thought of a real life situation where angry staff threatening to strike over demands for a pay increase would then agree to a pay cut.

Also even just the fact that the game's devs intentionally programmed the game so that was possible kind of amuses me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:05:53 am by Katsuro »

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4579 on: June 25, 2014, 07:08:42 am »
That stuff Is funny, at least to me.  Reminds me of Civilization IV when Montazuma contacted me, begging me for help after a neighboring civ expanded, cutting off his borders and also cutting off his food.  I looked at my resources and, following my recent expansion *cough*, I was gaining about 10 fish per turn.  I looked at Monty's and he was gaining 10 gold per turn.  Deciding to try the smart *** approach first, I offered him 1 fish for 10 gold every turn.  He happliy.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4580 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:12 am »
In payday, once you buy a mod, it goes in your inventory. But if you remove it, you hsve to pay the same price to reattach.

What the fuck
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4581 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:41 pm »
So, I got Delver on steam for 2e. for an early access game, it's pretty cool. to put it simply, it's a rougelike in the style of Ultima Underworld, with Minecraft-style graphics. well worth the buy.

Also, I've got a free code for Might and Magic VI if anyone wants it. catch is, it's for uplay :S I really shouldn't be buying ubisoft games, but I saw the deluxe edition of Might and Magic X at the shop for 20e and I couldn't resist (big fan of the franchise, and was looking forward to getting this new installment eventually)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #4582 on: June 25, 2014, 08:48:30 pm »
In payday, once you buy a mod, it goes in your inventory. But if you remove it, you hsve to pay the same price to reattach.

What the fuck

All the Gage mod pack mods are free to install, so I use the all the time. All my guns have scopes and lasers, and I still have a large pile of various holo sights and scopes laying around that I have from completing the mod collection things so many times.

It also helps that back when I was a noob and hacking prevention was less that it was now, a hacker joined in on our game of Rats and on the last section made it literally rain the most valuable single piece of loot (Turret parts from the train heist in the transport DLC) and we were able to load about 100 of them in to the waiting chopper sine there isn''t a a limit programmed in to stop it registering the loaded loot, even if the in game chopper appears full of bags. After a while we got tired and went to the exit point. We ended up with over 15 mil in spending cash and whatever the corresponding portion of offshore money is.

I don't cheat myself, but I might be willing to turn a blind eye occasionally. It is a game about stealing shit anyway...

Edit: You could make a fair bit of money early on if you manage to find some higher levels that let you tag along on an Overkill or Deathwish mission. You also level up like crazy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:50:19 pm by MadCatTLX »
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4583 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:40 pm »
Also one of the DLC gives you the ability to switch between single fire and full auto

Im sorry but why is NO ONE PISSED ABOUT THAT
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4584 on: June 25, 2014, 09:41:36 pm »
... I guess I'm weird with my firearms in games.  It's single shot or burst fire.  No need for full auto.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4585 on: June 25, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
... I guess I'm weird with my firearms in games.  It's single shot or burst fire.  No need for full auto.

I keep it on full auto because I have enough trigger control to decide how many rounds I fire. Slower guns, I can shoot one or two shots. Even on faster ones I can fire 3 or 4-round bursts with my own discipline. It's much the same in real life for me, both airsoft and real steel weapons. I like having the option for full auto mag dumps for suppression.

Specific burst fire settings are often not that good in real life, in fact; the M16 uses a mechanical limiter that only resets after 3 rounds are fired, so you can fire 2 shots and the next time you pull the trigger you only get 1 shot. Either stick to semi-auto or teach your soldiers how to not panic and spray fire.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4586 on: June 26, 2014, 01:09:23 pm »
That's a rum deal for you, dude, but we're not talking about real or even fake guns.  Most people don't even know what "trigger discipline" means, and most gamers have zero experience with firearms.  Having to purchase (or at least download) a pack just to allow you to switch between firing modes is idiotic at best, and a blatant cash grab at worst.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4587 on: June 26, 2014, 03:06:38 pm »
I like any weapon capable of firing a lot of rounds very rapidly, generally because unless I'm sniping my accuracy is gonna be shit.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4588 on: June 26, 2014, 03:32:03 pm »
I like any weapon capable of firing a lot of rounds very rapidly, generally because unless I'm sniping my accuracy is gonna be shit.
Funnily enough, in real world there are studies that have shown that when you increase rate of fire accuracy goes up. And then when the ROF goes too high accuracy drops BUT if you keep increasing ROF even further this will make accuracy rise again...

Basically the rate of fire and accuracy have a connection that kinda goes up and down and there are a few sweet spots.

EDIT: OF course the design of the weapon also has an effect. AK design for example has a nasty way of shaking and bouncing when firing fully automatic due to the way weight is distributed in the moving parts.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:33:53 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4589 on: June 27, 2014, 12:59:07 pm »
Funnily enough, in real world there are studies that have shown that when you increase rate of fire accuracy goes up. And then when the ROF goes too high accuracy drops BUT if you keep increasing ROF even further this will make accuracy rise again...

Basically the rate of fire and accuracy have a connection that kinda goes up and down and there are a few sweet spots.

EDIT: OF course the design of the weapon also has an effect. AK design for example has a nasty way of shaking and bouncing when firing fully automatic due to the way weight is distributed in the moving parts.
I've read about those studies myself.