Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1506984 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4965 on: October 01, 2014, 03:12:26 am »
Dude, all the individual heros you play in WoW?  They're all identical units in Warcraft.  Each and every one of them.  That's it.  You could set the WoS say after the Queen of Blades arrives and the Zerg hive mind starts to splinter or....you just play a fucking Zergling.

Ironbite-it's not that hard.

...Dude.

Where in Warcraft does it say that the units have no mind of their own and that they are all identical in appearance? I know that is how they look like in the game but that is simply because each unit only has one model and one voice. (OR in the case of WC1 each army only has one voice.) But I have the impression that this is just gameplay/story segregation for a strategy game. Because making a separate voice and model for each and every unit would take too much resources.

Zerg on the other hand are said to have a hivemind. The manuals, comics and novels are quite clear on that. Once a brood is beyond the control of the hivemind they become a horde of rampaging beasts as was seen in the Zerg and Protoss campaigns.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4966 on: October 01, 2014, 03:38:53 am »
They fixed it for zombies, they can fix it for zerg.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4967 on: October 01, 2014, 04:57:03 am »
Dude, all the individual heros you play in WoW?  They're all identical units in Warcraft.  Each and every one of them.  That's it.  You could set the WoS say after the Queen of Blades arrives and the Zerg hive mind starts to splinter or....you just play a fucking Zergling.

Ironbite-it's not that hard.

...Dude.

Where in Warcraft does it say that the units have no mind of their own and that they are all identical in appearance? I know that is how they look like in the game but that is simply because each unit only has one model and one voice. (OR in the case of WC1 each army only has one voice.) But I have the impression that this is just gameplay/story segregation for a strategy game. Because making a separate voice and model for each and every unit would take too much resources.

Zerg on the other hand are said to have a hivemind. The manuals, comics and novels are quite clear on that. Once a brood is beyond the control of the hivemind they become a horde of rampaging beasts as was seen in the Zerg and Protoss campaigns.

Cerebrates.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4968 on: October 01, 2014, 05:18:02 am »
They fixed it for zombies, they can fix it for zerg.
Zombies and liches other undead used to have minds. They got their minds back after being released from Lich king's or the necromancer's control.

Zergling mind (as it is) is just an animal. Like I said, we know that from the campaign from the times when cerebrates or the Overmind got killed.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
« Reply #4969 on: October 01, 2014, 08:10:52 am »
They could always do what the Warhammer 40k MMO is gonna do with the Tyranids and make the Zerg an NPC faction.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4970 on: October 01, 2014, 05:37:40 pm »
I suggested that the player could be a Cerebrate created by Kerrigan to ease her workload, with the caveat of a mental control that prevents it from rebelling against her. It's really as simple as that.

Or they could be a NPC race, as Kaz suggested.

Oh, and I think reviving the Toss Purifier/ Soul Hunter concept would be a cool idea. You could have the bolt of the Lightning Gun be capable of restoring the health of allies nearby or drain the health of enemies to heal the user.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 05:47:38 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #4971 on: October 01, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »
So anyone else watched any Shadows of Mordor gameplay? I spent last night watching a friend of mine stream it. Lovely great game, I can't wait to play it myself. Now if only they didn't have a few camera and button issues...
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4972 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:46 pm »
So anyone else watched any Shadows of Mordor gameplay? I spent last night watching a friend of mine stream it. Lovely great game, I can't wait to play it myself. Now if only they didn't have a few camera and button issues...
It looks pretty snazzy to me. Like Assassin's Creed, only with good combat. Not to mention, the whole branding system and using it to take control of Sauron's upper brass looks pretty cool. Definitely something to consider picking up in a sale, once all the DLC is out.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #4973 on: October 03, 2014, 08:10:44 pm »
I was going to torrent it, but holy god 30 gig
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4974 on: October 03, 2014, 11:11:18 pm »
I just wonder if there's any bit of Tolkien's lore that hasn't been shattered to pieces by Shadow of Mordor.

Trying very hard not to get all condescending lore purist here.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4975 on: October 04, 2014, 01:31:11 am »
It looks pretty snazzy to me. Like Assassin's Creed, only with good combat. Not to mention, the whole branding system and using it to take control of Sauron's upper brass looks pretty cool. Definitely something to consider picking up in a sale, once all the DLC is out.
I've watched a bit into it and it seems cool. I've also seen a comment from a buddy who hates Lord of the rings saying that the game is the first Tolkien related thing he likes.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4976 on: October 04, 2014, 02:36:56 am »
I was going to torrent it, but holy god 30 gig

Not as big as Wolfenstein (48gb).

Also, Smash Bros is good fun. Slightly disappointed I can't find a newcomer that's as fun as Ike, Pikachu and Snake, though.
Who needs a signature?

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #4977 on: October 04, 2014, 07:39:37 am »
BzGBCWjIYAAHs0-.jpg-large by IanC14, on Flickr

I do like it when games let you mess with the camera and take screenshots. (inFamous First Light btw)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4978 on: October 04, 2014, 08:48:00 am »
I've watched a bit into it and it seems cool. I've also seen a comment from a buddy who hates Lord of the rings saying that the game is the first Tolkien related thing he likes.

Does it stop with the whole super hippy "all technology since the Dark Ages is bad" bullshit, at least?  Or, if nothing else, does it make the elves not insufferable pricks?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4979 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:51 am »
My friend was ranting about how amazing Shadows of Mordor is. He killed an orc by stabbing it through the eye, and when the orc came back later (you can only kill them for good via decapitation) he was angry as fuck and his face was being held together with some sort of plate. He burned another orc, and later on that orc tried to kill him while screaming "YOU BURNED ME, NOW I BURN YOU." Unique stuff like that makes a game enjoyable and significantly increases replayability.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades