Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1507728 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5970 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:21 am »
What, if anything, does Hanlon mean by the Veteran Rangers "chasing ghosts down in Baja" and all?

I think it was partially a hint that there is more going on in the world than just the war at the damn. Also a reminder that NCR was fighting a war on two fronts. Their forces were spread between Baja and Nevada and both flanks were being hurt by the lack of troops.

Actually, I'm not sure if they explained what the operation in Baja was but maybe that was left vague on purpose in case a later game or expansion would be set there.

Ghosts down in Baja?  Perhaps they're talking about the Ghost People.

Ironbite-maybe Big MT had another Sierra Mardre out there.

OR maybe "ghosts" was a more metaphorical phrase than literal. "Chasing ghosts" is just another way of saying "wild goose chase" and Hanlon though that the Baja expedition was a waste of time and resources.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5971 on: August 20, 2015, 09:09:24 am »
What, if anything, does Hanlon mean by the Veteran Rangers "chasing ghosts down in Baja" and all?

I think it was partially a hint that there is more going on in the world than just the war at the damn. Also a reminder that NCR was fighting a war on two fronts. Their forces were spread between Baja and Nevada and both flanks were being hurt by the lack of troops.

Actually, I'm not sure if they explained what the operation in Baja was but maybe that was left vague on purpose in case a later game or expansion would be set there.

Ghosts down in Baja?  Perhaps they're talking about the Ghost People.

Ironbite-maybe Big MT had another Sierra Mardre out there.

OR maybe "ghosts" was a more metaphorical phrase than literal. "Chasing ghosts" is just another way of saying "wild goose chase" and Hanlon though that the Baja expedition was a waste of time and resources.

Hunting the Enclave remnants?
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5972 on: August 20, 2015, 11:52:15 am »
And away boys, away
A-weigh, you Rio!
It's fare-you-well my bonny young girls
And we're bound for the Rio Grande.
Help me boys, there's a bully in the alley,
Hey, ho, a bully in the alley...
By the way, it's "I'm bully in the alley". It's old timey slang for drunk, I believe.

Unless of course, your pirate crew really is singing about a guy in an alley who steals their lunch money and gives them wedgies, in which case, you may want to review your hiring practices a little.

It's only "I'm" in the last chorus. ;)  When you go to Faire every weekend it's held, you learn the words to a lot of songs you'd never heard of before.  This is also why I grinned so huge when Bro was showing me that game, and the crew started singing "Bully in the Alley."

I was of the impression that it was about folks getting press-ganged (by the "bully") into serving in the British Navy, as this was their actual hiring practice for a couple centuries or so.

ETA the 1st verse as I heard it:

"I spent 10 years in the Royal Navy (Hey, ho, a bully in the alley)
I didn't want to go, but the bully made me (Bully down in Shinbone Al')."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 11:55:54 am by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5973 on: August 21, 2015, 01:28:48 am »
And away boys, away
A-weigh, you Rio!
It's fare-you-well my bonny young girls
And we're bound for the Rio Grande.
Help me boys, there's a bully in the alley,
Hey, ho, a bully in the alley...
By the way, it's "I'm bully in the alley". It's old timey slang for drunk, I believe.

Unless of course, your pirate crew really is singing about a guy in an alley who steals their lunch money and gives them wedgies, in which case, you may want to review your hiring practices a little.

It's only "I'm" in the last chorus. ;)  When you go to Faire every weekend it's held, you learn the words to a lot of songs you'd never heard of before.  This is also why I grinned so huge when Bro was showing me that game, and the crew started singing "Bully in the Alley."

I was of the impression that it was about folks getting press-ganged (by the "bully") into serving in the British Navy, as this was their actual hiring practice for a couple centuries or so.

ETA the 1st verse as I heard it:

"I spent 10 years in the Royal Navy (Hey, ho, a bully in the alley)
I didn't want to go, but the bully made me (Bully down in Shinbone Al')."

According to the Google gods, it's "I'm" throughout the whole song. Every lyrics site I've checked claims this. Not to mention, the song sounds far more like "I'm" than "there's a".
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbvFroSYA0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAbvFroSYA0</a>
Perhaps Black Flag uses a different version of the song, though I thought that back then, "bully" didn't mean a total fuckwit like it does nowadays.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #5974 on: August 21, 2015, 06:05:30 am »
It's been driving me crazy.  Google only turns up a totally different version about a girl named Sally.  The verse I quoted doesn't seem to be getting any hits.

It appears the local Faire has created a new variant.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5975 on: August 21, 2015, 06:22:24 am »
Those damn incorrect faire sea shanties. They get you every time.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5976 on: August 24, 2015, 07:41:05 pm »
I would have really appreciated Arch Dornan as a member of the Remnants, to be honest.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5977 on: August 24, 2015, 07:43:33 pm »
I thought it was cannon that he was killed in Fallout 2?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5978 on: August 25, 2015, 01:33:46 am »
As far as I'm aware there is no canon whether or not the Chosen one destroyed the Navarro base by him/herself. Apparently NCR and BoS teamed up to fight the Enclave so he might have been killed in that war but since there is no canon word on it (as far as I know) he could have been used as one of the Remnants.

I managed to get World of Warhips to work on my computer and it was fun for a while until my computer slowed down so much that playing became impossible. It takes so long to load the level that my ship has been hit by the enemies by the time I can start playing...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5979 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:23 am »
Currently getting back into Saints Row 2. It's hilarious just how quickly and easily you can break that game. Get four wanted stars, find a SWAT roadblock, steal one of their APCs, first head to the Forgive and Forget, then to the mechanic, mod it with all of the extra bells and whistles and stash it in your garage. Now, simply enjoy being an unstoppable angel of death on the road any time you want.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5980 on: August 26, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
I need a source for that last one because if that's true HOLY FUCK!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5981 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:08 am »
So apparently, I have a free gift code of Age of Wonders on GOG. I don't remember ever getting it, I had no idea I even had it until now but apparently it's been a thing since late last year. I could try and trade it, but I cannot for the life of me be arsed right now, so I'll just leave it here for one of you to enjoy. First come, first served.
(click to show/hide)
Have fun!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #5982 on: August 30, 2015, 11:18:25 am »
Grabbed it.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5983 on: August 30, 2015, 03:51:49 pm »
Radflakes are trying to get a game (admittedly a distasteful one) banned from an online store:

https://archive.is/iRRuU

So much for "we're not Jack Thompson".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5984 on: August 30, 2015, 09:36:14 pm »
Grabbed it.
Cool, you enjoy that. Age of Wonders is probably the best turn based strategy of all time.