Author Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic  (Read 567903 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
« Reply #525 on: February 23, 2012, 01:07:05 am »
You know overall, I'm not a fan of the whole "Celestia is a Tyrant" joke, but for some reason it all changes when it's Star Wars-MLP:FIM crossover joke. I really enjoy the whole "Celestia is in league with Palpatine/ Darth Vader/various other Imperial" and "Luna is aiding the Rebellion"jokes.

Speaking of Tyrant!Celestia, there was a really good fic that I was reading called "The Sun Is Tired."  I don't think it's been updated in a while, but then again I've been busy enough where I haven't really checked the story updates.  Everyone fears Celestia, and it tears her up inside basically.  I like Celestia as a character.  Stories that are from her point of view, especially sad ones, are my favorites.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/story-sun-is-tired.html
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #526 on: February 23, 2012, 01:55:42 am »
I imagine it could be fairly lonely to be Celestia. Aside from the normal "untouchableness" of royalty, she's essentially a goddess, far more powerful than any known living creature aside from her own sister--who she didn't have by her side for 1,000 years. Her one attempt to spend a meaningful amount of time with her personal protege ending up consumed by the trappings of her station, forced to pay lip service to noble ponies she obviously cares little for on any personal level. Even her other attempt to just spend time with the people of Ponyville as a whole was cut far shorter than she would have liked.

• The Beast
« Reply #527 on: February 23, 2012, 02:50:09 am »
I have another Celestia fic I really like.

http://poni.0au.de/story/2721/For-Her

Also, I like Ponify.  I've added a few holidays, and have turned "Christianity" into "The Solar Empire" and "Devil" and "Satan" into "Discord."

Ooh!  Islam should be "The Lunar Republic" and "Allah" should be "Luna."  Yes, I know that Allah and God are one in the same, but with the crescent moon and stuff, I can't resist.  Also, because I keep ponify on most of the time, I'll be able to tell the two religions apart. :P

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #528 on: February 23, 2012, 09:43:03 am »
If you're interested in Celestia fics, there is also 'Eternal'.

It's an incredibly detailed look at the relationship between Celestia and Twilight, and it also touches upon the loneliness and detachment she suffers as an immortal. The last two chapters are more or less a single prolonged Tear Jerker. (oh celestia that last letter)

Would give link, but it has been hacked Tuesday already, and apparently now again. [1]tvtropes page, where sooner or later the reuploaded link will be edited in.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #529 on: February 24, 2012, 02:17:15 am »
You know, catching Winter Wrap-Up (which happens to be my favorite episode) the other day, I realized something that's usually hard to notice since to date there's only been two songs that involve all six of the mane cast.

But Rainbow Dash clearly has the best singing voice. Followed closely by Twilight.

I do realize that only two of the mane cast has the same VAs for voice and singing, but as far as the actual singing goes, Rainbow just seems the clear winner in quality.

Anyone have any thoughts on this to share?
I enjoy Pinkie Pie and Rarity's the most. Mind you, their singing voices are by classically trained singers, while AJ/Dash have a more rockin' gal for their singing purposes.

None the less, Sweetie Belle has the best overall. Michelle Creber's YouTube page has her singing promo reel, and I find it impressive. Plus, it currently includes pony (at the end, for those interested).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBoWdjfQak" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBoWdjfQak</a>

She's been very active in the brony community, encouraging (non-creepy) interaction.

(click to show/hide)

I imagine it could be fairly lonely to be Celestia. Aside from the normal "untouchableness" of royalty, she's essentially a goddess, far more powerful than any known living creature aside from her own sister--who she didn't have by her side for 1,000 years. Her one attempt to spend a meaningful amount of time with her personal protege ending up consumed by the trappings of her station, forced to pay lip service to noble ponies she obviously cares little for on any personal level. Even her other attempt to just spend time with the people of Ponyville as a whole was cut far shorter than she would have liked.
This. I think she absolutely adores the mane cast.

None the less, I fully support Trollestia for similar reasons. Lady's bored!

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #530 on: February 24, 2012, 02:28:43 am »
Well, I find myself in an odd place.

Recently, my pony love has been raging pretty hard. I've been rewatching episodes, some multiple times in a day. It's just not enough content to keep me satisfied.

So despite what's likely my better judgment, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend some good fanfics. There are a few limits here, however: Nothing sexual in nature, though romance (especially lesbian romance) is perfectly fine. Staying true to the characters is important, and AU stories always seemed to defeat the entire purpose of fanfics for me. And of course, overall writing quality is a big factor.

I'm kind of hoping there's fanfics up to my standards out there, otherwise I'll feel compelled to start writing my own...

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #531 on: February 24, 2012, 02:51:18 am »
Well, long story short, Tai futzed around with some toys last weekend, and now my custom pony is up on the Tumblr based on the character. Check it out, I'm pretty excited.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuOmgQgLkc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuOmgQgLkc</a>
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Iczerfour

• Spawn of Pinkamena and Flutterbat
  • Pope
  • Now won't you stop moving, interrupting's not nice
« Reply #532 on: February 25, 2012, 12:09:10 am »
I have been busy reading a ton of pony fics from http://www.fimfiction.net/.  they have some good stuff there..

:)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #533 on: February 25, 2012, 12:30:46 am »
Well, I was kind of hoping for some recommendations of specific works. Years of Pokemon fandom have made me just plain tired of shifting through mountains of trash to find that one fic out of a thousand that won't make me want to strangle the person who wrote it with a garotte made of dictionaries.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #535 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:56 am »
Well, hardly a month's worth of material... most of those fics are well outside of anything I have an interest in reading. The ones I did read were pretty good quality, though.

• The Beast
« Reply #536 on: February 25, 2012, 11:31:40 am »
So what do you guys think of the new Derpy voice thing?

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #537 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:32 am »
The voice thing honestly doesn't bother me much. The original voice honestly made her sound retarded. As in, actually mentally challenged. When when you consider her entire role in that story was being "the pony that destroyed town hall" it could be seen as rather insensitive/offensive.

I am, however, disappointed that they edited out RD calling her by name.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #538 on: February 25, 2012, 11:59:05 am »
I am, however, disappointed that they edited out RD calling her by name.

Ditto

the "new voice" doesn't bother me, actually it's the new voice that I always imagined she had to begin with. It's the whole editing out her name that bothers me.  Stupid asshats that have ruin shit for the rest of us. Also some bronies need to grow the fuck up, with this "whole I hate this episode now,it looks as if they underped her eyes/ I feel like the episode been raped"bs. They look just as bad as the people who were bitching about her to begin with.

Question: Is this new edit going to be the one on the DVD that comes out at the end of the month??
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:29:49 pm by nickiknack »

• The Beast
« Reply #539 on: February 25, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »
I think people are forgetting that the episode is supposed to be about Applejack, and that even with this change, there's still plenty of funny moments and a fun plot.

Also, I wonder how much smaller the change might be if Tabitha had known Derpy was a girl.  I'd bet the un-derping of the eyes and the name removal would be the only change.

I think the voice is a lot closer to fan voices I've heard.  I'm a bit disappointed, as I think the redubbing sounds a little less passionate, but I'll deal with it.