Author Topic: Random Thoughts Thread  (Read 162054 times)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
Re: Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 05, 2015, 11:46:35 pm »
This talk about the metric system makes me remember that I had a Science teacher in Middle School that made everyone learn it.

Isn't that standard practice for everyone?

I know I had to learn both SI and (some) imperial units in science classes. I'll never know what an ounce is, but I can convert feet and inches to metres and Fahrenheit to Celsius.

Not in the US, because we're a special kind of stupid. Most get a basic overview and that's it, this teacher more or less expected everything done using the metric system in his class. While the other teachers preferred the normal conversions.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #301 on: November 05, 2015, 11:51:29 pm »
an ounce is roughly 27g

30g is easier to multiply with.

but i can't convert fahrenheit to celcius beyond 32°f=0°c

A difference of 100°C is the same as a difference of 180°F. I never remember the exact conversion formula, but knowing that, along with the zero offsets, I can reconstruct it.

F = 9/5 C + 32

Good to know I wasn't the only one who had to learn the metric system and conversions in high school.

Even Then

« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2015, 09:44:12 am »
oh my fucking tits I'm sitting in a library and next to me someone's explaining the concept of tsundere to a newbie

and explaining manga in general and describing various manga and anime and interspersing her explanation with random weeaboo squeals

what a wonderful world

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2015, 10:46:35 am »
Hey everybody. Long time no talk. I'm a bit busy with things and unfortunately posting on this site got the axe. I can occasionally pop in though. I hope all is well.

EVEN THEN! THE GREAT PAPYRUS APPROVES OF YOUR CHOICE OF AVATAR! NYEH HEH HEH HEH!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
hi solar! how've you been? good to see you  :)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »
Welcome back Solar.

Random thought I had earlier this week:

I was putting some trash to a trash compactor at work and at some point I realized that it is kinda odd that I am thinking up and evaluating alternatives courses of action should the lid of the machine suddenly drop and crush my arm. Like "If it happens to my left arm I'll need to reach my phone like that and the easiest method of describing the address would be..."

Well, I suppose this kind of thoughts are slightly more likely to be useful than "zombie revolution plans" of nerds or scanning for threats and thinking of how to shoot everyone around you like many of the CCW advocates in USA claim to do.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2015, 12:15:05 pm »
Welcome back Solar.

Random thought I had earlier this week:

I was putting some trash to a trash compactor at work and at some point I realized that it is kinda odd that I am thinking up and evaluating alternatives courses of action should the lid of the machine suddenly drop and crush my arm. Like "If it happens to my left arm I'll need to reach my phone like that and the easiest method of describing the address would be..."

Well, I suppose this kind of thoughts are slightly more likely to be useful than "zombie revolution plans" of nerds or scanning for threats and thinking of how to shoot everyone around you like many of the CCW advocates in USA claim to do.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXHsK4AQPs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkXHsK4AQPs</a>

;D

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »
I have what a buddy calls a zombie invasion plan. Nothing elaborate, a GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bag with some clothes, cash, cigarettes, lighter and a few other small essentials. I'm not planning on zombies, but you never know when you'll need to GTFO.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2015, 01:22:48 pm »
one of the earliest signs of my chronic paranoia was the fact i kept a bug out bag (bob) ready at all times. sleeping bag, knives and whetstone, 30m of paracord, firestarter, and clothing. i never went anywhere without it. by the end, it had grown to include freeze-dried food, water purification tablets, a hammock, a compass, a medkit, an antitoxin kit, a couple of survival books to read the stars and forage, and a recurve bow with fifteen arrows.

i'd grown dependant on it, and it inspired my friends to have a camping checklist to bolster my bob (that could barely acommodate two people snugly).

i'd disappeared off the face of the earth twice before getting help. now, it's more kitted out for winter camping (which i love to do), but it could come in handy in case of impending doom regardless of circumstances. it's still pretty much intact to what it was at my most paranoid, but i tend to leave the bow behind unless we're planning on spending a weekend target-shooting.

even though i can only can count the "lost time" i experienced, it seems i could bug out and disappear in under 20 minutes. a three hour round trip took me 150km out, according to my car's readings.

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2015, 12:38:31 am »
Are foreigners that live in countries with a universal healthcare system that support American LOLibertarians a special kind of stupid?? Also known as the joys of seeing Europeans supporting people like the Pauls.

pyro

« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2015, 01:46:14 am »
I finally put up an avatar, after Bill Nye Warner vanished in a database glitch and I never bothered replacing it.

Is everyone going to hear everything I say in Billy Crystal's voice now?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #311 on: November 08, 2015, 02:10:40 am »
No because I've not seen that movie in English. I've watched it with the Japanese voice track and subtitles and now that I have kids I've also watched it with Finnish voice track with my kids.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #312 on: November 08, 2015, 02:11:46 am »
Nor will I, because I have no idea what the hell that thing is in the first place.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #313 on: November 08, 2015, 02:15:29 pm »
I need someone to draw a bunch of Dwarves in the style of the characters from "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas" but digging a tunnel down and a caption "We can't stop here. This is Balrog country."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #314 on: November 08, 2015, 03:38:48 pm »
I need someone to draw a bunch of Dwarves in the style of the characters from "Fear and loathing in Las Vegas" but digging a tunnel down and a caption "We can't stop here. This is Balrog country."

Fëanor's mad dash to Angband would arguably be better context for a quote like that.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.