Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1628706 times)

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6885 on: March 25, 2020, 03:24:14 pm »

Let me respond to this cliche, low-effort cold take with a cliche, low effort catchphrase: OK Boomer.
Stop the timeline, I wanna get off.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6886 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:05 pm »
The fact that they think mortal kombat is a first person shooter is making me get "ok boomer" vibes.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6887 on: April 09, 2020, 05:33:47 am »

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6888 on: April 09, 2020, 09:50:13 am »
So I guess fox news is telling them that ebil liebrils are blaming Trump ( may his name be praised ) for creating the Coronavirus, and clearly not showing the many times he denied, called it a hoax or downplayed the virus until almost three weeks ago, and still doesn't seem to be taking it seriously?
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6889 on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:28 pm »
so, wait, is this Trump's plan, or...? who is gonna start martial law without the President's consent?
Σא

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6890 on: April 09, 2020, 12:10:13 pm »
I think he means the coronavirus is fakenews and doesn't exist so the liebruls can overthrow Trump and give everybody Autism.

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #6891 on: April 09, 2020, 01:04:34 pm »
Is that Donald Trump or Stephen Harper?  Because it looks like Winston Roundtree's hilarious take on Stephen Harper...

http://www.viruscomix.com/page461.html

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #6892 on: April 09, 2020, 04:35:37 pm »
No that's the Donald Trump that Garrison gets a boner for.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #6893 on: April 09, 2020, 08:52:25 pm »
Is that Donald Trump or Stephen Harper?  Because it looks like Winston Roundtree's hilarious take on Stephen Harper...

http://www.viruscomix.com/page461.html
I think it may be Bill Gates, there's a conspiracy theory doing the rounds coming from 4chan that he's the next Soros or something.

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6894 on: April 12, 2020, 01:46:14 pm »

You know, there's a difference between criticizing the society you live in and actively supporting businesses whose practices you claim to hate.

Also, I know this isn't the cartoonist's fault, but I can't look at that last panel without thinking of the "Gamers Rise Up" meme.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #6895 on: April 12, 2020, 11:07:56 pm »
You know, there's a difference between criticizing the society you live in and actively supporting businesses whose practices you claim to hate.

A) The problem is that so much of our lives is run by giant companies that are almost all horrible, to the point where if you don't want to support businesses that are evil you basically need to live in an Amish community or something.

B) It's still a logical fallacy to dismiss someone's stance because they are a hypocrite in one way or another.  If I say "Don't smoke, it's bad for you" after eating bacon, the fact that bacon is also bad doesn't mean I'm wrong to say not to smoke.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6896 on: April 13, 2020, 12:28:31 am »
Vanto is literally the Well-actually guy from that comic.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6897 on: April 14, 2020, 01:43:58 am »
A) The problem is that so much of our lives is run by giant companies that are almost all horrible, to the point where if you don't want to support businesses that are evil you basically need to live in an Amish community or something.

B) It's still a logical fallacy to dismiss someone's stance because they are a hypocrite in one way or another.  If I say "Don't smoke, it's bad for you" after eating bacon, the fact that bacon is also bad doesn't mean I'm wrong to say not to smoke.

a. You say that like there's never a choice. In the cartoon, the woman in the first two panels doesn't like Apple exploiting Chinese sweatshop labor. Neither do I, which is why I've been using BlackBerry phones for years. Maybe my next one will be a Fairphone.

b. Why do you say I was dismissing her stance? You can call somebody a hypocrite while agreeing with what they have to say.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6898 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:34 am »

a. You say that like there's never a choice. In the cartoon, the woman in the first two panels doesn't like Apple exploiting Chinese sweatshop labor. Neither do I, which is why I've been using BlackBerry phones for years. Maybe my next one will be a Fairphone.

Foxconn, the iPhone manufacturer famous for the number of suicides at its factories, also made phones for BlackBerry. Maybe Fairphone does better, idk, but it is in fact genuinely hard to buy a smartphone that wasn't made using Chinese labour under shitty conditions.

Increasingly, smartphone ownership is in fact a requirement to participate in society (Internet access is, definitely, and I don't think non-smartphone electronics are much better re: labour conditions). So I think the point is equally apt. For most people, not paying money to a company engaged in some sort of terrible business practice you hate is not a realistic option.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:48:38 am by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline Vanto

• Bishop
« Reply #6899 on: April 14, 2020, 11:28:34 am »

Foxconn, the iPhone manufacturer famous for the number of suicides at its factories, also made phones for BlackBerry. Maybe Fairphone does better, idk, but it is in fact genuinely hard to buy a smartphone that wasn't made using Chinese labour under shitty conditions.

Increasingly, smartphone ownership is in fact a requirement to participate in society (Internet access is, definitely, and I don't think non-smartphone electronics are much better re: labour conditions). So I think the point is equally apt. For most people, not paying money to a company engaged in some sort of terrible business practice you hate is not a realistic option.

I know BlackBerry phones were manufactured in China for a few years, but I don't think that's accurate, since The Good Shopping Guide gave them their top rating in human rights. As for Fairphone, I think you might find it interesting. Unfortunately, they don't sell outside Europe at the moment, but I can always buy secondhand.

And in any case, China was losing its position as "the world's smartphone manufacturer" even before the Wuhan virus.