Author Topic: Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 111627 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #570 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:41 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #571 on: March 30, 2020, 04:26:22 am »
I would go a step further and replace "economy" with "stock market".
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #572 on: March 30, 2020, 03:58:45 pm »
I would go a step further and replace "economy" with "stock market".
Yeah, stock market is being used as the main indicator of how well the economy is functioning in the current capitalist system. "Economy" and "Stock market" are interchangeable without changing the actual message much. People just like to use "economy" because it gives the impression that the discussion is about the common good instead of sacrificing the poor for the investors' profits.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #573 on: April 08, 2020, 10:13:23 pm »
Everyone, watch as Peter Jordanssen gives his MAN THOUGHTS to Master Your Universe!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApyNrbisJ_c

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #574 on: April 14, 2020, 06:02:06 pm »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #575 on: June 11, 2020, 05:08:26 am »
Since people seem to be in the mood of pulling down statues of people who committed atrocities....

During the Holodomor, other Soviet officials literally begged Stalin to send aid for starving Ukrainians who were dying in the millions.On dozens of occassions, these officials explained to Stalin the gravity of the situation, desperately trying to secure whatever aid they could to save human lives.
Stalin's reaction to this was simple callous hatred. He was visibly annoyed whenever the topic was breached, and frequently went on racist rants about how much he hated Ukrainians. With ultimate vetoe rights on every shipment of aid, he would exercise these rights many times, denying food when the famine could have easily been relieved with just a few hundred thousand tons of it - nothing in the grand scheme of things.
When he did, a few times, actually allow a smidgen of aid to be sent, it was only after other officials literally begged him for it, and it was always far less than what they were initially asking for.

After the famine was over, Stalin is quoted as saying that he wishes he could have bombed all Ukrainians into oblivion.

Stalin's callous disregard for humanity, even as his subordinates tried their hardest to get him to save Ukrainians who he considered less than human, shows us the kind of monster that this man was.

(click to show/hide)

And yeah, the famine was caused by implemented policies, not just drought.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #576 on: June 11, 2020, 12:01:06 pm »
Don't even have to spoiler that shit; anyone with half a brain knows Churchill was a racist, warmongering old canker.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #577 on: June 11, 2020, 12:14:35 pm »
He just has a good historical rep because Hitler came along and it's really, really difficult to look bad when you're known for fighting against Hitler.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #578 on: June 11, 2020, 12:14:52 pm »
I'm just getting flashbacks to those numerous conversations online where someone argues that Holodomor was the fault of Ukrainian kulaks and capitalists and that Stalin was an innocent little butterfly and never did anything wrong.

...I didn't used to think that it would be possible but ever since I started seeing more leftists in online conversations, Tankies started coming out from hiding.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #579 on: June 12, 2020, 03:10:34 am »
Don't even have to spoiler that shit; anyone with half a brain knows Churchill was a racist, warmongering old canker.
Racist, warmongering cankers are a much less exclusive club than people who have committed actual genocides. That's the part that was news to me.

He just has a good historical rep because Hitler came along and it's really, really difficult to look bad when you're known for fighting against Hitler.
Stalin had a bigger part in defeating Hitler and people have no problem calling him out for his atrocities. Except, like Askold mentioned, tankies who are ridiculed even among other far leftists for it.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #580 on: June 12, 2020, 04:32:01 am »
You have to remember that in American media, WWII was D-Day and the Pacific Theatre. Stuff like Stalingrad and Kursk might as well not have happened.

As for Churchill and India, keep in mind that he also refused to allow US and Canadian ships to carry food there (even though both the US and Canada assured him they had the shipping capacity and food production to do it), hoped Gandhi would starve to death, and was of the view that Indians would never be as well-off under self-rule than they were under the Raj.

(Also I've seen some claims that part of why his condemnation of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre was so vociferous was not entirely about how many people Colonel Dyer ordered murdered, but rather also because of how it undermined the legitimacy of British rule in India.)
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #581 on: June 14, 2020, 09:23:45 am »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #582 on: June 15, 2020, 04:18:20 am »
Racist, warmongering cankers are a much less exclusive club than people who have committed actual genocides. That's the part that was news to me.

Stalin had a bigger part in defeating Hitler and people have no problem calling him out for his atrocities. Except, like Askold mentioned, tankies who are ridiculed even among other far leftists for it.

My favorites are the tankies that act like somehow you are a Hitler apologist if you point out Stalin's crimes. It's my favorite because they're basically the exact same as the nazis who say everyone to the left of the Fuhrer must be a commie who wants to starve the peasants except they have a yellow hammer-and-sickle pained on them instead of a black hooked-cross swastika.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #583 on: August 22, 2020, 01:19:57 am »
So Disney has a show with a bisexual protagonist and homophobes are throwing a fit.  The showrunner has had to deal with them and made some funny responses.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:50:06 am by Skybison »

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #584 on: September 10, 2020, 01:29:01 am »
when people take the "holding hands is too lewd" meme unironically.