Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1651647 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4800 on: January 14, 2015, 09:15:46 am »
I like the Mohammed cartoons where he's a sympathetic character who's sick of the nuts killing in his name. If I "Drew Mohammed" in protest, that would be my approach.

The ones about "The Pen/Pencil/Brush Is Mightier Than The Sword" is great, too.

Hello, I'm back with a new look, name and attitude. No more crazy from me. I'm ashamed of how I was last time.

Happy New year, everyone! How's everything? Startin' fresh here.

It's great to see you again!

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4801 on: January 14, 2015, 10:05:53 am »
Yay! Welcome back, Spuki....and from now on I'll say Barbarella. Cool avi.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4802 on: January 14, 2015, 12:21:06 pm »
Yeah, that "We're gonna do a work slow down - RAWR!!" thing shows just how brutally clueless a majority in the NYPD have become.

This has been bugging me for a while, until someone pointed out the (in hindsight) obvious:

Most important, the NYPD hasn’t “proved the opposite” of why they’re needed. They’re not trying to prove anything to the average citizen. What they’re trying to do is prove to the mayor and city government that they’re needed - and the reason the mayor and city government need them is that the fines they collect for minor offenses make up a lot of the city’s revenue. They’re probably doing a perfectly good job of proving to the mayor that he needs them for this. Our opinions are irrelevant.
Σא

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4803 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:31 pm »
Hello, I'm back with a new look, name and attitude. No more crazy from me. I'm ashamed of how I was last time.

yay! welcome back, spuki!  :)
I like the Mohammed cartoons where he's a sympathetic character who's sick of the nuts killing in his name. If I "Drew Mohammed" in protest, that would be my approach.

The ones about "The Pen/Pencil/Brush Is Mightier Than The Sword" is great, too.

It's great to see you again!
Yay! Welcome back, Spuki....and from now on I'll say Barbarella. Cool avi.

Thanks. I'm going to try extra-hard not to act like a nut. Glad to be here.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4804 on: January 14, 2015, 02:19:58 pm »
Yeah, that "We're gonna do a work slow down - RAWR!!" thing shows just how brutally clueless a majority in the NYPD have become.

This has been bugging me for a while, until someone pointed out the (in hindsight) obvious:

Most important, the NYPD hasn’t “proved the opposite” of why they’re needed. They’re not trying to prove anything to the average citizen. What they’re trying to do is prove to the mayor and city government that they’re needed - and the reason the mayor and city government need them is that the fines they collect for minor offenses make up a lot of the city’s revenue. They’re probably doing a perfectly good job of proving to the mayor that he needs them for this. Our opinions are irrelevant.

True, and it points out that the city has come to depend on the police essentially mugging citizens to get that income. And yet, I'd be curious to see by how much savings from fewer jail inmates to support offsets the current drop in fine revenue.

Need to find the fines revenue figures first, but there's a possible cost per inmate per year report of $168,000, or $460 a day per inmate. A big chunk of that would be labor and infrastructure overhead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/nyregion/citys-annual-cost-per-inmate-is-nearly-168000-study-says.html?_r=0

I did find an article on NYC's IBO (Independent Budget Office) that discusses fine income in general, without delineating the fines generated by criminal charges or the stop and frisk crap that has so many people outraged.

http://ibo.nyc.ny.us/cgi-park/?p=733

Since the current NYPD slowdown includes the cops not ticketing for parking violations and littering, etc., the income loss for the City must be huge atm.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4805 on: January 14, 2015, 03:19:29 pm »

Welcome back.  Happy new year to you too. :)

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4806 on: January 14, 2015, 03:40:40 pm »
As everyone else has said, welcome back.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4807 on: January 14, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

Geez, the mayor will need to start making budget cuts because of this.
To bad there isn't some department with a massively inflated budget, perhaps one that routinly gets APCs and grenade launchers...

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4808 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:46 pm »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4809 on: January 14, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »

To bad there isn't some department with a massively inflated budget, perhaps one that routinly gets APCs and grenade launchers...

The military? Because they are the ones providing their excess equipment to the police.

And while reducing their budget sounds like a great idea, I'm pretty sure the mayor can't do that.
Σא

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4810 on: January 14, 2015, 10:34:46 pm »

The military? Because they are the ones providing their excess equipment to the police.

And while reducing their budget sounds like a great idea, I'm pretty sure the mayor can't do that.
1. The NYPD has an annual budget of 4 billion dollars.

2. Sadly true.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4811 on: January 14, 2015, 11:28:25 pm »

2. Sadly true.

Sad thing is, the military doesn't even want the money Congress is lavishing on them.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4812 on: January 15, 2015, 01:16:00 am »

2. Sadly true.

Sad thing is, the military doesn't even want the money Congress is lavishing on them.
The congress is throwing money and vehicles at the military because they want the money to go to the manufacturers and the military is forced to mothball brand new tanks and planes that they don't need.

...Although the marines are still using outdated stuff and have to wait for scraps from the other branches if I have understood correctly.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4813 on: January 15, 2015, 08:33:48 pm »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4814 on: January 16, 2015, 05:15:59 am »
Not quite a cartoon but a collection of remarks by Putin about other countries (some may have only been implied.)

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!