Author Topic: VISOR Approaching Reality  (Read 6938 times)

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
VISOR Approaching Reality
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:16 am »
I was over on Star Trek Online's website and decided to listen to one of their podcasts. So now you know how I found out about this little development.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/13/star-trek-like-vision-restoring-visor_n_1275304.html
Talk about seeing the light. Israeli scientists have developed a "sensory substitution device" (SSD) that they say lets congenitally blind people "see" for the first time ever.

The device is reminiscent of the electronic visor worn by Geordi La Forge, the blind engineer in the TV series "Star Trek: The Next Generation." It features a tiny computerized video camera that transforms light into so-called "soundscapes"--specific tones that the wearer interprets using his/her sense of hearing.

Using the SSD isn't actually seeing. But after a brief training session, wearers are able to identify everyday objects, locate people and their postures, and even read, according to a written statement released by Hebrew University of Jerusalem, where the technology was developed.

It seems this was originally reported in the journal Cerebral Cortex.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: VISOR Approaching Reality
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:32 pm »
Supposedly, you can do "human sonar" with just your mouth.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
Does Cerebral Cortex have any dirty pictures? Just curious.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MaybeNever

• Got His Red Wings
  • Pope
  • Possessed of a proclivity for prolixity
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:34:37 am »
Does Cerebral Cortex have any dirty pictures? Just curious.

There is one MRI photograph of the brain of a person who masturbates eight times a day. Absolutely filthy.
"Great Britain's two most senior military officers added to the uneasiness. [...] Lord Wolseley, Adjutant General, thought that it might be possible for an enemy to invade without waiters and pastrycooks."
-Robert K. Massie, Dreadnought