Author Topic: Guilty pleasures  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Guilty pleasures
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:03:12 am »
For the purpose of this topic, what is a guilty pleasure?

It's when you know something is wrong, bad, terrible, awful, or just plain rotten...

...and yet you can't help but like it anyways.  Either in spite of it, or even BECAUSE of it.

First of all, I like Jar Jar Binks.  Perhaps I have a high tolerance for higher-pitched cartoony voiced in dramatic movies, but he's vaguely amusing.  I don't like how he's been retroactively inserted into Movie #6 (or Movie #3 depending on how you ask) but regardless, he's somewhat amusing.  I don't mind people making fun of him, and hating him, though, and in fact, I will partake in the mockery myself.

Second of all... I actually really like the Zelda CD-i games.

Why?

They're horrible, atrocious, and hilarious because of that.

I more so speak of the cutscenes with their atrocious art and voice acting, as the gameplay itself is a lesson in frustration.

But seriously, I love it.

What are some of your guilty pleasures?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Cloudy

Re: Guilty pleasures
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:19:17 am »
Dragonforce (and power metal in general) is one of mine.  Their lyrics are ridiculously cheesy, their sound has evolved very little over time and many songs sound extremely similar, and they speed up their music in the studio to the point that they can't play it very well live.  And yet, I enjoy them for some reason, even though I can't put my finger on why.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:20:53 am »
I love Dragonforce :D Partially because of their name, but mostly because of their lyrics.

Cheesy?  Yes.  But then, lots of cheeses are quite tasty and as good as bacon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Morgenleoht

• The Beast
  • Formerly Known As Runa
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:58 am »
Chocolate?

...I find myself enjoying really crappy superhero movies like Elektra and Ghost Rider. Please don't judge me.

P.S. I love DragonForce too!
Fundie Neighbour: "Pagans don't feel things the same way Christians do."

Me: "Just remember what the Vikings used to do to Christians that annoyed them."

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:27:52 am »
Judging by the numbers of Dragonforce fans present, does that mean not listening to them is now the guilty pleasure?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:03:51 am »
Chocolate?

...I find myself enjoying really crappy superhero movies like Elektra and Ghost Rider. Please don't judge me.

P.S. I love DragonForce too!

I love Catwoman and don't understand why people hate it.

But then, that was my first exposure to the character so... that's probably it.

Either way, I have a policy.

If a game or a movie is "good on its own" (or as it's commonly called, "Good if it wasn't part of X series"), then it's good, period.

Like, say, FF12.  A lot of people say "That would be a good game if it wasn't called Final Fantasy."  That's bullshit.  If it's good without the title, it's good period.  The game is not to blame for your expectations.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:04:31 am »
Like, say, FF12.  A lot of people say "That would be a good game if it wasn't called Final Fantasy."  That's bullshit.  If it's good without the title, it's good period.  The game is not to blame for your expectations.

A lot of people said the same thing about Halloween 3. It had absolutely nothing to do with the first two Halloween movies (other than relating to that particular day), and people had a shit fit over that. I still enjoy it a great deal, though.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:35:19 am »
It's fashionable to show disdain for cop shows, but I'm enjoying the new Hawaii Five-0 - though I could not stand the original.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:43:36 am »
Pfft. Look at you all thinking you have guilty pleasures. I'll show you a real guilty pleasure. I have THIS on my MP3 player.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw</a>

Offline Sandafluffoid

• Bishop
  • Defective Detective
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
How is that guilty? That song effing rules.
Oh look it's me.

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:37:02 am »
I don't really get the concept of a guilty pleasure. I mean, why should I feel guilty because I like something?
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:25:13 pm »

First of all, I like Jar Jar Binks.  Perhaps I have a high tolerance for higher-pitched cartoony voiced in dramatic movies, but he's vaguely amusing.  I don't like how he's been retroactively inserted into Movie #6 (or Movie #3 depending on how you ask) but regardless, he's somewhat amusing.  I don't mind people making fun of him, and hating him, though, and in fact, I will partake in the mockery myself.

You know the funny thing, I've seen a lot of "re-thinking" of Jar Jar within the fandom, I still hate him due to his annoyingness and I want to throw him in a lava pit on Mustafar.

That being said, "Final Countdown" is a AWESOME song, and there's nothing to be embarrassed about liking that song.

My guilty pleasure I guess is that I prefer to cheer for villains in movies and TV shows, they always seem to have more fun, and bonus points if the villain in question 1. likes to chew the scenecy 2. is a complete monster 3. is a magnificent bastard or 4. All of the above.

And in case anyone is wondering, I'm a huge Palpatine fan girl, because the character falls into choice #4.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:47:10 pm by nickiknack »

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »
I think Sarah Palin speaks a kind of Jar Jar Binks.

You can imagine Jar Jar squeaking "Hey, Ani, mesa got in a squirmish with Watto... Hesa sayin' I trod on a droid, but mesa refudiatin' that!"
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »
I'm pretty sure Jar Jar Binks is slightly more intelligent than Sarah Palin on camera.

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:10:12 pm »
Jar Jar didn't quit his elected post after half a term.

Final Countdown is awesome. I also like Take on Me.