Author Topic: No More Anons In New York  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
No More Anons In New York
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/05/anonymous-online-speech-ban/

Proposed legislation in both chambers would require New York-based websites, such as blogs and newspapers, to “remove any comments posted on his or her website by an anonymous poster unless such anonymous poster agrees to attach his or her name to the post.”

No votes on the measures have been taken. But unless the First Amendment is repealed, they stand no chance of surviving any constitutional scrutiny even if they were approved.

Republican Assemblyman Jim Conte said the legislation would cut down on “mean-spirited and baseless political attacks” and “turns the spotlight on cyberbullies by forcing them to reveal their identity.”

...yeah, have fun with that, New York. You do realize that pretty much every website has anonymous submissions for a reason, right? You realize that anonymous submissions are what let people keep their jobs and speak their minds freely, right?

Idiots.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: No More Anons In New York
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:08:40 pm »
Oh there's this thing in the way.  What's it called?  Oh yeah.

Ironbite-THE FIRST AMENDMENT!

Saturn500

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »
Quote from: 1DaveN
I live in New York, and I'm thinking that if they really want to combat “mean-spirited and baseless political attacks” and “turns the spotlight on cyberbullies," they should start by outlawing TV advertising from the US Chamber of Commerce.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:45 pm »
I live in New York, and I'm thinking that if they really want to combat “mean-spirited and baseless political attacks” and “turns the spotlight on cyberbullies," they should start by outlawing TV advertising from the US Chamber of Commerce.

Hear Hear!
-A Pen Name

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Do politicians even READ the constitution anymore?
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:59 am »
Are we sure the majority of them can even read at all?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 12:36:44 am »
What annoys me is that our politicians propose legislation that they know full well is unconstitutional, just because they know it will stay on the books unless and until someone challenges it.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 12:51:26 am »

This.^

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 12:52:28 am »
Calling ACLU...

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:58:29 am »
As a proud New Yorker (for the last 4 and a half years, as of yesterday), this is fucking STUPID.  First Amendment exists for a reason, dumbfucks!
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 03:26:00 am »
I think I just don't understand American constitutional law all that well, but in what way is the first amendment being violated? To my understanding the first amendment is freedom of speech and expression, but does not in any way guarantee someones right to be anonymous while making that speech. This bill does not stop people from speaking, only that they do so in a personal capacity. So basically you can say exactly the same thing on the internet as if you were out on the street and saying it in public yourself. However, like I said that is just my interpretation of this.

That said though, this is a stupid plan. This will be almost impossible to implement as the internet stretches far beyond state boundaries. People will just stop using new york based sites, and may strongly harm any internet related business of those sites. There are many ways to deal with cyber bullying, but this is not one of them.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 06:54:34 am »
What annoys me is that our politicians propose legislation that they know full well is unconstitutional, just because they know it will stay on the books unless and until someone challenges it.

Indeed. This is one reason I really think there needs to be some sort of constitutional review process that takes place before new laws take effect. ‘Cause wining a lawsuit doesn’t really undo all the damage done to whoever was lucky enough to be the first person wronged by the law.

Quite frankly, I also think if it can be shown a legislator knowingly and willingly passed a law that so flagrantly violated the Constitution that there should be severe legal consequences. Of course, that sort of thing would get pretty fuzzy in practice, so even in this case I wouldn’t expect much to come of such a rule. But hopefully, such a rule would help keep legislators on their toes.
-A Pen Name

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 09:31:19 am »
Going with the assumption that this passes and all of that, don't these guys realize that people could just use fake names, anyway?
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 12:34:45 pm »
Going with the assumption that this passes and all of that, don't these guys realize that people could just use fake names, anyway?

I'm going with "Jim Conte".
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 12:37:13 pm »
I think I just don't understand American constitutional law all that well, but in what way is the first amendment being violated? To my understanding the first amendment is freedom of speech and expression, but does not in any way guarantee someones right to be anonymous while making that speech. This bill does not stop people from speaking, only that they do so in a personal capacity. So basically you can say exactly the same thing on the internet as if you were out on the street and saying it in public yourself. However, like I said that is just my interpretation of this.

That said though, this is a stupid plan. This will be almost impossible to implement as the internet stretches far beyond state boundaries. People will just stop using new york based sites, and may strongly harm any internet related business of those sites. There are many ways to deal with cyber bullying, but this is not one of them.

Being Anon is also a form of protest you could argue which the First Amendment also covers.  Ah-hah you say, so being a cyberbully is protesting eh?  No says I, the handsome 'raptor with a heart of pure plasma and a gun that can level planets.  It's for the legit protesters who use anon to protest crap like this.  And again, people will just use fake names.

Ironbite-really all this does is waste people's time and money.