Author Topic: Creationist Science Hindered By A Lack of Trained Scientists  (Read 9330 times)

Offline EvilEdwin

• Neonate
From the Institute of Creation Research:

ICR, together with the rest of the creation science movement, has made great strides in the last 40 years. In many areas, the superiority of the creation worldview has been clearly demonstrated. Even now, ICR is making exciting discoveries in the fields of biology and geology, and we have started new research initiatives in the field of astronomy. However, there is much work that still needs to be done, and this work is hindered by a lack of trained scientists.

and

For those who do have an interest in science, we wish to offer a few words of advice. Work hard to get the best possible grades and push yourself to truly understand the material. When choosing a school, choose one with a rigorous academic program and a research program that truly interests you. Although you should not be dishonest about what you believe, it’s probably prudent to not draw attention to your creationist beliefs while you are a student, particularly if you are in a field that directly touches upon the origins controversy (such as paleontology, biology, or geology).

with some persecution complex thrown in as well

Given the increasing anti-Christian sentiment in society and the academic persecution in the secular universities, there may very well come a day when it will no longer be possible for a Bible-believing Christian to get an advanced degree in the natural sciences.

http://www.icr.org/article/7096/

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Creationist Science Hindered By A Lack of Trained Scientists
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 05:28:36 am »
What "discoveries" have they made? The fact that there really IS NOT a huge number of Creationist scientists?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 05:38:19 am »
What "discoveries" have they made? The fact that there really IS NOT a huge number of Creationist scientists?
Well, that in itself is a very good discovery and a victory to science. ;)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 06:02:45 am »
It's cute that creationists still think they are practising science.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:45:25 am »
I love how they basically say "get the best marks possible, but don't believe anything you learn." or "We know what you already believe so get the highest degree you can get while completely ignoring the principles of science."

The good news is that, that very encouragement is probably what turns a lot of would be creationist scientists into real scientists who do actual science.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
Am I the only one struck by the fact that the girl in that pic looks like a 14yo doing her first science project?

Also, what's with this obsession with "bringing glory to the Creator"? What would an omnipotent being care what we mere insects think of him?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Distind

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 02:15:41 pm »
Numerous advances in fossilizing teddy bears.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:31:09 pm »
And here I was, thinking that the reason creation research was hindered was that they study a fictional subject and their results are constrained to agree with mythology.

Now that they point it out, the fact that interest in science is inversely correlated with belief in creationism could be an obstacle, as well.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:11 pm »
My reaction to the topic title was "Gee, what a fucking surprise" ;D

Then again I stopped believing in Young Earth Creationism long before I stopped being a fundie, even.  Instead, I believed in what someone more or less stated as "God striking the primordial ooze with a bolt of lightning and then sitting back and watching things happen."  (They put it much more eloquently than that, but I can't remember.)

Or, basically, evolution with a bit of a divine nudge.  To me, that was a more fantastic method of "Creating things" - pushing the right button and watching the Divine Rube Goldberg machine go and do stuff. Rather than "This shall be! *POOF* This shall be! *POOF*"

...Of course now I believe that the gods (all of them) are actually younger than the universe and that the universe itself is the "creator" so there you go.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Iconic Komodo Dragon 2

• Bishop
  • Try not to bleed to much.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:52 pm »
Given the increasing anti-Christian sentiment in society and the academic persecution in the secular universities, there may very well come a day when it will no longer be possible for a Bible-believing Christian to get an advanced degree in the natural sciences.
"People have stopped believing are bullshit!"
I support the SCP Foundation.

I'm 91 kilograms, 2.59 meters long; Have 57 strains of bacteria in my mouth, and can eat 80% of my weight in food in a single sitting.
LAAAAYYYYDDDDIIEEES...( ͡° ͜ʖ͡°)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 03:16:32 pm »
I remember once seeing a "scientist" from the Creation Science Museum being interviewed and he said that any evidence they find that contradicts what they want to believe they just ignore and act like it doesn't exist. "Scientist" my ass.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Errata

• Neonate
  • Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »
How many calories do you think you burn pulling off that level of double think? It must be tiring.
Signature

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 04:35:19 pm »
I intend to devote serious attention to creationist research as soon as I find it.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:50 pm »
How many calories do you think you burn pulling off that level of double think? It must be tiring.

Oh, so THAT'S what ICR is for!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 12:46:20 am »
My reaction to the topic title was "Gee, what a fucking surprise" ;D

Then again I stopped believing in Young Earth Creationism long before I stopped being a fundie, even.  Instead, I believed in what someone more or less stated as "God striking the primordial ooze with a bolt of lightning and then sitting back and watching things happen."  (They put it much more eloquently than that, but I can't remember.)

Or, basically, evolution with a bit of a divine nudge.  To me, that was a more fantastic method of "Creating things" - pushing the right button and watching the Divine Rube Goldberg machine go and do stuff. Rather than "This shall be! *POOF* This shall be! *POOF*"

My current beliefs exactly. To me, evolution is one of G-d's more brilliant inventions.

Alternatively, I see G-d watching the universe unfold and muttering, "Just as planned"
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!