Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2066485 times)

Offline Valerius

• Pope
  • Gentlemen.
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #6645 on: July 23, 2013, 11:29:33 pm »
But the common saying is that God is love, so the distinction seems odd. God's love is God itself, then, so we must deduce that atomic matter is in fact God. Atomic matters being almost everything we encounter in our lives, the inescapable conclusion is that Ray Comfort is trying to convert us to an odd variation on the theme of pantheism, where God is not everything but close enough for most purposes.

So, Einstein's God, then? :P

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #6646 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:01 pm »
Of course, it all makes sense! If the sun is made of concentrated God love, then clearly that must mean that God's love manifests as hydrogen, which is indeed heavily concentrated in stars and that's what allows nuclear fusion to take place. But the sun also has non-negligible amounts of helium, which is what hydrogen turns into after fusion, so that must mean that God's love is also helium. Which makes sense, hydrogen is just a proton, an electron, maybe one or two neutrons, the same component parts of helium. If all these are God's love, we can extend the principle to show that everything composed of atoms is God's love.

But the common saying is that God is love, so the distinction seems odd. God's love is God itself, then, so we must deduce that atomic matter is in fact God. Atomic matters being almost everything we encounter in our lives, the inescapable conclusion is that Ray Comfort is trying to convert us to an odd variation on the theme of pantheism, where God is not everything but close enough for most purposes.

Stop. You're hurting all those poor fundamentalists' heads. They can't read or comprehend science.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6647 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:51 am »
Of course, it all makes sense! If the sun is made of concentrated God love, then clearly that must mean that God's love manifests as hydrogen, which is indeed heavily concentrated in stars and that's what allows nuclear fusion to take place. But the sun also has non-negligible amounts of helium, which is what hydrogen turns into after fusion, so that must mean that God's love is also helium. Which makes sense, hydrogen is just a proton, an electron, maybe one or two neutrons, the same component parts of helium. If all these are God's love, we can extend the principle to show that everything composed of atoms is God's love.

Stop. You're hurting all those poor fundamentalists' heads. They can't read or comprehend science.

Fun fact: this version is scienced-down a fair bit from the first one I wrote. The original brought up mathematical induction, the iron peak and nucleosynthesis.
Σא

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6648 on: July 24, 2013, 12:47:20 am »

So I'm God.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6649 on: July 24, 2013, 01:08:26 am »

So I'm God.
Well they do say that humans have been made in God's image. Maybe this simply refers to the fact that all living things have been made from the atom's that -as Sigmaleph explained- are God's manifestation.

And that why God is omnipresent.

Also, does this mean that the "anti-Christ" simply refers to anti-matter? Or are there beings made from anti-matter that are by their very existence living in opposition to God? I guess that means that finding the anti-Christ, if he does appear amongst us, won't be difficult. Dude will just blow up and turn into energy when he gets too close to Earth.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6650 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:57 am »
Speaking of "scientific interpretations of biblical statements", before I stopped being a Christian (but when I stopped believing in the Bible as the "Word of God"), I used to think of Genesis as a pre-science human's attempts to understand the big bang and evolution as shown to him through a vision given by God.

Then I stopped believing in even that.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #6651 on: July 24, 2013, 02:08:28 am »
Speaking of "scientific interpretations of biblical statements", before I stopped being a Christian (but when I stopped believing in the Bible as the "Word of God"), I used to think of Genesis as a pre-science human's attempts to understand the big bang and evolution as shown to him through a vision given by God.

Then I stopped believing in even that.

This actually reminds me of something in one of sfdebris' (internet sci-fi reviewer) reviews.  It was a long joke about how the story of Genesis came into existence when God was trying to explain how life works to Moses using scientific terms; he had to keep progressively dumbing down the explanation with metaphors because Moses, being from such a primitive time, simply could not comprehend the scientific concepts God was trying to explain to him.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6652 on: July 24, 2013, 02:28:29 am »
There's always one asshole...

"Go home Frank, we are all tired of your jokes."

Or possibly two:

"Try to ignore him. Maybe he'll stop doing it if we don't pay attention to him."

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/22/stormtrooper-turns-up-at-battle-of-hastings-re-enactment-3893524/?ITO=facebook
Apparently those pictures were taken after the English history event was over so those two weren't part of the show. They just turned up there afterwards.

...Maybe they had been in a cosplay event nearby and wanted to see the other event as well?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6653 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #6654 on: July 24, 2013, 02:35:57 pm »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6656 on: July 24, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »

So I'm God.
Well they do say that humans have been made in God's image. Maybe this simply refers to the fact that all living things have been made from the atom's that -as Sigmaleph explained- are God's manifestation.

And that why God is omnipresent.

Also, does this mean that the "anti-Christ" simply refers to anti-matter? Or are there beings made from anti-matter that are by their very existence living in opposition to God? I guess that means that finding the anti-Christ, if he does appear amongst us, won't be difficult. Dude will just blow up and turn into energy when he gets too close to Earth.

What's more, every single atom that comprises every living thing has originated from deep inside a star e.g. we are all made from stardust, so chitoryu might be correct in that we all are God.
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline Hoplite

• The Beast
« Reply #6657 on: July 24, 2013, 04:07:37 pm »
Good luck is nothing but being in shape to act with the universe when the universe says, "Now!" - John Gardner, The Sunlight Dialogues

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #6658 on: July 24, 2013, 04:13:59 pm »

Which Anime is Girl Chuck Yeager from? I recognize all the rest but not that one. WHAT? WHAT? Why are you looking at me with those "Pervert!" stares?
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6659 on: July 24, 2013, 04:53:31 pm »
Σא