Author Topic: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread  (Read 2065369 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: The Funny/Stupid Pics Thread
« Reply #9510 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:02 pm »
I'm upset by all of the Egyptian Gods being played by white people.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9511 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:03 pm »
Moses is being played by a white man.

Ironbite-any argument you have for this movie is instantly negated.

Considering Moses never even existed, I'll let an equally-fictional white Moses slide. The whole thing is fiction; if it's a good film, I might even go see it.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #9512 on: July 29, 2014, 10:41:06 pm »
I'm upset that this isn't the Wonder Woman movie that's been overdue since Superman vs Batman.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9513 on: July 29, 2014, 11:18:44 pm »

Considering Moses never even existed, I'll let an equally-fictional white Moses slide. The whole thing is fiction; if it's a good film, I might even go see it.

Would you say the same about an adaptation of The Lord of the Rings where Frodo is not a hobbit?

Actually asking, not rhetorical.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9514 on: July 29, 2014, 11:26:44 pm »

Would you say the same about an adaptation of The Lord of the Rings where Frodo is not a hobbit?

Or an adaptation of A Thousand and One Nights where all the main characters are played by white people?

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #9515 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:36 pm »

Well, since you mentioned hobbits...

Steve Bein said it more concisely than I could have in the author's note in Daughter of the Sword:
There is a scene in the film adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring that got the attention of some vociferous critics with a lot of time on their hands. The four hobbits sit around their campfire on Amon Sȗl cooking a dinner of tomatoes, sausages, and nice, crispy bacon. The critics complained that tomatoes are a New World food, and that it is therefore unrealistic for hobbits to be eating them. This sort of complaint tickles me. Four hobbits travel in the company of a ranger still in the prime of life at eighty-seven years old, they search for a wizard on a hill with an Elvish name, they are soon to be attacked by deathless wraiths, and what's unrealistic about this scene is that they're eating tomatoes.

Really, if it's the book of Exodus we're talking about, getting the skin colors "wrong" is one of the least fantastical elements in that narrative.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9516 on: July 30, 2014, 12:16:51 am »
I'm upset that this isn't the Wonder Woman movie that's been overdue since Superman vs Batman.
Oh man, I remember this long rant about Wonder Woman that started out with complaining that she was created ONLY because someone wanted to make a *shiver* female superhero and therefore she is a fake and bad character. He went on complaining about everything and all of his complaints were based on "her character only exists because they wanted a female superhero" and he literally believed that this negated every good story or characterisation of her.

As in he literally went like "Yeah, you would think that X is good and it would be if it had happened to another character, but that totally does not count because her character only exists because they wanted a female superhero." There are male superhero characters that got started because some writer had a funny concept or wanted to write something that his boss hates. There are characters like Deadpool that got started as a cheap copy of another company's character. In fact, DP was a horrible and boring character in the beginning and only improved after a long time and being completely redone.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9517 on: July 30, 2014, 03:15:46 am »
I'm upset by all of the Egyptian Gods being played by white people.

To be fair, they're gods and not actual human egyptians.  The argument can therefore be made that the ethenticity of the actors playing them does not matter... especially if the god in question has the head of an animal and hence doesn't even look human.  It is often the case that people imagine their gods' physical appearance to be similar to their own yes, but:

a) animal heads
b) that's not always the case - for example Italian renaissance art is full of depictions of a pale skined, red haired Jesus.  Pale skin and red hair are not features that are common in Italy to say the least.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:18:04 am by Katsuro »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9518 on: July 30, 2014, 06:34:26 am »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9519 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:32 am »

Well, since you mentioned hobbits...

Steve Bein said it more concisely than I could have in the author's note in Daughter of the Sword:
There is a scene in the film adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring that got the attention of some vociferous critics with a lot of time on their hands. The four hobbits sit around their campfire on Amon Sȗl cooking a dinner of tomatoes, sausages, and nice, crispy bacon. The critics complained that tomatoes are a New World food, and that it is therefore unrealistic for hobbits to be eating them. This sort of complaint tickles me. Four hobbits travel in the company of a ranger still in the prime of life at eighty-seven years old, they search for a wizard on a hill with an Elvish name, they are soon to be attacked by deathless wraiths, and what's unrealistic about this scene is that they're eating tomatoes.

Mostly tangential to the argument: While I agree that bothering to consider whether tomatoes would exist in Middle-Earth is pedantic, I've never been fond of the "The story has [fantastic element] and [mundane mistake] is what bothers you?" argument. The general assumption of any story with fantasy elements is that it diverges partially from reality, but on the things that it has explicitly stated so, and the rest is standard. If I'm reading a fantasy novel and the characters speak English, then I assume all the words mean the same until the book states otherwise. If the book has human characters, I assume their biology is the same as real humans, unless the book explicitly states they have naturally-occurring red eyes or something, and then all non-red-eyes parts are human standard.

So then when I complain e.g. that one character's pregnancy could not have have come to term in the time the book says it did, saying "these people have magical powers and you're worried about four-month pregnancy" is stupid, because four-month pregnancies are not part of the deliberate fantasy elements introduced by the book; it's an actual author mistake.

What does that have to do with anything? Very little, I just felt like ranting. Though I will observe that changing the race of Moses is no the same kind of unrealism as turning staves into snakes or parting the sea, because once again, those are the explicit fantasy "God did magic here" parts of the story, whereas it's not really part of the story that God changed Moses' race, it's just convenient casting.

The problem is never the degree of unrealism. The problem is whether the story embraces that unrealism as part of the things it has decided "yes, I'm making shit up here" vs the parts that are presumably the same as the real world.

Of course, this is all complicated by the fact that according to the Bible, nothing is in the former category. But if you're gonna take Exodus as a story rather than history then I think the dividing line is pretty clear.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9520 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:26 am »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #9521 on: August 01, 2014, 10:14:49 pm »
Whee double standards!

Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9522 on: August 02, 2014, 03:01:46 am »

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #9523 on: August 02, 2014, 04:00:32 am »

...  Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't think I get this one.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9524 on: August 02, 2014, 04:16:33 am »
...  Maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't think I get this one.
I think it's just the fact that someone, somewhere thought spaghetti with banana slices was a good idea.