Author Topic: Good Things Religion has Done  (Read 43002 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Good Things Religion has Done
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:53 am »
Yup.  One of my friends put it this way: Islam is basically Christianity, with a different savior, and polygamy instead of pork.

And getting virgin wives in paradise.
Isn't that just some mistranslation? I remember hearing that it would actually be 72 dried grapes or something like that.

Well that's a pretty glaring error that nobody has bothered to correct in a later printing then =P

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »
Thanks to their religion, the Ancient Hebrews came up with the idea of the law being a power unto itself.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2013, 03:39:00 pm »
I never heard of the 72 virgins being the result of a mistranslation. I did find out from a Muslim-born (but no longer practicing) classmate from my college years that Muslim paradise is different for men and women. Men get virgins to boink, women apparently get their own grand house, sometimes also land and servants. Kinda telling of the cultural beliefs about what matters to men and women based on that--men wanna get their dicks wet, women just want to keep house.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2013, 05:52:27 pm »
The "72 white raisins" thing is an argument by essentially one guy, as far as I can tell.

@Dynamic Dragon: Can you expand on that? Intuitively, one would think that a law that is dictated and enforced by an omnipotent deity is not a power unto itself.
Σא

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2013, 04:16:53 am »
http://wikiislam.net/wiki/72_Virgins

The article above may help.

Also, I learned something new when reading that. I already know virgins are promised to devote muslim men, but the um... priapism part... well ouch. That sounds like a punishment not a reward.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2013, 03:14:57 am »
I like the joke where it's 72 Virginians, which results in Osama bin Laden getting the crap beaten out of him by the Founding Fathers.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:13 am »
*snip*

@Dynamic Dragon: Can you expand on that? Intuitively, one would think that a law that is dictated and enforced by an omnipotent deity is not a power unto itself.
Basically, the idea is that the Ten Commandments are a force in themselves, and no government is needed to enforce them.  Hence, the Hebrews didn't have kings until the Philistines came along.  Instead, they had judges, people selected to enforce God's laws.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 04:57:06 pm »
*snip*

Basically, the idea is that the Ten Commandments are a force in themselves, and no government is needed to enforce them.  Hence, the Hebrews didn't have kings until the Philistines came along.  Instead, they had judges, people selected to enforce God's laws.

Yeah, the Hebrews saw a king more as a leader of their military than as an enforcer of laws.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 06:34:45 pm »
*snip*

I'm not sure it's better to have your laws dictated by dead religious leaders rather than living political leaders. Not sure it's necessarily worse, either.
Σא

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:48 am »
Religion has motivated people to do great things.  For example, Islam helped to turn the Middle East into a land of culture, learning, and prosperity.  It remained that way for centuries.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2013, 12:46:26 pm »
And now look at it.

Ironbite-all in the name of Islam.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2013, 01:14:14 pm »
And now look at it.

Ironbite-all in the name of Islam.
I just wanted to point out that Islam has done good in the past, and probably will do good in the future.

Offline Reality Warper

• Bishop
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2013, 09:32:31 am »
Yeah, that's like judging all Catholicism by the horrible things the church did in the Renaissance.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »
Exactly.  Did you know that Iraq was once a great center of culture and learning?

Offline Reality Warper

• Bishop
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »
I think religion managed to reform a brutal conqueror in India.  I can't remember who it was right now.