Author Topic: Court Recognizes Biological Motherhood Of Lesbian Couple  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Court Recognizes Biological Motherhood Of Lesbian Couple
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:41 pm »
http://www.lifesite.net/news/israeli-court-recognizes-biological-motherhood-of-two-lesbians-for-one-chil

March 13, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) - An Israeli court has ruled that two lesbians who created a child through in-vitro fertilization are both biological mothers of the child, according to reports in the Israeli media.

The couple, which is not named, reportedly conceived the child in-vitro with the egg of one partner and the sperm of a male donor in 2006. The embryo was then implanted in the womb of the other lesbian partner.

When Israel’s Interior Ministry decided that the birth mother was the only mother, and that the other partner would have to adopt to obtain parental rights, the couple sued, claiming sex discrimination on the grounds that a man who contributed his sperm would likely win in a similar paternity suit, according to the Jerusalem Post.

Well, this is progress.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: Court Recognizes Biological Motherhood Of Lesbian Couple
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:23:09 pm »
Am I a horrible person for wondering, "What will the crazy Christian fundamentalists who think Jews and Israel are awesome say?"

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:29:46 pm »
Am I a horrible person for wondering, "What will the crazy Christian fundamentalists who think Jews and Israel are awesome say?"

No, you are not.

Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:51:23 pm »

No, you are not.

Definitely not. Those same fundies have way to much pull, and that kind of shit could have some real consequences. It is a good thing to wonder about that.
-A Pen Name

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:30:22 pm »
Essentially the fundies dont care about Israel as long as it keeps expanding

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »

Christian fundies are counting on Israel to be an ally against other Middle Eastern nations.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:12:06 pm »

Christian fundies are counting on Israel to be an ally against other Middle Eastern nations.
Depends on the fundie
dominionist fundies need Israel to expand and  be purged of palestinians to bring forth the rapture. 

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:14 am »

Did a quick scan of RR hoping that they'd have a thread on it, but couldn't find anything.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:03 pm »
Israel is actually pretty far ahead of the US on gay rights. Gays have been serving openly in the IDF for nearly 20 years. They are legally protected from discrimination, and Tel Aviv is a very gay-friendly city (Jerusalem, not so much). There have been two gay MKs, both from Meretz (a small, left-wing party).

Same-sex marriage, however, is more complicated. The problem is that secular marriage does not exist in Israel - all marriages must be approved by the appropriate religious leadership. Gays, therefore, find themselves in the same boat as Reform Jews who do not wish an Orthodox ceremony or interfaith couples. Fortunately, the same workaround for these groups works for gays: get married in another country. Israel DOES recognize marriages performed abroad, including same-sex marriages.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 09:03:46 pm »
Israel is actually pretty far ahead of the US on gay rights. Gays have been serving openly in the IDF for nearly 20 years. They are legally protected from discrimination, and Tel Aviv is a very gay-friendly city (Jerusalem, not so much). There have been two gay MKs, both from Meretz (a small, left-wing party).

Same-sex marriage, however, is more complicated. The problem is that secular marriage does not exist in Israel - all marriages must be approved by the appropriate religious leadership. Gays, therefore, find themselves in the same boat as Reform Jews who do not wish an Orthodox ceremony or interfaith couples. Fortunately, the same workaround for these groups works for gays: get married in another country. Israel DOES recognize marriages performed abroad, including same-sex marriages.

So they don't have any alternative that gives the same benefits of marriage, just under a different name?
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:11:04 pm »
Not to my knowledge. However, it's not as simple a matter of them banning same-sex marriage - after all, all a gay couple has to do is hold the ceremony in another country, and they're set. Legalizing gay marriage would require either the religious authorities to permit it (not a chance) or an overhaul of marriage law in Israel (more likely).

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

Israel seems to be a bit of an odd duck when it comes to progressive versus conservative values. They're fairly progression in some regards, such as allowing women to serve on the front lines (although that might be a natural extension of the way it handles its military), gay rights being relatively advanced compared with quite a few nations, particularly in the middle east, and so on, yet they're also incredibly conservative in other aspects. The dynamic within the country is quite fascinating, from a sociological perspective.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)