Community > Society and History

Dating and Age

(1/8) > >>

Sleepy:
I've been wondering what other people think about this, partially out of curiosity and partially because my friend is looking to date a woman who's ten years older than him. For me, I wouldn't want my partner to be more than five years older than me. I think that's because of me worrying about differences between generations, but also not wanting to be widowed so darn early. (I can't date someone five years younger -- I'm 21 and that'd be weird.) With other people, I tend to view it on a case-by-case basis, though I think more than ~20 years difference has the potential to cause to a lot of relationship issues. What do you guys think?

Note: The "Love knows no bounds" option does not include folks who are underage. By choosing that option, you're not endorsing a 50-year-old dating a 12-year-old.

ThunderWulf:
Personally I wouldn't want that huge of a difference (5 years most), BUT I have known some happy couples that were like 10-15 years apart.

lazerfrog:
I'd personally pick the "love knows no bounds" option if there was a stipulation that it excluded underage people.  You can potentially have a successful relationship with anyone you're willing to commit enough time and effort to, but it's important to keep in mind that people at different stages in life will most likely have different, sometimes even conflicting goals and values. 

Sleepy:

--- Quote from: lazerfrog on January 06, 2013, 12:50:36 pm ---I'd personally pick the "love knows no bounds" option if there was a stipulation that it excluded underage people.  You can potentially have a successful relationship with anyone you're willing to commit enough time and effort to, but it's important to keep in mind that people at different stages in life will most likely have different, sometimes even conflicting goals and values. 

--- End quote ---

Good point. I'll make a note of that.

nickiknack:
I went with the "love knows no bounds" option, because as long they're both consenting adults, I could care less. Through personally, it does seem a bit awkward when there's a big age difference. You have no idea how many people I've developed a crush on who are around 18, but I feel like a "cougar" for having the said crush.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version