Community > Society and History

Costa Concordia Captain: I Regret Nothing

(1/3) > >>

Meshakhad:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/16/16531308-former-costa-concordia-captain-i-regret-nothing?lite

--- Quote ---NAPLES, Italy -- The former captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner says he understands why some people "hate" him, but has no regrets about his actions in the aftermath of the shipwreck that left 32 people dead.

Francesco Schettino did not attend the unveiling of memorials in Giglio, Italy, over the weekend as survivors and victims' families marked the one-year anniversary of the accident. Instead, the luxury cruise liner’s former captain was at his home near Naples, where he lives under some court restrictions.

Accused of multiple manslaughter, causing the wreck and abandoning ship, Schettino told NBC News the toughest part of the aftermath of the crash was that people think he did not try to help the situation after he took the ship off course during a sail-by salute of the coast.
Advertise | AdChoices

“Everybody believes that I was escaping from the sinking ship,” he said. However, Schettino contended he “tried to make an effort to make sure that I was the last one to leave the ship — from the sinking side."
--- End quote ---

I still think we ought to keelhaul the bastard.

kefkaownsall:
Make him walk the plank

Katsuro:
Did he shout, "YOLO!" before going off course to sail closer to the shore?

Lt. Fred:
Frankly, I don't mind his post-crash actions. Some people are cowards, that's a personality flaw not a moral crime.

Now, sailing through a million black holes to speed you up- that's a crime, and not just a moral one.

kefkaownsall:
I do since legally if your ship crashes you are obligated to aid the passengers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version