Author Topic: Girl Show Ghetto  (Read 10370 times)

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Re: Girl Show Ghetto
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 12:29:01 am »
By the way...

Ugh, I'm so sick of people dismissing a work and being totally ignorant about it at the same time,

I reject the "Brony" label (and again, I haven't gotten into the show yet)

Ironic.  You're rejecting/dismissing a fandom and label while being ignorant of it.  Sure, you know a little, but you can't really be part of the fandom if you DON'T EVEN WATCH THE SHOW.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:42:46 am »
The Powepuff Girls were awesome.

I don't know, I thought The Powerpuff Girls was pretty good.
*sings* Fighting crime, trying to save the woooorld...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJVND1lqM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mJVND1lqM0</a>

What immediately came to my mind was the above mentioned She-Ra and also Jem.   
I freaking loved Jem as a kid. Still do, Eric(the bad CEO guy) was dick.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:50:42 am by Empress Nicki »

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 01:12:39 am »
To me, a Brony is a racist, sexist, homophobic (if it doesn't involve lesbianism, but still a double-standard), transphobic, etc. sack of shit who self-worth themselves over a fucking show for girls and slams anyone who isn't into the show.
I say we judge fans of something strictly by its worst elements! Also all otakus are into hentai of underage schoolgirls and tentacle monsters.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38:29 am »
Most writers are men?  I dunno about that assertion.  I see plenty of credits roll for plenty of shows, and I see a good share of women in the names.  Unless you have some statistics, I'm calling bullshit on that one.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/tv-writing-remains-white-mans-world-writers-guild-study-finds-82556
http://www.thewrap.com/music/article/sexist-hollywood-women-still-struggle-find-film-jobs-study-finds-74076
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/11/26/the_dan_harmon_theory_of_how_to_get_more_women_writing_television_convince.html

The general findings are that only about 15-25% of TV and film writers are women, and 68% of TV shows have no women writing for them at all.  Women still work in TV and film, but they're not the ones calling the shots most of the time.

Well, I wanted stats and I got them.  I want to debunk the conclusions made by them, but that's gonna take some research.  Also I have yet to read them.

Thanks for following through with stats.  That's really cool.

Alehksu Kihdo:  Gonna be another one of these people eh?  How about you not judge people by the name of the groups they wish to associate with?  That'd be great, okay?  What you're doing is no different from what fundies do to atheists.  Seriously dude.  Not cool.

I don't really see how that article is related to what Alehksu Kihdo said... She wasn't saying that MLP was bad, but the "bronies" are.

I agree with both of you though. Bronies tend to be dicks just like Alehksu said, but it isn't cool to shame everyone who calls themselves bronies.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 04:07:50 pm »

Mind you, Jem did have some of the stereotypical girls show shit.  But only SOME.  But then have a show about a girl band, and that sort of thing is going to come up.  However it ALSO had relationship issues, drama, action, romance, cat fights, kissing, and real world issues.  They covered illiteracy, being an orphan, being abandoned by a parent, parental death, parental issues, and the list goes on. 

What Jem happened to be was an animated dramatic musical.  And the music was surprisingly good, in some instances.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »

Mind you, Jem did have some of the stereotypical girls show shit.  But only SOME.  But then have a show about a girl band, and that sort of thing is going to come up.  However it ALSO had relationship issues, drama, action, romance, cat fights, kissing, and real world issues.  They covered illiteracy, being an orphan, being abandoned by a parent, parental death, parental issues, and the list goes on. 

What Jem happened to be was an animated dramatic musical.  And the music was surprisingly good, in some instances.

Is wrong that I enjoyed the rival band's(The Misfits) music more than Jem and the Holograms music??

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 04:38:35 pm »
I think the key is that the issue generally is that a girl show is generally, well, made to appeal to a niche. Most boys shows... aren't called so. I mean, GI Joe is probably one of the few shows I would say were marketed to boyhood, but that division of boy/girl is more General shows versus the niche/genre that is targeted at girls. I don't tend to consider PPG a girls show since it didn't really focus on appealing to that audience in any discernible fashion other than female leads, but female leads a girls show does not make. MLP is definitely more targeting that demographic and has the clear pieces for it, but it's layered with all the aspects a good show has as well. It's in the girl show genre, but it doesn't believe it can just copy paste the genre and get success.

Sorta like Legend of Korra is definitely not a girls show, despite the female lead, I suppose. Though the whole love triangle thing annoyed the crap out of me because Korra and the older brother had like zero chemistry other than him being the mystery loner.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
On a side note, I really hated G.I. Joe.  It was a show that, even if it was the only thing on, I wouldn't watch.  I probably would've just turned it off to go read a book.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 08:48:11 pm »
Off topic, but I don't understand the title of this thread.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:25 pm »
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline nickiknack

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 09:03:18 pm »
On a side note, I really hated G.I. Joe.  It was a show that, even if it was the only thing on, I wouldn't watch.  I probably would've just turned it off to go read a book.
And on that note, I've just been reminded of how much I enjoy those altered G.I.Joe PSAs that are on youtube

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-ckU_D1fg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-ckU_D1fg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO8lHGXWMzo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO8lHGXWMzo</a>

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15:47 pm »
Pork chop sandwiches!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:50 am »

I mostly was just like "Just shoot somebody!" The main issue with me is that it's a show about war where NOBODY DIES.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »

I mostly was just like "Just shoot somebody!" The main issue with me is that it's a show about war where NOBODY DIES.
I think in the comics people died a lot I cannot remember I have not read the m in a long ass time.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 10:06:09 pm »

And now you know.