Author Topic: Arguments against common arguments.  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
Arguments against common arguments.
« on: February 03, 2013, 12:35:00 am »
Basically, give an example of a common argument you hear and then explain why it's wrong. If citations are needed then please provide them.
I think this thread will be useful, because if you're ever in a debate with a pro-lifer, homophobic, racist, or whatever other kind of fundie, you already know what they're probably going to say and how to respond to them. It doesn't just have to be arguments, it can be common jokes that are fundie and comebacks for them, or whatever else you can think of.

I'll start.
Pro-lifers often say Planned Parenthood is racist. First they quote Margaret Sanger when she said something about not wanting the public to think she was trying to exterminate African Americans. Well the quote was out of context. She didn't want the public to have the false assumption that she was trying to exterminate African Americans.

Also, you can mention how Martin Luther King graciously accepted Planned Parenthood's Margaret Sanger award. I know it's not the best argument but they seem to get pretty pissed about it.

"There is a striking kinship between our movement and Margaret Sanger’s early efforts. She, like we, saw the horrifying conditions of ghetto life. Like we, she knew that all of society is poisoned by cancerous slums. Like we, she was a direct actionist — a nonviolent resister… She launched a movement which is obeying a higher law to preserve human life under humane conditions. Margaret Sanger had to commit what was then called a crime in order to enrich humanity, and today we honor her courage and vision; for without them there would have been no beginning."

Source: http://www.salon.com/2011/11/02/was_planned_parenthoods_founder_racist/
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Art Vandelay

Re: Arguments against common arguments.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:07 am »

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:48 am »
Have a big fuckoff list of common logical fallacies.

I wasn't talking about common fallacies... I was talking about common arguments. I mean, they are related though, so I guess I'll give you an oatmeal raisin cookie if you feel like it.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 01:05:46 am »
Nah, I'm good.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 01:08:23 am »

Take the cookies bitch you earned that shit.

Holy hell am i tired.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:27:30 am »
I freely admit that I'm a bad person, but even I don't deserve raisins in my cookies.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:10:43 am »
I'll take 'em!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 05:35:13 pm »
"X prophecy came true, therefore the entire Bible is true."

But every single one has to pass the test for the Bible to be considered divinely inspired and infallible. Even if 99 out of 100 prophecies came true, which would be remarkable, if it got even 1 wrong, then it proves the Bible was not written by God. As it stands, they got lots of things wrong, like the permanent destruction of Tyre, and the Babylonians conquering Egypt. So pointing out one that happened to be right doesn't work.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 05:56:52 pm »
If you start arguing while I'm napping you'll wish you hadn't.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:44:29 am »

Take the cookies bitch you earned that shit.

Holy hell am i tired.

These look like little round piles of frozen vomit.

Very appetising.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 06:42:51 pm »
fuck you guys, more cookies for me!

... I should make Snickerdoodles this next weekend.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36:17 pm »
Well, speaking of cookies...
The argument of "Fat people shouldn't get free health care since they chose to be fat" kinda pisses me off. No matter how much will power they have they can't just drop a hundred pounds on the spot. Plus if they're having a heart attack at that moment it's not like "you shouldn't have gotten so fat" is going to fly. You wouldn't tell someone who just got out of a coma from a car wreck that they didn't deserve to go to the hospital since they weren't wearing their seatbelt.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 04:46:53 pm »
Well, speaking of cookies...
The argument of "Fat people shouldn't get free health care since they chose to be fat" kinda pisses me off. No matter how much will power they have they can't just drop a hundred pounds on the spot. Plus if they're having a heart attack at that moment it's not like "you shouldn't have gotten so fat" is going to fly. You wouldn't tell someone who just got out of a coma from a car wreck that they didn't deserve to go to the hospital since they weren't wearing their seatbelt.

While I personally believe most cases of obesity can be improved by changing exercise and eating habits, there are some cases where obesity is a symptom of a much more serious disease, such as Prader-Willi syndrome. Patients with PWS have chronic feelings of hunger, and frequently overeat to the point of morbid obesity or even stomach ruptures. Assuming that all cases of obesity are due to some personal fault of the sufferer is a very dangerous line of thinking, and it's no reason to deny someone what could be life-saving medical treatment.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 11:30:59 pm »
I could write a novel on all the "pro-life" arguements I've encountered.

Offline Lucida Console

• Neonate
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:50:47 am »
I could write a novel on all the "pro-life" arguements I've encountered.

And "pro-life" arguments seem to only be applicable while said life is still in the womb. Once out of the womb, it's time to let loose with the bootstraps myth. Funny, that.
Ask them if they are supportive of capital punishment, that's always good for bringing on an "eye for an eye trumps pro-life" moment.
Oh, I don’t reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ.  Mahatma Ghandi