Author Topic: Dumbest Protest Signs  (Read 1115319 times)

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: Dumbest Protest Signs
« Reply #2970 on: January 12, 2014, 11:04:33 pm »
Thing is, people who don't know that "scum" is meant to clarify "cis", rather than amplify it, may well read it as the second, especially given the sentiment expressed by "die"; hence what may be intended as "death to those cissexuals who are scum" is instead received as "all cissexuals are scum and should die".

Except the whole point of adding scum is to differentiate between the -phobic and otherwise cispeople and those who aren't. But, I can't change how someone sees a phrase.

That may be what it is intended to say, but that's not what it comes off as. Let's do what someone said earlier and substitute in other groups of people and see how it sounds.

Die black scum
Die gay scum
Die retarded scum
Die Mexican scum
Die Jew scum

That first one there, if you heard someone say it, do you immediately assume that they only mean the bad ones? Because I've heard plenty of people say "I don't hate black people, I just hate niggers."

This post probably sounds a lot more pissed and confrontational that I intended it to be. This is probably the effect of reading something posted in another thread and getting rather mad.  (Link) This was typed not long after. Not trying to attack you or anyone else Shep.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #2971 on: January 12, 2014, 11:42:22 pm »
In any other context I've ever heard, a phrase like "Die X scum," means that the speaker hates all X and wants them to die (although the phrase may be used in jest). And based on what I've seen (thanks to this forum) of its use in the SJW crowd, that's what it means to a lot of them too. The assertion that it only refers to transphobes and that the addition of the word "scum" makes it "harmless," seems like backpedaling to me.

wrightway

« Reply #2972 on: January 13, 2014, 06:57:29 am »
Back in either October or November I asked a slacktivist if they were using "die cis scum" ironically. They told me they were dreaming of the day the government enacted the purge, just like in the movie, so they could "even the score*." I was going to ask them if they would kill cis identifying children but, given the general whackadoo they were spouting, I decided against it. I was pretty sure I couldn't handle the answer.

So, yeah, I'm pretty sure some of the nutters mixed in amongst the group are serious.

*Talk about an extreme case of comedically missing the point.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2973 on: January 13, 2014, 06:28:24 pm »
Or you fell for Poe's law. But as Queen Pointed out, with 270 hate crime murders of trans women last year, I find it very hard to take die cis scum seriously.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2974 on: January 13, 2014, 07:00:37 pm »
Okay, why don't we continue this discussion elsewhere, like The Doctor suggested?

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #2975 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:23 pm »
Okay, why don't we continue this discussion elsewhere, like The Doctor suggested?
That would be splendid if you all would, thanks. :)

Back on track please, folks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:42:50 pm by The Doctor »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #2976 on: January 14, 2014, 11:23:59 pm »
Yes, BACK ON TRACK.

Moar stupid political cartoons/graphics, please. Thankies!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2977 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:43 am »
Have some more Social Justice nonsense!

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #2978 on: January 16, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
I'm fairly certain neither of those are serious. If you look at the numbers, neither makes any sense whatsoever.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #2979 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:17 am »
I'm fairly certain neither of those are serious. If you look at the numbers, neither makes any sense whatsoever.

Yeah, and I doubt a serious social justice warrior would use the word retarded.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:47:08 am by Flying Mint Bunny! »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2980 on: January 16, 2014, 10:44:17 am »
Why are the Jews considered more privileged than the white/Christians? I thought they were the whipping boys of the western world.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #2981 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:15 am »
Why are the Jews considered more privileged than the white/Christians? I thought they were the whipping boys of the western world.

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories about them being universally rich and secretly controlling the world.
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #2982 on: January 16, 2014, 02:27:26 pm »

Unless you buy into conspiracy theories about them being universally rich and secretly controlling the world.

I didn't think there was any crossover between the social justice warriors and the conspiracy theorist camps.

Besides, wouldn't that put the lizard men/Free Masons on top?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #2983 on: January 16, 2014, 02:34:20 pm »
Well, liberals can be anti-Semites too.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #2984 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:13 pm »
I hope you don't mean that being critical of Israel's policies on many matters of great import and impact qualifies as anti-Semitism? Because quite  lot of liberal Jews do that, too.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.